• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Yeah Disney has people in up to five lines at once (one real line, three FP+, one boarding group), i wouldn't throw around "MORE POPULAR THAN EVER" around while the hotel occupancy is falling. If lines = popular then I'll only send one Pirates boat around.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
Happy that Chapek is taken out of the Parks development since I am not a fan of his vision of slapping IP onto everything.

Though I know whoever takes over will ultimately report to him so I guess nothing will change.
Yeah nothing will change. They could put someone who loves the Disney Parks in there and they would still be denied budget by Chapek.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Disney has people in up to five lines at once (one real line, three FP+, one boarding group), i wouldn't throw around "MORE POPULAR THAN EVER" around while the hotel occupancy is falling. If lines = popular then I'll only send one Pirates boat around.

Nah, I've been going to WDW world constantly for years and years, and the crowds are real. There are no quiet periods anymore. Mid February, middle of the week? Doesn't matter, still a shitload of people. The days of Eisner-era California Adventure where a park could feel intimate and sparse in crowd level is long dead (for good reason, since Eisner-era California Adventure sucked except for Soarin Over California).

I don't follow Disney resort occupancy too much (it's at 92% on average it looks like, slightly down from 94% reported in 2019 - but that's not going to send anyone into a panic), though Disney is over here opening resorts like the Riviera and selling rooms to non-DVC members for $600+ a night (unless you're a Florida resident or Disney Visa cardholder, where you'll get a limited time deal of staying at about $400+ a night instead), and these rooms are selling out more days than not. Room availability is alright during off-season mid-week, but if you dare think about getting a room on a Friday or Saturday (even in February), then your options are very limited.

Disney is a busy fucking place right now. There's never a day it's not busy anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Nah, I've been going to WDW world constantly for years and years, and the crowds are real. There are no quiet periods anymore. Mid February, middle of the week? Doesn't matter, still a shitload of people. The days of Eisner-era California Adventure where a park could feel intimate and sparse in crowd level is long dead (for good reason, since Eisner-era California Adventure sucked except for Soarin Over California).

I don't follow Disney resort occupancy too much (it's at 92% on average it looks like, slightly down from 94% reported in 2019 - but that's not going to send anyone into a panic), though Disney is over here opening resorts like the Riviera and selling rooms to non-DVC members for $600+ a night (unless you're a Florida resident or Disney Visa cardholder, where you'll get a limited time deal of staying at about $400+ a night instead), and these rooms are selling out more days than not. Room availability is alright during off-season mid-week, but if you dare think about getting a room on a Friday or Saturday (even in February), then your options are very limited.

Disney is a busy fucking place right now. There's never a day it's not busy anymore.

Ive been going forever too. I'm not arguing that the parks don't appear crowded, I'm saying the actual attendance isn't actually higher than perceived due to other factors.

Crowds don't equate actual attendance when virtual queues and ride reservations are in use. The pathways are crowded because people have to go *somewhere*.

New attractions have lower hourly capacity, FP+ as it stands actually lowers capacity, and Disney has lowered capacity of attractions to save money to give a perceived value for FP+ (fewer trains on BTMR for example).

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
RotR is still instantly getting booked to max capacity for the entire day within 1 minute of the park opening. Hollywood Studios has massive lines long before the park opens every day. It hasn't gone down at all at Disney World.
Probably should have clarified I'm talking about Disneyland, which has plenty of attractions to dispurse crowds. I don't doubt that WDW has had an increase in attendance; I just know that it hasn't completely translated to the West Coast park, and that the crowds have not been larger than the typical estimates. Disneyland's RotR also is notoriously fussy and not as reliable as WDW's, so that might also play as a factor for those that aren't local to So Cal.

And again, the massive lines in the morning are not necessarily a good indicator of an attendance boost. That shows people are at the park to get on Rise, and are willing to get to the park earlier rather than later to get on. Actual signs of an attendance boost are if the median line time on all attractions goes up, which according to Heynongman's post seems to be happening at Hollywood Studios. That isn't really happening at Disneyland. The early morning run is being affected, so you can't get as much done early in the day anymore, but the midday lines aren't any longer than they were before Rise opened up. And because Rise is a virtual queue, those lines should be longer if attendance is actually up, since you don't have to wait around and waste your time in a physical line, so it's not actually eating people like the rest of the park.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Bob Iger had an amazing and frighteningly ambitious run, no matter what you think of his studio politics. Don't know how I feel about him still looking over creative works, but we'll see.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Watching a town hall with the two Bob's now, not surprising but Chapek reiterated that Gaming industry is being looked at but not considered with current business model.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably should have clarified I'm talking about Disneyland, which has plenty of attractions to dispurse crowds. I don't doubt that WDW has had an increase in attendance; I just know that it hasn't completely translated to the West Coast park, and that the crowds have not been larger than the typical estimates. Disneyland's RotR also is notoriously fussy and not as reliable as WDW's, so that might also play as a factor for those that aren't local to So Cal.

And again, the massive lines in the morning are not necessarily a good indicator of an attendance boost. That shows people are at the park to get on Rise, and are willing to get to the park earlier rather than later to get on. Actual signs of an attendance boost are if the median line time on all attractions goes up, which according to Heynongman's post seems to be happening at Hollywood Studios. That isn't really happening at Disneyland. The early morning run is being affected, so you can't get as much done early in the day anymore, but the midday lines aren't any longer than they were before Rise opened up. And because Rise is a virtual queue, those lines should be longer if attendance is actually up, since you don't have to wait around and waste your time in a physical line, so it's not actually eating people like the rest of the park.
You don't mean lines for RotR right? As those reach max capacity for the full day in the first minute or two of the park opening.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When is Kennedy getting the axe? She needs to be removed from Star Wars asap.
Stop watching angry youtubers. Kennedy is going nowhere till she retires.

Lucasfilm has been very successful for Disney overall. TROS still did a billion dollars and Mandalorian has been a massive success launching Disney Plus for them and kickstarting a huge marketing campaign of Baby Yoda merch.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I mean lines can't be longer for Rise of Resistance though? How could they be longer? The max out at capacity within minutes of the park opening for the entire day. As in there are no spots available for anyone to line up for. They book every spot for the whole day at the start of the park opening.
The lines I'm talking about aren't for Rise, they're for other attractions like Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, etc. That's how you judge overall attendance. The problem seems to be that the crowds for Galaxy's Edge & Rise might be scarring away other potential guests that don't want to deal with that crowd, and as a result ends up causing Disney to miss their targets. For Disney World, you'd have to look at the average of all lines in all gates to see the numbers that shareholders care about.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Watching a town hall with the two Bob's now, not surprising but Chapek reiterated that Gaming industry is being looked at but not considered with current business model.

Disney has always been the most risk-averse when it comes to their IP in gaming. I'd rather they stick with the licensing model they currently have.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
But yeah, now that the thread is bumped, he really did leave at the right time. Covid-19 is going to wreck Disney, between the parks being closed and the movie delays