• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
From Variety courtesy of our very own Protodude:

Disney, as expected, has started to shelve Fox films they see no value in after big losses this quarter. It's been estimated that around 250 films have been canceled, Mega Man included.
I see this as a good thing, it was probably going to be terrible anyway, and the last thing the brand needs right now after just getting back on it's feet is a bomb.

Honestly, the only Japanese franchise that Disney is going to do anything with is probably Dragon Ball. Broly ended up being a huge hit following it's December release.

Last edited:

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I'm more mourning Assassin's Creed 2 that was apparently in development.

Still, I was kinda curious to see how'd it turn out.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Disney's animation teams would do something interesting, colorful, faithful, and fun with Mega Man but Fox would make it gritty and hyper realistic and terrible.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'd rather not have to suffer through another bad movie based upon a video game IP I adore. I'm still trying to get ready for Sonic

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this merger won't be such a bad thing after all.

It's still a bad thing, but this movie would've sucked.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Sounds like good thing to me. Mega Man deserves better than to get dragged through the mud by a crappy movie.

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt there's ever going to be another Hollywood Dragon Ball film given Battle of Gods was made out of Toriyama's frustration towards Evolution.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
You all are thinking small. Imagine the shitposting levels if the Sonic and Megaman movies were both live action disasters and came quickly to each lther

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Disney's animation teams would do something interesting, colorful, faithful, and fun with Mega Man but Fox would make it gritty and hyper realistic and terrible.

So you mean what Inafune-era Capcom would've done?

Huh? Funimation is owned by their competitor, Sony.

Not too sure about the guy you're quoting, but I think Fox (well the Japanese branch) has theatrical distribution rights for it. Kinda like how Warner Bros. Japan also distributes anime or how Disney Japan still distributes Ghibli stuff. (Disney outside Japan gave up Ghibli rights).

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I doubt there's ever going to be another Hollywood Dragon Ball film given Battle of Gods was made out of Toriyama's frustration towards Evolution.

It's hard to say. I've been seeing a lot of people speculating, saying Shang Chi's reception might play a part in deciding that for Shonen live action movies. Being a supernatural martial arts film, they'd be similar in concept.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more mourning Assassin's Creed 2 that was apparently in development.

Still, I was kinda curious to see how'd it turn out.
No lie, I'll be sad if they don't do another one. I'm in the minority of people who liked it (aside from a few inconsistences to the series' lore).

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Damn, hopefully the concept art for this film is leaked outside of this

megamanbox.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
You mean it wasn't made because Toei offered Toriyama more money and asked him to help sell more Dragon Ball?
That's the way of the business sure but he went and rewrote the script to Battle of Gods instead of just leaving Toei to their own devices.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime, so it seems that DB has grown on me much that I can't leave it alone."

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
While Fox's live-action take probably wouldn't have ended well, I wish we could have seen Disney Animation take a stab at adapting Mega Man.

Huh? Funimation is owned by their competitor, Sony.
Funny enough, Disney now has the distribution rights for Dragon Ball movies.

Oct 27, 2017
Breaks my heart that so many folks here were down on this. Sure, I'd be worried if it were Fox doing the movie, but under Disney's watchful eye? If they treated it the same way they did when rebuilding the Marvel movie universe? Megaman could have been the start of something great.

IMHO, with the exception of Nintendo, Capcom properties probably have the richest mythologies of all of gamedom. And it seems like such a waste not taking that same path as the MCU did, where you have all these game series that obviously connect.

Could you imagine having a three tier Capcom's movie universe, led by rating groups?

G/PG - Megaman, Ghouls N Ghosts, etc.
PG13 - Street Fighter, Final Fight, Darkstalkers, etc.
R - Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Dino Crisis, etc.

And if successful, once said universes are established, they could even go full Marvel vs. Capcom...but we can dream, right?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Breaks my heart that so many folks here were down on this. Sure, I'd be worried if it were Fox doing the movie, but under Disney's watchful eye? If they treated it the same way they did when rebuilding the Marvel movie universe? Megaman could have been the start of something great.

IMHO, with the exception of Nintendo, Capcom properties probably have the richest mythologies of all of gamedom. And it seems like such a waste not taking that same path as the MCU did, where you have all these game series that obviously connect.

Could you imagine having a three tier Capcom's movie universe, led by rating groups?

G/PG - Megaman, Ghouls N Ghosts, etc.
PG13 - Street Fighter, Final Fight, Darkstalkers, etc.
R - Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Dino Crisis, etc.

And if successful, once said universes are established, they could even go full Marvel vs. Capcom...but we can dream, right?
I feel like something like Mega Man would be better served as an animated endeavor. Though you're definitely on to something with building up to Marvel vs. Capcom on film (plus taking the animated approach would avoid confusion with the MCU).

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this coming. Never suspected Disney ever had interest in making a Mega Man film.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
You mean it wasn't made because Toei offered Toriyama more money and asked him to help sell more Dragon Ball?

Battle of Gods started production with no involvement from Toriyama, but Toei sent him the original script and at that point he got heavily involved and pretty much changed the entire movie. He has mentioned that he became involved due to his displeasure with the live action movie and how his input was ignored there.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Why did they even acquire the studio if they were going to kill everything? Not like Fox was taking money out of the pocket

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Disney couldn't save Solo so I guess they aren't in the business of trying to save any of Fox's films.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
honestly would have liked to see what it would turn out to be.

Sure it could have been bad but it could have been fine just like the Detective Pikachu movie.
Im more dissapointed AC2 seems to have gotten canned as a fan of that series compared to Mega Man.