• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! Fantastic! I can't wait till Disney owns everything! Great! All entertainment will be Disney! Excellent!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney completely bailed out of the game publishing business just 2-3 years ago. They do not want to make videogames.

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Please link me to those theories because I need something to laugh at

Whei studied economy theories to find a job at government, there were older references than the one i am linking. To make short the idea is a monopolistic company is more likely to invest in R and D and innovate, will be able to actively reduce the cost of production, , because the monopolistic situation secures a safe income that can be reinvested.It is in that way good for the customer.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
but on the other hand aren't giants a good thing? You can hide behind them to be protected(from an economy point of view)

We had an after tax income of $1.04 billion last year, I would like to think that we're doing fine financially.
That is close to what Ubisoft, Take Two, Bandai Namco, Paradox and Square Enix made combined.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019
Does ESPN have anything to do with Madden licensing? I doubt it. The only connection EA and Disney have right now is the temporary licensing deal. None of EAs major IPs (miss me with your niche dead kids series that EA still owns) fit Disney's portfolio anyway.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Literally every time Disney gets into games; as soon as they have anything other than a major success on their hands they shutter the attempt to do games at all and the cycle starts again like 4 years later.

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I...what
Why exactly is a company that has competition less likely to invest in R&D?
to secure its customers because even with a monopoly you are not safe from being left behind. decades ago people worried that Microsoft was a trust, and just after they won theirappeal to avoid being separated into several companies, a few years later, Apple came with iPhones, and Apple went from underdog to leader in terms of profits.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Disney owning more shit would be terrible

Disney doesn't own much except IP in this regard, which anyone can theoretically create and compete effectively with, they just...don't.

This, however, is a bad idea because Disney has shown repeatedly that they have little to no interest in working in the AAA game space, and barely dabble in it every few years before retreating from it again to the safety of mobile and browser games. The notion of Disney buying EA isn't bad because Disney owns too much stuff, it's bad because Disney sucks at doing what EA does and would only make things worse.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Disney would buy EA and close them down or merge them with another studio within a year. No.
Despite EA's disappearance in the videogame space would be felt deeply, a part of me wants EA to taste their own medicine after what they did to Bullfrog and Westwood.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
to secure its customers because even with a monopoly you are not safe from being left behind. decades ago people worried that Microsoft was a trust, and just after they won theirappeal to avoid being separated into several companies, a few years later, Apple came with iPhones, and Apple went from underdog to leader in terms of profits.

OP, no offense but you sound very naive or just not educated on basic economics. Your comparison with MS and Apple literally makes no sense.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Disney should not fucking buy anyone at all related to games. They already fucked it up once I'd rather not have it happen again.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus Christ OP. Did this idea in your head make forget how Disney upper management has treated and shuttered it's console development over the past 15 years? They have bought and killed everything they have touched that didn't go mobile.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The last time Disney owned game development studios they didn't know how to run them and weren't impressed with the profit output.
EA has a lot of things that should be fixed, but I just don't see Disney doing more than closing up EA itself and passing out the IPs to others as they're doing with Marvel and Star Wars already.

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't really answer my question why they wouldn't also invest in R&D when they do have competition.
Also, iPhones aren't really competing with Windows?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Disney has done awful with managing their video game devs in the past. And if their games don't sell gangbusters out of the gate they're canned.
I have no idea what would give you the idea that they would suddenly change here.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
there's a lot of things Disney does in 2019 but acquisitioning into games benefits neither them or 'consumers' or whoever they acquire. unless they have some come to jesus moment and make a bunch of adroitly miraculous industry plays

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
disney can make money just fine licensing out their properties, theres no real reason for them to buy a game publisher

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't really answer my question why they wouldn't also invest in R&D when they do have competition.
Also, iPhones aren't really competing with Windows?
When you do have competitors your incomes can be lower and compromised. So you might be more careful before taking the risk of investing. Of course, you might see it as an incentive to invest, the opposite way.
Well, iPhones competed with Windows phones, and overall Apple and Microsoft are both in the computer-high tech area.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
If people weren't a fan of EA have exclusive Star Wars rights... I don't picture them being happy EA has all the Disney IPs

Nor is EA in the same situation as Marvel, to be "saved".

