• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
There has been rumours of Apple buying Sony (movie studio instead of the whole lot, but would make sense either way).

but do you think Disney will just watch
i think if Apple want buy Sony movie division Disney will join to make this not happen
they want all marvel properties back
now they are good with Sony and have deal with them to let them use spider-man in their movies

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
If it wasn't for the sports properties, at this point that rumour about ms buying them would have been better than what we have now. Anything would be better.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Disney is not spending $30-35 billion to acquire EA after they just acquired Fox. It's just not worth it to them.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I don't think Disney is automatically making company they bought better.
I think the independant Pixar was way better than actual Pixar.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
but do you think Disney will just watch
i think if Apple want buy Sony movie division Disney will join to make this not happen
they want all marvel properties back
now they are good with Sony and have deal with them to let them use spider-man in their movies

Disney could do jack. They are still processing the costs of their largest acquisition, and though they are now worth more then Comcast. They pale in comparison to Apple. Basically if Apple decided they want you, there is little you can do. Also apparently there is a stipulation in the contract that gives Spiderman back to Marvel if someone bought Sony. Also Apple and Disney are friends and Bob Iger is on the Apple board. So I don't think they would mind anyway.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Disney is already causing enough havoc/restrictions with IP's due to super stringent requirements. We don't need them anymore involved than they are.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
Disney could do jack. They are still processing the costs of their largest acquisition, and though they are now worth more then Comcast. They pale in comparison to Apple. Basically if Apple decided they want you, there is little you can do. Also apparently there is a stipulation in the contract that gives Spiderman back to Marvel if someone bought Sony. Also Apple and Disney are friends and Bob Iger is on the Apple board. So I don't think they would mind anyway.

oh
so it mean its better for Disney if Apple buy Sony movie division
because they will get right of spider-man movies without cost anything
interesting

Oct 27, 2017
No. But I would like to see some Nintendo published Disney games and for Disney to give Nintendo's ip the theme park treatment. Those two go together like peanut butter and jelly imo. I think that partnership just makes sense.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Why would we want someone who walked away from publishing videogames, to buy up a large publisher, and all of their development teams?

Makes no sense.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
but on the other hand aren't giants a good thing? You can hide behind them to be protected(from an economy point of view)

Until they decide to sit on you.

But no, Disney is notoriously bad at handling video games. Other than parks and live entertainment, they're notoriously bad at handling anything that takes longer than 15 months to complete.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Well, much as I'd like to see EA execs hoist by their own petard, Disney's mis-handling of it's games studios over the years makes EA look like sound managers and nurturers of talent by comparison.
When they bought Lucasfilm, they inherited Lucasarts and promptly shut them down and then gave the license to EA, who have fumbled it even worse than Lucasarts.

Disney's deal now- licensing and outsourcing to outside devs and pubs- is probably safer for the studios. If Avengers goes south (I think it will do fine and make a lot of profit, but will come up againts the dreaded 'expectations'), then it probably won't take all of Crystal Dynamics and The other SE studios working on it. If they were in-house, they'd be toast.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I feel like the biggest impact the MCU is ever going to have is convincing people that Disney owning everything is actually a good thing.

f2bnp

Mar 16, 2019
Why not? Are you happy with the current EA? Do you believe that Disney would make it worse?

No, of course not. I hate EA with a passion, they in turn bought a lot of my favorite game studios and drove them to the ground eventually. Be that as it may, Disney is already a giant, don't give them more power and money. It's as simple as that.

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
1389945662511.jpg

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Disney has never been good at games. Ever. That's the entire reason they killed LucasArts; they just don't understand the business and feel like they can make more money licensing their properties out to people that do.

Now if you're implying that you want EA to be shut down, this would be an easy way to do it, but as much of a problem as I have with their games, they are by and large a relatively decent employer.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
My statement might look strange but Disney has had a strategy of acquiring multiple companies to expand their activities. I remember as a kid people associated them to Mickey and Donald mostly, some said one day they would be outdated. But Disney was able to evolve and they got Marvel and Star Wars.

Disney has been acquiring IPs to exploit through buying the likes of Marvel and Star Wars (the less said about their ability to turn around The Muppets the better I suppose) which allowed them to move into more 'boy orientated' franchises which they infamously never had for decades. They had incredible success with franchises/content aimed at families and girls but outside of Tron etc they could never really get an IP that appealed to boys.

Where does EA fit into that mold? Disney has shown on multiple occasions that they don't want to be in the video game industry, it's completely outside their wheelhouse so how exactly could they turn around EA? It's totally outside their realm of expertise.

EA doesn't have any big hitter IPs that Disney could use for film or TV (Madden and FIFA are licensed and they won't want Battlefield) so what exactly would they bring to the table?