• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
To be honest I've often wished that Disney would be, or continue to be, in game dev. I feel like they would be able to spend the money and resources to make some great licensed and original games, kinda like a better LucasArts. But clearly they don't want to be in it, and I'm still annoyed that they closed DIS and LucasArts, so whatever.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest I've often wished that Disney would be, or continue to be, in game dev. I feel like they would be able to spend the money and resources to make some great licensed and original games, kinda like a better LucasArts. But clearly they don't want to be in it, and I'm still annoyed that they closed DIS and LucasArts, so whatever.

It makes no sense given their business strategy.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The more I just read the OP alone the more I get a good chuckle out of this thread. Of all companies Disney is supposed to be the one to save gaming. lmao

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017

Whei studied economy theories to find a job at government, there were older references than the one i am linking. To make short the idea is a monopolistic company is more likely to invest in R and D and innovate, will be able to actively reduce the cost of production, , because the monopolistic situation secures a safe income that can be reinvested.It is in that way good for the customer.

Lmao, a quick google of this fucking blowhard immediately leads to such hits like "we should wholesale privatize orphanages, it would rule" and "the 80s were great because of low taxes also debt is awesome".

Thank you for the laugh that Fantastapotamus requested.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Disney have previously said they don't really want to go into that area in the foreseeable future. They can do partnerships, i.e., with Square for Kingdom Hearts, but buying up a videogames giant is nowhere near part of their plans at the moment.

Disney would buy EA and close them down or merge them with another studio within a year. No.
Agreed, no. This timeline doesn't deserve such a karmic comeuppance.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If things don't turn a profit immediately or if they make a stupid move based on assumption, they'll just shut it down. The demise of Black Rock Studios, the cutback of Disney Interactive Studios, and killing the Disney Infinty franchise is enough proof Disney doesn't care about having their own workforce right now, which is why they're outsourcing to other publishers.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
If things don't turn a profit immediately or if they make a stupid move based on assumption, they'll just shut it down. The demise of Black Rock Studios, the cutback of Disney Interactive Studios, and killing the Disney Infinty franchise is enough proof Disney doesn't care about having their own workforce right now, which is why they're outsourcing to other publishers.

Iger literally said they have no interest in developing games and prefer to publish. And it makes sense for their business strategy. Disney's main revenue comes from there Theme Parks and TV, film comes in at a low third. Licensing, video games, and all other bullshit make up such a tiny percent of their revenue that it makes no sense for Disney to invest heavily in them. Disney cares about bolstering their Theme Parks and TV presence, this is why Disney+ is such a big deal and why you see Star Wars and Marvel coming to them with all the big stars.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for niche studios with small budgets getting good backing, but this is the exact opposite of that. So no thanks.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I never thought I'd miss the days of the Marvel acquisition where people actually thought Disney would ruin Marvel by making it "kiddie". Now people actually root for these things.
Disney owns lots of sports networks though.
They'll have to sell most of them (the regional Fox Sports and in some countries like Brazil and Mexico), but I think the ESPN/Madden/FIFA synergy is a Disney board member wet dream.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
What poetic justice: EA getting the EA treatment.

bb0.jpg

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, no. This would be awful. There are a lot more good games being made with Disney properties now that they're licensing IP instead of actually producing products. Spider-Man and Kingdom Hearts wouldn't be as good in their hands because they don't understand what makes them work. Plus, MUA3 and Jedi: Fallen order look to be shaping up to be pretty good as well. Where they are in games is fine. EA is just a bad licensing partner.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Well they could say, we are Disney , we care about making quality products. Let us make sure our games are polished. Let us try to innovate with games, as we can afford to delay stuff for a while if it is needed to release a better product.

Also, I am tempted to think bigger company=bigger budget, but maybe I am too optimistic. We are big we have enough cash to support projects otherwise deemed minor projects we are going to make Kotor 3 happen, we will invest to produce more spectacular cinematics,, and our successful games will create new carousels in our theme parks. The said successful games will also be a source to make movies,etc.

Each area of our company will feed others and create a circle of virtue and constant growth. Mirror Edge is niche now, but if we manage to make it a high selling franchise,, faith might become a member of our team of famous characters, and then might have Faith parkour activity in Disney World.

We can also afford making quality marvel vide games that will Rival With Batman and Spiderman games.

Disney answers to shareholders as well, much like EA does. EA isn't strapped for cash or limited by it (regardless of what people think when they shut studios down). They're one of the biggest publishers in gaming.

Disney makes terrible products too, their live action remakes have been more bad than good, Pixar and Marvel have been left to kind of just do their own thing, their other film studios have been much worse than those two. The MCU success is really masking a lot of other stuff they've done that isn't good.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disney doesn't seem to want to be in the video game business.

You're 100% right having worked there during the Infinity bloodbath...4 was finally going to give people what they wanted and they pulled the plug in the middle of development almost out of nowhere, the previous games sold well but the idiots running the toy biz part didn't know what the fuck they were doing and made too many unpopular figures due to brand marketing infighting whims. Picture Marvel forcing 50,000 units of Yondu pre-Mary Poppins Y'all meme and getting butt hurt that PIXAR wanted to produce more of their previous gen digs that sold better....and those fucks still had jobs at the end of it through no fault of Johnny V.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Indeed OP, we need to have only 5-6 companies own every thing by the next 2 decades or so.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone who has followed Disney's forays into the games industry would be actively suggesting they buy any games company.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's stop wanting multibillion dollar companies to get bigger-er pls

It's honestly incredible how consumerism teaches people to want things regardless of whatever the fuck happens to their environment

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Bob Iger wants no parts of the video game business as an owner. Nor the current stink around EA as a company in the public eye.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
The last Assimilation.

More realistic approach would be EA being bought by Nintendo or Microsoft with EA sports sold to 2K.

If anything the sports are what make EA appealing. ESPN is still very important to Disney. They are also expanding into esports on ESPN. This would make sense from that perspective more then Nintendo.