• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I did, of course. But it's still $5.83/month which is my point.

IDK, feel like it should be cheaper but considering the price of all the other services, I guess it's fair enough.

Just tired of all the streaming services honestly.

Edit* How many are there now? I lost count.

My general take on them is that they are way cheaper as single entities and way easier to cancel/resubscribe than cable ever was or ever will be. My advice to anyone is choose one you can't do without (Hulu personally) and keep it all the time and rotate the others as you see fit. I use Netflix for a few months to catch up, then cancel it for the remainder of the year. Will probably do the same with HBO at some point.

I'm saying they are a competitor to netflix

Oh, that makes more sense. My bad.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in day one. The Simpsons alone is a big deal for me. The only place to stream it now is on the shitty FX app, and it's loaded with commercials. Hopefully there's a bundle with ad-free Hulu for ~$15.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
My general take on them is that they are way cheaper as single entities and way easier to cancel/resubscribe than cable ever was or ever will be. My advice to anyone is choose one you can't do without (Hulu personally) and keep it all the time and rotate the others as you see fit. I use Netflix for a few months to catch up, then cancel it for the remainder of the year. Will probably do the same with HBO at some point.
That's what my folks do and it works for them. (Hulu as well)
Tho, they still have cable with a few packages. I've been trying to ween them off but it's not easy.

I cut cable almost a decade ago. Started with YouTube as my main "channel" (yeah lol) and have slowly been adding more services.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully if you sub to both Disney+ and Hulu you are able to search and browse for content in just one app/player.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but Hulu is already an established competitor and Netflix hasn't had a problem competing with them. Unless the Hulu bundle is really really REALLY competitively priced and Disney publicly announces new shows/movies coming to Hulu that are on par with what they've announced for D+, I don't think the bundles will add that many more Hulu subscribers. The majority of eyeballs are gonna be drawn to the stuff on Disney+ cuz that's where the big new properties are.
Disney just got control of Hulu within the last couple of weeks. They haven't had time to implement changes yet. It's clear Disney is taking streaming seriously and that Disney+ is aimed at a younger audience. It would be nothing but surprising if Disney doesn't leverage Hulu as part of their strategy to cater to an older audience with a combination of the two covering all audiences.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Did they mention how many devices at once? I imagine it's a no brainer for a household with kids but that means 2-3 concurrent streams to satisfy everyone.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yeah but Hulu is already an established competitor and Netflix hasn't had a problem competing with them. Unless the Hulu bundle is really really REALLY competitively priced and Disney publicly announces new shows/movies coming to Hulu that are on par with what they've announced for D+, I don't think the bundles will add that many more Hulu subscribers. The majority of eyeballs are gonna be drawn to the stuff on Disney+ cuz that's where the big new properties are.

Well that was before Hulu was going to get All of the Fox adult content and before likely being bundled with Disney+

Nov 1, 2017
Disney just got control of Hulu within the last couple of weeks. They haven't had time to implement changes yet. It's clear Disney is taking streaming seriously and that Disney+ is aimed at a younger audience. It would be nothing but surprising if Disney doesn't leverage Hulu as part of their strategy to cater to an older audience with a combination of the two covering all audiences.

Unless they completely rebrand it, general audiences will never know the difference. D+ is a threat because it's a completely new thing. Hulu will never be able to match that because people have already made up their minds about it (even though they have a waaaay better library than Netflix now).

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

I'm curious to see what may or may not jump ship from Hulu to Disney+. Having Simpsons on D+ makes me wonder if Bob's Burgers might go there too, or if they keep it as is. I don't watch Runaways, but would that make more sense over at D+ for the Marvel connection or would it be better off a bit more disconnected since it has no connection to the MCU outside of casual references in the show?

Nov 1, 2017
Well that was before Hulu was going to get All of the Fox adult content and before likely being bundled with Disney+

Hulu already has Fox adult content and hardly anyone seems to care. General audiences will continue to see Hulu as a separate, much less exciting thing unless Disney goes all out with a marketing/rebranding blitz, which they don't seem keen to do.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they completely rebrand it, general audiences will never know the difference. D+ is a threat because it's a completely new thing. Hulu will never be able to match that because people have already made up their minds about it (even though they have a waaaay better library than Netflix now).
Netflix was once a mail DVD service. Nobody thinks of them as that today. Disney can change the image of Hulu over time especially with putting noticeable exclusive content on there. Combine that with good advertising of bundling the two for a discount, Hulu's image can change. Plus Disney's own slides say they expect Hulu to grow in user base from 25 million to 40 to 60 million in the next four years. I think that says to me that they have plans for it.

Nov 1, 2017
Netflix was once a mail DVD service. Nobody thinks of them as that today. Disney can change the image of Hulu over time especially with putting noticeable exclusive content on there. Combine that with good advertising of bundling the two for a discount, Hulu's image can change.

Your Netflix example is a much more radical change than Hulu going from a streaming service to a streaming service with some high profile Disney titles. Netflix literally introduced streaming services and revolutionized the industry. Hulu getting a few new shows and ads doesn't compare. Hulu can be competitive with Netflix (I think it already is IIRC) but by keeping Disney+ PG-13 and under, they've given Netflix a big foothold to position themselves as a service that still offers something Disney doesn't.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix was once a mail DVD service. Nobody thinks of them as that today. Disney can change the image of Hulu over time especially with putting noticeable exclusive content on there. Combine that with good advertising of bundling the two for a discount, Hulu's image can change. Plus Disney's own slides say they expect Hulu to grow in user base from 25 million to 40 to 60 million in the next four years. I think that says to me that they have plans for it.

