• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
The main draw to Disney Life for us was the live TV, tv shows, books and music. My boys love watching Disney Jr and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I have an extensive Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars collection on Blu Ray (viewed via Plex at better quality than DL) so access to Live TV and odd TV shows was the main draw for us. Fiver a month for that seemed worth it. The movies and 10% off at Disney Store was a Brucie Bonus.

Unless I'm given a very good reason to carry on if/when they stop DL in favour of D+ I guess my boys will have to quit rodent cold turkey.
I'm curious what will happen to the live channels if they'll just stop existing come March. Can totally understand your situation, similar one myself as my daughter loves Disney Jr shows and I've got all the MCU and SW films physically, only difference is I don't have any of the Disney animated movies so Life is an absolute goldmine, and hopefully Plus will push them all up to 4K, especially if it's just £5.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I get not launching worldwide at the same time.

I do not get putting a new and highly anticipated show on the service before it has rolled out to more countries. With everyone being as connected as they are today it seems like madness.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I get not launching worldwide at the same time.

I do not get putting a new and highly anticipated show on the service before it has rolled out to more countries. With everyone being as connected as they are today it seems like madness.

yeah - either launch with your catalog stuff for 6 months and then bring your new stuff when it's more widely available, or even launch in those markets just with limited content.

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
Disney guaranteeing the Mandalorian being one of the most pirated show around. You'd think such a powerful company could roll this out much wider on launch. Not that I think its going to be worth subscribing too until it builds up its catalogue of original content and we know if its actually any good.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah it's basically impossible with most large paid VPN providers, they all seem to be blacklisted.

I've already heard so many people at work talking about and asking about 'getting hold' of the Mandalorian, nobody will be subscribing in March to watch it that's for sure. The other content might be worth it but they're missing out on money, should've just sold the rights to another streaming service on a short deal.

Yeah, it's a pity - I can't see why they wouldn't just start with a much smaller back catalogue and call it a "beta" for a smaller price. Or even just put "the Mandalorian" out. They just can't win with it not being available anywhere.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Is Scandinavia western europe? Hello, is thing on?
Go back to your ships, northmen!

:D

I very much doubt that.

Why would disney even risk the PR disaster for a 70 year old or whatever film that has like 0 relevance or fans in the modern day.
In Italy it's broadcasted every 4-5 years. You can even see Disney has restored the picture in the early '00s, probably for a tentative DVD release. There was a VHS release in 1990.

One question I have is, why one of their prominent rides (Splash Mountain) on Disneyland is still linked to that movie?

Couldn't they have rebranded it by now? Like put Kronk and Yzma there and call it something else; why they keep the Song of the South related stuff there?
The song Zippi-De-Doodah (not even a cover, the original song) has been used as the credits song in the (great) 2009 Disney documentary Waking Sleeping Beauty, about the history of 1985-1995 Disney Animation department. It's directed by Don Hahn.

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
There's zero chance every American blog, forum or entertainment site won't spoil the shit out of The Mandalorian the second it drops, let alone over the course of several months. It's a shit situation that could have been easily avoided if a global entertainment company actually acted like a global company. I get that existing content deals play a part in this (it's why HBO Max will never see the light of day here at all, for example), but it still sucks that international audiences have to make do with lesser offerings.

I just wanna watch The Mandalorian. Even if Sky buy the rights in the interim I'd probably be happier.

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
So the real kicker here would be Disney seem to want to do the episode per week thing with their exclusive shows, it's got me wondering if they're going to drag out the Mandalorian like that in the UK after the 4 month wait, or drop it all at once Netflix style.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I do expect the UK version to be missing a shitload of stuff, thanks to licensing and whatnot.

Probably should call it Disney-.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The OT is going to be interesting. How will European members contribute without being banned for flaunting piracy rules?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any point in hoping that Disney sells the Mandalorian streaming rights to Amazon/Netflix/Whatever for those 4 months in Europe?

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Crazy that it takes this long. Though it should probably be some minor consolation to the people waiting, that outside of the Mandalorian there's really not a lot new stuff to watch anyway and come March it should have filled out a bit more.

