• We are delighted to introduce GiftBot 2.0, the next generation of our popular gifting feature. To celebrate, we'll be giving away some incredible prizes over the coming weeks in one big Giveaway Extravaganza!

Disney+ Free Trial Begins In The Netherlands

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Man for the people who are jealous that the Netherlands gets it first, I can tell you this service definitely needed a small country to beta test it. It's caused me so much rage over the past two days. I already said earlier that I was geoblocked from my own country. Well today the android app finally started working but I downloaded a full movie just to be sure. Then for some reason it refused to cast to my chromecast. After trying a tonne of things I finally decided to download the app on my PS4. After an excruciatingly slow system update and download because of the wonderful PSN servers that app also didn't work.

I finally ended up setting up a VPN to my own country on my laptop, plugging an HDMI cable straight into it, and watching a film that way. Of course by that time it was already 11.30pm so I had to stop the movie halfway to go to bed. Apparently only the Android app was somehow no longer geoblocked but all the other devices still didn't play ball.

Now I heard the Disney+ hotline had 340 people in waiting, lol.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Man for the people who are jealous that the Netherlands gets it first, I can tell you this service definitely needed a small country to beta test it. It's caused me so much rage over the past two days. I already said earlier that I was geoblocked from my own country. Well today the android app finally started working but I downloaded a full movie just to be sure. Then for some reason it refused to cast to my chromecast. After trying a tonne of things I finally decided to download the app on my PS4. After an excruciatingly slow system update and download because of the wonderful PSN servers that app also didn't work.

I finally ended up setting up a VPN to my own country on my laptop, plugging an HDMI cable straight into it, and watching a film that way. Of course by that time it was already 11.30pm so I had to stop the movie halfway to go to bed. Apparently only the Android app was somehow no longer geoblocked but all the other devices still didn't play ball.

Now I heard the Disney+ hotline had 340 people in waiting, lol.
A stress test with the country the size of the Netherlands was a good idea!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Everyone is asking about Disney and Marvel content, but everyone's ignoring the National Geographic content. How is it? I'm hoping they have all the episodes of National Geographic Explorer. Especially the Robert Urich episodes.

trashtabby

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, so surprisingly Rescue Rangers seems to be a HD remaster. Sadly it's also cropped to 16:9 which is a shame but it looks pretty good. All the other old shows I've checked are DVD quality at best.

gutter_trash

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
so nobody is asking about the Golden Age cartoon shorts, so I will be that guy.

Is there a Golden Age cartoon shorts section aside from Steamboat Willie?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Seems that the Dutch is pretty excited about Disney Plus. De Telegraaf says its more addicting than heroin:

*starts the video*

"The Netherlands has completely skipped the blu-ray, because people just watch digitally and through streaming"

Tell me, Rob Goossens, if we skipped the blu-ray, why are all the media stores filled with the newest blu-rays?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Hasn't Blu-Ray been losing money since year two after its initial release?
That's not necessarily the point, the man literally says 'we' (the Dutch) skipped blu-ray because of streaming and digital downloads, which simply isn't true. It's only been fairly recently that in The Netherlands digital 'On Demand' sales exceeded blu-ray sales and we didn't even get Netflix (and other streaming services that followed) until 2013, before then lots of people we're buying blu-rays.

This guy who's getting paid as a 'media journalist' straight up claims blu-rays basically don't exist in The Netherlands.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
The volume on Guardians of the Galaxy seemed low. Subs were out of sync at first too, but after a restart it was fine? Weird stuff.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, watching Wreck-It Ralph gave me a disclaimer that the movie contained product placement.

That's interesting, I wonder how much product placement something needs to contain for it to portray that disclaimer, as for instance the Marvel movies are filled with product placement.

Steeven

Oct 26, 2017
This is pretty neat. The trial subscription only cost me 1 cent and now I can watch everything for free until November 11th or something. Thanks Disney.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Anybody got 4k hdr or 5.1 for that matter working on the shield tv and is the app also on the tizen store it aint on mine (ks7/8000)

Last edited:

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
That's not necessarily the point, the man literally says 'we' (the Dutch) skipped blu-ray because of streaming and digital downloads, which simply isn't true. It's only been fairly recently that in The Netherlands digital 'On Demand' sales exceeded blu-ray sales and we didn't even get Netflix (and other streaming services that followed) until 2013, before then lots of people we're buying blu-rays.

This guy who's getting paid as a 'media journalist' straight up claims blu-rays basically don't exist in The Netherlands.
Yeah, this bothered me too. Was a really awkward conversation in general.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
There were rumblings that dumbo would
Be updated to remove the crows, apparently in the Netherlands the crows are still in? Netherlands folks can you confirm?

TeenageFBI

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, so surprisingly Rescue Rangers seems to be a HD remaster. Sadly it's also cropped to 16:9 which is a shame but it looks pretty good. All the other old shows I've checked are DVD quality at best.
I'm a little concerned about this. Remasters that crop the original image are such trash. Is there a version of the show in the original 4:3 ratio? DVD quality, I don't care.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I hope they have an option for the 4:3 versions of the older Simpsons seasons. I don't know how they did it on the FX app, but the cropped versions they show on TV are terrible.