The mail service is, without a doubt, a shadow of its former self, but it's still a surprisingly large service -

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/04/media/netflix-dvd-subscription-mail-trnd/index.html

Remember when Netflix used to be a DVD-by-mail company? Well, for 2.7 million subscribers in the US, it still is.

The familiar red envelopes have been arriving in customers' mailboxes since 1998 and helped earn the company a healthy $212 million profit last year.

Anyone who has perused the digital aisles of their streaming service will know the options can be limited. Netflix streaming reportedly has fewer than 6,000 film and TV titles, while DVD Netflix has about 100,000. (The company won't disclose such figures.)

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Your Netflix example is a much more radical change than Hulu going from a streaming service to a streaming service with some high profile Disney titles. Netflix literally introduced streaming services and revolutionized the industry. Hulu getting a few new shows and ads doesn't compare. Hulu can be competitive with Netflix (I think it already is IIRC) but by keeping Disney+ PG-13 and under, they've given Netflix a big foothold to position themselves as a service that still offers something Disney doesn't.
Netflix also changed from licensed TV shows to be known more for their original content and that original content is what helped them grow in recent years. Like I mentioned above, Disney expects high growth for Hulu over the next few years, and that tells me they have plans for it and leveraging its association to Disney+ with discount bundles and marketing. It just takes word of mouth of key exclusive content to start that change. I wouldn't bet against Disney to change how we view Hulu, especially from what we've seen with their approach to Disney+.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Disney didn't take 60% control of Hulu to just sit there and let it be what it already is.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
I just now realized that in a perfect world this could lead to an official release of So Weird. I think all that exists of that show is VHS recordings of when it aired on TV. I'd kill for even 480p!

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
So we know they will offer 4k/HDR content for the same price.

Will they offer surround sound?

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I just now realized that in a perfect world this could lead to an official release of So Weird. I think all that exists of that show is VHS recordings of when it aired on TV. I'd kill for even 480p!

:O I honestly forgot about that! We can only hope. There's tons of cult classics ready to be revived and watched again. I'm hoping for older stuff like Guy Williams Zorro and classic shorts. There's some newer forgotten gems I'm hoping for too like Silver Surfer and Dave the Barbarian.

Also, I wonder...

Fox_PeterPanPirates-01.jpg

Technically they own this now.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Bog Iger did go on record a year ago saying they won't have the same amount of content as Netflix and their price will reflect it.

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
:O I honestly forgot about that! We can only hope. There's tons of cult classics ready to be revived and watched again. I'm hoping for older stuff like Guy Williams Zorro and classic shorts. There's some newer forgotten gems I'm hoping for too like Silver Surfer and Dave the Barbarian.

Also, I wonder...

Fox_PeterPanPirates-01.jpg

Technically they own this now.

Be still my heart. A dream of dreams

Duracell017

Nov 4, 2017
Does anyone know if Disney Junior is included in this? I went through the slides and it didnt explicitly say Disney Jr, just Disney channel.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's a damn good price. Will probably cop for my gf and me

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
And this is why they're going to make bank.

People will subscribe because, whatever. It's $7.

Very competitive of Disney. I like it.

It's very smart. They could charge double knowing the diehard Disney fanbase is huge, but Disney doesn't have to pay shit for licensing except to itself and isn't going to be making roughly 5 million original shows per year like Netflix is.

It lets them keep the costs far lower while actually passing the savings on.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It's very smart. They could charge double knowing the diehard Disney fanbase is huge, but Disney doesn't have to pay shit for licensing except to itself and isn't going to be making roughly 5 million original shows per year like Netflix is.

It's not that they have to pay for licensing, but they are basically losing money by not having, for instance, Netflix pay to have Clone Wars, etc. So there's opportunity cost there. They have to be losing money on this. I mean, something like DC Universe is a buck more than this, basically only has one new show at a time, they don't pay licensing costs and they still continually rotate out what little content they have, and I'm not sure they're exactly profitable.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017

Plus Disney already has a pipeline and infrastructure for creating original content to begin with since that's what they do for their own channels already. There's probably a lot of Disney shows that most people on this forum that they have never heard of. Stuff like Liv and Maddie.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Plus Disney already has a pipeline and infrastructure for creating original content to begin with since that's what they do for their own channels already. There's probably a lot of Disney shows that most people on this forum that they have never heard of. Stuff like Liv and Maddie.

They have like three distinct channels (regular Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney Jr.) aimed at different ages of kids, and that's before you get into the ABC side of it, or the newly acquired FX, FXX, Nat geo.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
And this is why they're going to make bank.

People will subscribe because, whatever. It's $7.

Very competitive of Disney. I like it.
They'll definitely get my $70 on launch day (doing the yearly, makes a great deal even better!)

Disney makes a shitload from merchandising, and their content drives people to their theme parks as well. Netflix can't lean on that very much outside of a few properties like Stranger Things. Even though Disney plans to break even some years down the road on Disney+, they will start seeing benefits much faster in all of these other revenue sources, so they really can't lose. I'm glad they are going with a very competitive price, and they can easily afford to so yeah, good going Disney.