I tried to VPN into the Netherlands beta test, using that to start my suscription early for the Mandalorian, but there was no way to get in (for me at least, paid suscription VPN).
You could try again, Disney+ only whitelisted the major Dutch ISPs in the beginning it seems like, because I was region locked out of Disney+ while in fact living in the Netherlands, but could watch it through my work VPN. They added my local ISP some two weeks ago, so maybe also your VPN provider.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any point in hoping that Disney sells the Mandalorian streaming rights to Amazon/Netflix/Whatever for those 4 months in Europe?
Doubtful as I think this is targeted release.

The only reason EU get it after US I think is because Star Wars is popular there than say...Asia. I'm guessing the rest of the world will get Disney+ close to Falcon & Winter Soldier show releases. No way the releases of these major shows doesn't coincide with regional Disney+ launch.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How the heck do I, a person from New Zealand, get something American, before the UK does? Usually we run to the UK's timeline. That's bonkers. The good kind of bonkers, just, bonkers. Goes to show how much it really is a shot in the dark thinking about when we'll get stuff.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm incredibly curious to see what happens with the Simpsons. Currently, as far as I'm aware, Channel 4 currently seem to still show old episodes while SkyOne shows the newer ones. Likewise for Family Guy with Comedy Central and FX for some other shows. I wonder what those deals are like.

Dec 2, 2017
I'm incredibly curious to see what happens with the Simpsons. Currently, as far as I'm aware, Channel 4 currently seem to still show old episodes while SkyOne shows the newer ones. Likewise for Family Guy with Comedy Central and FX for some other shows. I wonder what those deals are like.
Sky recently started all the episodes, back to S1. Channel 4 only goes up to season 18 or so, roughly.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
If it's anything like how Voltron and Mr. Robot was in Asia, you'll have to wait for the right-to-air expire before the show can hit Disney+. Unless Disney willing to fork out money to get those shows immediately.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I did tell everyone D+ wouldn't launch in the UK until April (ish). Read the room guys.

So Sky's deal with Disney ends in early March 2020. So that means no Sky Movies Disney and free Disney streaming content for current Sky Q/Go/NOWTV customers? That's the downside of this.

Not necessarily. Though you'll definitely not get everything and a Sky/Netflix style bundle is pretty likely...

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any indication yet if the accounts will be worldwide like Netflix or are they confirmed to be region specific? I'm guessing the latter - I'm not massively bothered about most of this but it would be nice to watch The Mandalorian and I have a VPN ready to go if necessary.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Can they at least put The Mandalorian up on Google Play etc for purchasing, so there are legal alternatives to piracy?
The BBC doing this for His Dark Materials would also be appreciated, I'm not paying a £170 TV license for one show.
EDIT: HDM is actually on Google Play now :D

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Do we have any indication yet if the accounts will be worldwide like Netflix or are they confirmed to be region specific? I'm guessing the latter - I'm not massively bothered about most of this but it would be nice to watch The Mandalorian and I have a VPN ready to go if necessary.

They're very aggressively blocking payments from countries that they're not launched in, and use device GPS, and have better VPN blocking than NF.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So the real kicker here would be Disney seem to want to do the episode per week thing with their exclusive shows, it's got me wondering if they're going to drag out the Mandalorian like that in the UK after the 4 month wait, or drop it all at once Netflix style.
It would be hilarious if they make Europe wait 4+ months for the premier and then release the episodes there weekly also.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
piracy is a service problem - gabe newell, 2011 (maybe he wasnt the first one to say it, but I very much him remember him saying it, as I think its very true)

definitely applies to this situation

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Yup, this confirms it. The Mandalorian is going to be the most pirated show in Europe this year

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Yup, this confirms it. The Mandalorian is going to be the most pirated show in Europe this year
giphy.gif

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
They're very aggressively blocking payments from countries that they're not launched in, and use device GPS, and have better VPN blocking than NF.
Eh, in which case I'll probably just wait and see if the service actually has things on it I actually want. One show is certainly not enough to get me to subscribe so perhaps I'll wait for it all to be available and just sub for a month.