• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Man for the people who are jealous that the Netherlands gets it first, I can tell you this service definitely needed a small country to beta test it. It's caused me so much rage over the past two days. I already said earlier that I was geoblocked from my own country. Well today the android app finally started working but I downloaded a full movie just to be sure. Then for some reason it refused to cast to my chromecast. After trying a tonne of things I finally decided to download the app on my PS4. After an excruciatingly slow system update and download because of the wonderful PSN servers that app also didn't work.

I finally ended up setting up a VPN to my own country on my laptop, plugging an HDMI cable straight into it, and watching a film that way. Of course by that time it was already 11.30pm so I had to stop the movie halfway to go to bed. Apparently only the Android app was somehow no longer geoblocked but all the other devices still didn't play ball.

Now I heard the Disney+ hotline had 340 people in waiting, lol.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Man for the people who are jealous that the Netherlands gets it first, I can tell you this service definitely needed a small country to beta test it. It's caused me so much rage over the past two days. I already said earlier that I was geoblocked from my own country. Well today the android app finally started working but I downloaded a full movie just to be sure. Then for some reason it refused to cast to my chromecast. After trying a tonne of things I finally decided to download the app on my PS4. After an excruciatingly slow system update and download because of the wonderful PSN servers that app also didn't work.

I finally ended up setting up a VPN to my own country on my laptop, plugging an HDMI cable straight into it, and watching a film that way. Of course by that time it was already 11.30pm so I had to stop the movie halfway to go to bed. Apparently only the Android app was somehow no longer geoblocked but all the other devices still didn't play ball.

Now I heard the Disney+ hotline had 340 people in waiting, lol.

A stress test with the country the size of the Netherlands was a good idea!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Everyone is asking about Disney and Marvel content, but everyone's ignoring the National Geographic content. How is it? I'm hoping they have all the episodes of National Geographic Explorer. Especially the Robert Urich episodes.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, so surprisingly Rescue Rangers seems to be a HD remaster. Sadly it's also cropped to 16:9 which is a shame but it looks pretty good. All the other old shows I've checked are DVD quality at best.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
so nobody is asking about the Golden Age cartoon shorts, so I will be that guy.

Is there a Golden Age cartoon shorts section aside from Steamboat Willie?

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Huh, so surprisingly Rescue Rangers seems to be a HD remaster. Sadly it's also cropped to 16:9 which is a shame but it looks pretty good. All the other old shows I've checked are DVD quality at best.
Because of this post started watching it ITS FANTASTIC well done remaster imo.
It looks very sharp.
EEaUk3uWsAEQLaH

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Seems that the Dutch is pretty excited about Disney Plus. De Telegraaf says its more addicting than heroin:

*starts the video*

"The Netherlands has completely skipped the blu-ray, because people just watch digitally and through streaming"

Tell me, Rob Goossens, if we skipped the blu-ray, why are all the media stores filled with the newest blu-rays?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Hasn't Blu-Ray been losing money since year two after its initial release?
That's not necessarily the point, the man literally says 'we' (the Dutch) skipped blu-ray because of streaming and digital downloads, which simply isn't true. It's only been fairly recently that in The Netherlands digital 'On Demand' sales exceeded blu-ray sales and we didn't even get Netflix (and other streaming services that followed) until 2013, before then lots of people we're buying blu-rays.

This guy who's getting paid as a 'media journalist' straight up claims blu-rays basically don't exist in The Netherlands.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
The volume on Guardians of the Galaxy seemed low. Subs were out of sync at first too, but after a restart it was fine? Weird stuff.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, watching Wreck-It Ralph gave me a disclaimer that the movie contained product placement.

That's interesting, I wonder how much product placement something needs to contain for it to portray that disclaimer, as for instance the Marvel movies are filled with product placement.

Steeven

Oct 26, 2017
This is pretty neat. The trial subscription only cost me 1 cent and now I can watch everything for free until November 11th or something. Thanks Disney.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Anybody got 4k hdr or 5.1 for that matter working on the shield tv and is the app also on the tizen store it aint on mine (ks7/8000)

Last edited:

Slyonic

Oct 29, 2017
That's not necessarily the point, the man literally says 'we' (the Dutch) skipped blu-ray because of streaming and digital downloads, which simply isn't true. It's only been fairly recently that in The Netherlands digital 'On Demand' sales exceeded blu-ray sales and we didn't even get Netflix (and other streaming services that followed) until 2013, before then lots of people we're buying blu-rays.

This guy who's getting paid as a 'media journalist' straight up claims blu-rays basically don't exist in The Netherlands.

