• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 11, 2017
Star Wars is pretty much wuxia in space and they're probably quite familiar with wuxia archetypes and tropes.
The number one reason that China doesn't care about Star Wars is the fact that they missed the craze of the 1970s and 1980s. There is no widespread nostalgia for it, unlike say Japan. Film franchises that started since Hollywood took China seriously, like the MCU, flourish because China got in at the ground floor.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
The number one reason that China doesn't care about Star Wars is the fact that they missed the craze of the 1970s and 1980s. There is no nostalgia for it, unlike say Japan. Film franchises that started since Hollywood took China seriously, like the MCU, flourish because China got in at the ground floor.

I understand that, but that still won't explain why they would find the originals boring. I mean, you can say that they have be exposed to so many big effects heavy movies that came after SW that they aren't blown away; and when what's left are characters and tropes that feel so familiar, they aren't too impressed. But kids in the West still love the original movies when they see them for the first time right? Or do you have to be a kid when you first see it to fall in love with the universe?

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Boycotting blizzard/acti has been pretty easy so far. Disney will be a bit harder. Shit you seen one MCU movie you have literally seen them all so no tears shed over that, star wars is going to be difficult to give up but I will.

Won't be long until Disney flips the script and portrays the rebels as the bad guys and the empire as misunderstood.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this fails. Don't want Disney having another reason to pander to China. Star Wars is good where it is.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But kids in the West still love the original movies when they see them for the first time right? Or do you have to be a kid when you first see it to fall in love with the universe?
I dunno. Not only Star Wars feels very US-centric, but it seems it thrives on the back of nostalgia, especifically nostalgia for the 70's film series.

It's not that captivating for younger audiences if someone else doesn't introduce you to the franchise.

I'd say kids in the United States, whose older relatives/parents/grandparents were into SW, are the ones most likely to get into the franchise (In terms of buying toys and that kind of stuff), elsewhere SW is just like another Jurassic World film, or Transformers movie.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
WTB Death Stars and Stripes moon base, with Darth Morey and Emperor Silver figures.

Eferim

May 20, 2019
I understand that, but that still won't explain why they would find the originals boring. I mean, you can say that they have be exposed to so many big effects heavy movies that came after SW that they aren't blown away; and when what's left are characters and tropes that feel so familiar, they aren't too impressed. But kids in the West still love the original movies when they see them for the first time right? Or do you have to be a kid when you first see it to fall in love with the universe?
Do they though? Anecdotal, but my 6 year old nephew and all his friends and schoolmates are into Pokemon and superheroes but none of them seem to care about Star Wars at all. I'd really like to know how popular the series is with young kids these days cause it seems like Marvel has superseded Star Wars to me.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Disney sucking up to a straight up evil regime in order to get more money? I'm shocked, absolutely shocked.

/s obviously, Disney is a company without morals.

Oct 31, 2017
I mean they have to try something to break out there and catering to kids is probably the right move, but I'm just not sure they'll be successful. The brand is just that toxic over there.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
announcing a partnership with Tencent to promote Star Wars in China now, the week public debate over related issues has hit a fever pitch in the US, does not seem like a vote of confidence in the franchise

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Disney really wants to make money off their SW investment, huh?

I find SW to be pretty boring as well. It was fun to watch once but nothing super special for someone who doesn't care that much about space.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

I find SW to be pretty boring as well. It was fun to watch once but nothing super special for someone who doesn't care that much about space.
Disney wants to make money, period. They don't give a shit about politics or human rights as long as it makes them money.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Isn't every company partnered with Tencent at this point? Nintendo, Epic Games, Riot Games, WB, Legendary, etc.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Disney wants to make money, period. They don't give a shit about politics or human rights as long as it makes them money.

We will see what happens. It's going to be really... interesting is the only word I can think of...to see how much our world will change if China continues to grow in soft power.

Right now it's a negative interesting. I desperately hope it'll change.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's an interesting perspective, since Star Wars isn't really about space. It's not really sci-fi at all. It's just fantasy using space as a backdrop.