• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Good, it was 99.9% guaranteed to be another crappy video game adaptation that desperately tries to please a general audience at the expense of the fans who made the series popular in the first place. Go back to the drawing board and get some people with an actual love for the source material to do a movie like Detective Pikachu did.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Good, it was 99.9% guaranteed to be another crappy video game adaptation that desperately tries to please a general audience at the expense of the fans who made the series popular in the first place. Go back to the drawing board and get some people with an actual love for the source material to do a movie like Detective Pikachu did.
Detective Pikachu was pretty mediocre though.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
images33yujni.jpeg

And this is "Bert" Wily...

tumblr_inline_pf6y6cdtkq4.jpeg
Ohh that's from the existing anime series? I thought the poster was talking about the live action film

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I think another thing people will realize soon is that Disney is not going to be taking any risks for awhile. They just paid the Murdochs 80 billion dollars. Their pockets are not nearly as full as they used to be. They most likely won't be making any profit off the buyout for the next few decades.

It's still being debated whether or not Disney has made any profit off of Star Wars.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
IMO even sonic the hedgehog is a stretch for the modern day box office. mega man certainly made no sense but maybe they had an 'angle' for it (i doubt it)

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
I think another thing people will realize soon is that Disney is not going to be taking any risks for awhile. They just paid the Murdochs 80 billion dollars. Their pockets are not nearly as full as they used to be. They most likely won't be making any profit off the buyout for the next few decades.

It's still being debated whether or not Disney has made any profit off of Star Wars.

How would they have not made money off of Star Wars?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Probably would've been a disaster anyways. A live action Mega Man movie just sounds impossible to make it not look goofy as hell. Animated would be the only way to go.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should definitely pick up the project again. I'd love to see Disney make an attempt at Megaman.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
While Fox's live-action take probably wouldn't have ended well, I wish we could have seen Disney Animation take a stab at adapting Mega Man.

Funny enough, Disney now has the distribution rights for Dragon Ball movies.
Funimation had the distribution rights for dragon ball super broly in the US and Canada.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure. I've heard analysts, pundits and fans talking about it recently. I know merchandise sales have not been hot in recent years but I thought the movies and games combined had hit four billion. Don't quote me on that though.

I wonder if they are going to rely heavily on the Star Wars parks to pull in money. I still think they will easily make a profit on the $4 billion purchase.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
There was no need for a life action movie, so is for the best. The cartoon didn't do great either, what people want is faithful adaptations of the source material.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I want Disney to stay the fuck away from Dragon Ball, i don't want to see Goku making Marvel quips every 5 seconds.
Also yeah this Mega Man movie might have been good if made by Blue Sky, they can produce some good stuff, oh well.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But what of the Bob's Burgers Movie? Mega Man was probably spared here - but the Bob's Burgers Movie deserves its release.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Disney acting as if they didn't know what they were buying....

They used Fox as a scapegoat for the SW ip underperforming

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Lots of things are going to change with this buyout, for example, Vaiety is saying they're currently trying to figure out how to make a Pg13 Deadpool for the MCU.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Why did they even acquire the studio if they were going to kill everything? Not like Fox was taking money out of the pocket
They need a catalog for Disney+ that appeals to people beyond those who just like Disney IPs. And to be the new Netflix they are probably gonna have to buy more shit.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No idea Mega Man movie is even coming.

Disney wants their movies to have big profit margins.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Honestly for the best. The franchise needs all the good exposure it can get.

Now who do I need to beg, to get a Mega Man X OVA, in the same vein as Netflix Castlevania?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Not sure. I've heard analysts, pundits and fans talking about it recently. I know merchandise sales have not been hot in recent years but I thought the movies and games combined had hit four billion. Don't quote me on that though.
Then those pundits and analysts are fools if they sincerely think Disney buying Star Wars for 4 billion. isn't the deal of the decade.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In terms of the film Fox was likely to make, nothing of value was likely lost.

But I'd be surprised if Disney isn't at least looking at establishing some kind of licensing deal with Capcom. Mega Man is a non-Disney series that would fit perfectly as a Disney or Marvel-made film. Hell, Capcom has more than a few such series on their belt, and also other series for diversity that could make great films in the hands of the right director. The two companies are not strangers to each other by any stretch, and Capcom is not interested in nor does it have the resources to make big-budget films, so it's not exactly competition, either. Mega Man has the right ingredients to become a box office mega-hit (pun intended) and Disney has the resources to make it into one.

I do think a live-action Mega Man film could work, but it would involve making basically all of the robots CGI characters. But Disney probably would just make it a pure CGI film, unless they were planning to make a Capcom cinematic universe or something, which is unlikely at best, since they'd need another visionary like Kevin Feige to handle it (though I could see Feige being a supporting visionary on such a project, if he's interested enough, the guy might be at least tangentially aware of Capcom's stuff via the Marvel Vs. Capcom series).

Oct 28, 2017
But I'd be surprised if Disney isn't at least looking at establishing some kind of licensing deal with Capcom. Mega Man is a non-Disney series that would fit perfectly as a Disney or Marvel-made film. Hell, Capcom has more than a few such series on their belt, and also other series for diversity that could make great films in the hands of the right director. The two companies are not strangers to each other by any stretch, and Capcom is not interested in nor does it have the resources to make big-budget films, so it's not exactly competition, either. Mega Man has the right ingredients to become a box office mega-hit (pun intended) and Disney has the resources to make it into one.

I genuinely believe it's more likely that Disney would buy Capcom outright than license one of their franchises for a movie* (and I don't think it's very likely that Disney would buy Capcom either). Disney is run by control freaks—this is the company that forewent the chance to have Harry Potter attractions at their theme parks because they didn't want to throw too many resources at them when Rowling and Warner Bros. would retain a say—and even if Capcom gave them carte blanche to do whatever they wanted with a Mega Man movie, it's still not their IP and I doubt they could control what Capcom does with it in other media. A big reason for the Fox acquisition (and the entire reason for the Muppets, Marvel, and Lucasfilm acquisitions) was to expand Disney's IP portfolio, and it would be pretty out of character at this point if they turned around and spent hundreds of millions to turn someone else's long-established multimedia franchise into movies.

*This might be obvious, but I'm talking specifically about movies centering on Capcom IPs, not things like character cameos in Wreck-It Ralph.

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I'm fine with this, doubly so since I had no idea they were doing it. I love MM but I don't want the pendulum swing that is FOX movies to muck it up. This extends to anything Disney has been canceling for legit reasons.