What exactly is Disney going to do for EA to improve them?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Disney doesn't have much interest in publishing after Disney Infinity. They were more than happy licensing their stuff out to have established publishers do it for them until EA caused an international incident.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
This is the only hobbyist forum where users are hankering for buyouts left and right.

I mean, even in aviation forums where I normally inhabit this doesn't happen.

OP
OP

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
If people weren't a fan of EA have exclusive Star Wars rights... I don't picture them being happy EA has all the Disney IPs

Nor is EA in the same situation as Marvel, to be "saved".

What exactly is Disney going to do for EA to improve them?
Well they could say, we are Disney , we care about making quality products. Let us make sure our games are polished. Let us try to innovate with games, as we can afford to delay stuff for a while if it is needed to release a better product.

Also, I am tempted to think bigger company=bigger budget, but maybe I am too optimistic. We are big we have enough cash to support projects otherwise deemed minor projects we are going to make Kotor 3 happen, we will invest to produce more spectacular cinematics,, and our successful games will create new carousels in our theme parks. The said successful games will also be a source to make movies,etc.

Each area of our company will feed others and create a circle of virtue and constant growth. Mirror Edge is niche now, but if we manage to make it a high selling franchise,, faith might become a member of our team of famous characters, and then might have Faith parkour activity in Disney World.

We can also afford making quality marvel vide games that will Rival With Batman and Spiderman games.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Disney is why EAs Star Wars output has been really low and unsatisfying to fans.

Disney wouldn't make things better for EA. Just new management would, although that wouldn't fix the Star Wars situation. Disney is controlling what gets put out because everything has to be canon but also not in their plans for future movies.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly Disney buying EA would either be an catastrophically bad idea or a superb idea.

Then again, I dont think Disney would benefit from buying any other video game company other then Square Enix or Nintendo.

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
Disney doesn't care about quality since they keep making bad remakes of timeless classics.

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
Well at least they could give the Starwars IP to Nintendo, and Nintendo can work their magic on them instead of the crap we have been getting for the last few years from EA and most likely will be getting for the next few years.

Why would Disney want to buy EA? You'd be buying a whole managing system that has been trained to specifically produce a so-so quality of games, with different immoral ways to monetise their game, something that Disney might not want to be associated with. Apart from that EA's non-sport IP's are not that great or memorial, or compatible with Disney, and they wouldn't bring anything to Disney's Warchest. There better studios to buy then EA, if Disney would want to get into the gaming industry.

Last edited:

Roman Bellic

Banned
Jun 13, 2019
Disney isn't a same Disney as it was like 10 years ago. It's going worse in my opinion. And they will ruin Fox legacy as well. Same with EA.

EA is a piece of huge shit. Whatever they will touch, it will be ruined. Even if they would be bankrupted, there won't be any loss with current games. Maybe with just old good IPs which are dead already and never won't back.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
1. The last thing we need is for Disney to get any bigger
2. Disney's involvement with games has been shit with the only real effort from them being Spectrobes.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Most of Disney's acquisitions – Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm – are to get specific IP. (Fox is something of an exception, although I think Fox's X-Men and Avatar rights did play a role in making Fox desirable to Disney). If a company has iconic characters with wide appeal that have stood the rest of time, that's the sort of deal Disney really likes to make. Disney's business is built on mining the value out of known and loved IP.

I don't think Disney cares at all about EA's IP. If they were going to try to buy any major player in the games business, it'd be Nintendo. I don't think they want to make that sort of acquisition at this time, and I don't think Nintendo wants to sell.

Right now Disney gets everything they want out of EA without the risk. And if they stop getting what they want out of EA, they can make other companies compete for their business. They have no need to take game development internal, just like they don't need to take toy production internal. Better to pit Mattel and Hasbro against each other.

Last edited:

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'd rather not see the final bit of creativity left in EA being put down because Disney decides to turn it into a Star Wars/Marvel factory. If Disney wants to grow in gaming they should just open up their own studios or keep doing what's Marvel is doing by making individual partnerships instead of throwing an entire IP like Star Wars to a single publisher for a decade.