Yeah, this bothered me too. Was a really awkward conversation in general.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
There were rumblings that dumbo would
Be updated to remove the crows, apparently in the Netherlands the crows are still in? Netherlands folks can you confirm?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little concerned about this. Remasters that crop the original image are such trash. Is there a version of the show in the original 4:3 ratio? DVD quality, I don't care.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I hope they have an option for the 4:3 versions of the older Simpsons seasons. I don't know how they did it on the FX app, but the cropped versions they show on TV are terrible.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Okay, I'm bumping with a random question.

I just remembered that Fox owns Dark Angel, the 2000-2002 Jessica Alba series, which I assume means Disney now owns it.

... I don't suppose Dark Angel was on this Disney+ beta? I have never seen it on a single streaming service.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Can anyone see if Darkwing Duck has Hot Spell. It got banned since Gosalyn sold her soul for magic to the devil. It missing over on itunes.

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
Just thinking of this in relation to DisneyLife, one of the things my daughter absolutely loves is that they have all the animated film songs as standalone videos in a "Musical Moments" collection. Does Plus have a similar collection?

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Month in, I still need to VPN into my own country to use it.
Also, to be honest, if you already watched all the Disney, Marvel and Star Wars films, which I reckon most people did, the service becomes pretty barren. Yeah you can watch old cartoons for nostalgia value, or Disney Channel stuff nobody wants. But unless you have young kids like me, I don't see this really as a must have service. Will have to wait how much the original programming picks up.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, to be honest, if you already watched all the Disney, Marvel and Star Wars films, which I reckon most people did, the service becomes pretty barren. Yeah you can watch old cartoons for nostalgia value, or Disney Channel stuff nobody wants. But unless you have young kids like me, I don't see this really as a must have service. Will have to wait how much the original programming picks up.

Yeah, pretty much why I'm not interested in it.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
It's always going to be aimed at those with kids and those wanting the original programmes. Like, the old shit is there to say that it's there and offer people more shit if they choose to.

All streaming services are driven by new original content.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I agree that if you write off Disney movies, Marvel movies, Star Wars movies, Disney afternoon shows, Nat Geo content and Disney channel shows, the service starts looking sparse.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It could literally be a $7 a month Simpsons and Malcolm in the Middle streaming service, and I'd consider it worthwhile. Here in Canada, it's been impossible to stream those shows up until now. I think there's wayyyyy more than enough quality library content to justify the low price

I agree that if you write off Disney movies, Marvel movies, Star Wars movies, Disney afternoon shows, Nat Geo content and Disney channel shows, the service starts looking sparse.
That's like saying "if you go to McDonald's and don't really want anything in the burger and fries family, there isn't much to eat."

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
People underestimating Disney Plus and chill. I already have girls asking to come over and watch Smart House, Zenon, Halloweentown. I'm like it's not out yetttttt. I just paid 3 years up front because I'm crazy

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
It really does, and I really dont have any interest in any of that stuff. If I was interested, I already watched it when it was released. Disney+ not looking all that great to me, but for the price I'll get it occasionally for my daughter. The Hulu side of things, though, is very much worth it to me.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Hur hur. I certainly do not write off all that. I write off Disney Channel crap like Andy Mack, Lizzie McGuire. Conversely, I effing love Disney, Star Wars and also a bit Marvel. But those four films a year is about the same length as a new season of The Expanse which I subscribe to Amazon for one month a year. I'll get Disney+ continuously (if they ever get off their ass and whitelist my IP range) because I have kids. But if you don't, it seems more like one of those deals of getting it two months a year to catch up and then unsubscribe. Well, unless the original programming becomes stellar of course.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Hur hur. I certainly do not write off all that. I write off Disney Channel crap like Andy Mack, Lizzie McGuire. Conversely, I effing love Disney, Star Wars and also a bit Marvel. But those four films a year is about the same length as a new season of The Expanse which I subscribe to Amazon for one month a year. I'll get Disney+ continuously (if they ever get off their ass and whitelist my IP range) because I have kids. But if you don't, it seems more like one of those deals of getting it two months a year to catch up and then unsubscribe. Well, unless the original programming becomes stellar of course.
I* imagine they'll be sensible like CBS are planning on and will release the new Star Wars stuff (not to mention everything else) continually througth the year.

Sure, you could sub for a month and catch up, but most others will be watching it as it comes out so that peer pressure to be watching at the same time as others will keep people subbed. CBS are doing the same with Star Trek.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
Has anyone confirmed if the Fox episodes of Futurama, American Dad and Family Guy will be in the full service?