• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
My statement might look strange but Disney has had a strategy of acquiring multiple companies to expand their activities. I remember as a kid people associated them to Mickey and Donald mostly, some said one day they would be outdated. But Disney was able to evolve and they got Marvel and Star Wars.

A documentary explained that Marvel started shining again after Disney bought them while before they had a certain number of issues that almost drove them to extinction. Marvel movies from Disney generally get good reviews(overall), ad latest Starwars movies were successful, despite being criticized by some fans.

Using the EA label might help Disney to promote all the ips they own and make video games for them. With Origin already existing they could sell them digitally.It also would allow them to hit the sports area, so mixing pre-existing ips+ea ips+ sports games... This could be a successful approach.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Disney would buy EA and close them down or merge them with another studio within a year. No.

Oct 25, 2017
Would probably mean we wouldn't get licensed games like Ultimate Alliance, Spider-Man, and the new avengers game.
The deal will end before long, just hand pick who gets what license like they're doing with marvel

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
They do not want this much stake in games anymore, just to license out and reap benefits.

Poor track record with gaming acquisitions says they should not.

f2bnp

Mar 16, 2019
Yeah, let's have Disney, an already huge company, buy up even more property. Doesn't sound like a great idea :P

Oct 25, 2017
If Disney still wanted to do video games, they wouldn't have closed Disney Interactive Studios after killing Infinity.
They're not buying EA, they're not buying Nintendo, the most they'll do is license their massive pool of properties out to publishers. Whether it's Square-Enix for Kingdom Hearts and Avengers, Sony for Spider-Man, Nintendo for Marvel Ultimate Alliance, WB for Lego Star Wars, EA for Star Wars, and countless mobile devs, it's clear Disney is fine just licensing it out and raking in the profits.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney would kill them lmao

Seriously no. They have a terrible track record and they all-around suck and closed good studios because Disney does not understand games.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A big reason that EA is valued the way they are right now is because they nickle and dime their consumers through exploitative mechanics, a large portion of which are kids. If Disney bought EA, they would become directly accountable for that nickle and dimming of children. Or alternatively they could stop the nickle and dimming, in which case EA would become a terrible purchase from a financial point of view. So either way, purchasing EA is a lose lose situation for Disney.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Disney doesn't seem to want to be in the video game business.
Yeah, though I could see somebody inside the company wondering why they aren't. Buying a major publisher wholesale would also give them inherited knowledge - effectively skirting the awkward part of having to actually build a functional game studio.

EA might not be the best pick though. FIFA alone is still worth billions, and would heavily inflate the price. It'd make this a more complex acquisition than it needs to be.

Maybe spin off EA Sports into their own company, have Disney scoop up the leftovers.

Oct 25, 2017
EA is actually a really successful company. Also what the fucking fuck, why do you fucking people want fucking Disney to own everything, you're all sick.

Capitalism has fundamentally broken you as a human being.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Licensing their IPs to a variety of devs who are competent in their field would be a great step forward.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney really doesn't need anymore power. It's bad enough they're eating so many companies and that movies are largely coming from Disney because they own so much.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this forum so obsessed with studios being purchased? EA is fine on its own, stop.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I can't begin to understand the desire for Disney to grow even larger by these means. They have the funds to make their own games.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, though I could see somebody inside the company wondering why they aren't. Buying a major publisher wholesale would also give them inherited knowledge - effectively skirting the awkward part of having to actually build a functional game studio.

EA might not be the best pick though. FIFA alone is still worth billions, and would heavily inflate the price. It'd make this a more complex acquisition than it needs to be.

Maybe spin off EA Sports into their own company, have Disney scoop up the leftovers.

Because running a major video game publisher requires a lot of overhead and costs for relatively slim margins and a relatively volatile business model that outside companies probably don't find all that appealing. Disney tried once and pivoted to just licensing their valuable IPs out to publishers, which essentially allows them to have their cake and eat it too.

f2bnp

Mar 16, 2019
but on the other hand aren't giants a good thing? You can hide behind them to be protected(from an economy point of view)

That's not really how it works. Someone else said it better, I don't want mega corporations. It's also the reason why I am very skeptical of Microsoft buying all those smaller studios, such as DoubleFine, Obsidian, Ninja Theory etc. My greatest fear is that they'll churn out a couple of games, then Microsoft's management will change and suddenly those studios will be seen as bloat and will be rid of as fast as possible, unless they meet unrealistic expectations a.k.a. very high sales

Hopefully that's not the case, however even if it ain't, I just don't like the idea of a huge corporation buying up everything left and right.

Oct 25, 2017
Did we get put on this earth to stan for multinational corporations to gain more power, is this are there is?! This suffering

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Disney should buy Sony.
Disney should buy Nintendo.
Disney should buy Microsoft.
Disney should buy Apple.
Disney should buy Ubisoft.
Disney should buy Google.