• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So, as a big Simpsons fan (yes, I even watch the newer stuff) will we get all 30 seasons in the UK when it launches? As if they do I'd probably sub for that alone.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess it's safe to say these things will never be on Netflix again/no longer in the running for future titles?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As I said in the mandalorian thread. They have to be very delusional if they think people outside the US wont just get stuff through other means when they do this shit.

I would guess that Disney intends to get the service out to as many countries as possible - it's just a matter of wading through legal overseas minefields to do so. It's all their stuff, they shouldn't have a reason to hold it back from other markets other than iron out local streaming rights with current rights holders.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know that this is an either or thing with Netflix.

It seems like a great complementary service.

Personally, I think this is it for me as far as streaming goes. Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime, and HBO on occasion should have me pretty set.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
ps4 app at launch and no xbox / switch app at launch? read between the lines.

Your reading a book between the lines, when there is barely room for a sentence. Sony pictures and Sony entertainment are 2 completely different divisions and the apps presence means nothing. Ofc it's going to be on the most popular streaming box under tvs currently on the market. If the movies are there, it's because Disney paid for them because they have no rights to them. Everything on Disney + they own royalty fre which is one reason why the price is so low. I doubt they would bother to do so for anything other than homecoming and far from home, honestly.

8 months from launch, things can change. Disney is being crazy aggressive because they have to eat away at Netflix's market share, and a ps4 exclusive console app makes no sense in that regard.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
So, Disney+ is already available here in Japan, named Disney deluxe, going for 700 yen month plus tax with a months free trial. Haven't tried it yet since there's no ps4 app available.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I would guess that Disney intends to get the service out to as many countries as possible - it's just a matter of wading through legal overseas minefields to do so. It's all their stuff, they shouldn't have a reason to hold it back from other markets other than iron out local streaming rights with current rights holders.
What legal minefields are there? I get that people selling content to Netflix make money by taking a cut for every country its shown in, but Disney own all this content. There's no crazy licensing feeds to pay... are there?

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
What legal minefields are there? I get that people selling content to Netflix make money by taking a cut for every country its shown in, but Disney own all this content. There's no crazy licensing feeds to pay... are there?

They may have negotiated away exclusive broadcasting/streaming rights for years ahead in some cases. If Disney just went ahead and streamed that same content without renegotiating those contracts first, they'd be in legal jeopardy.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
pleasantly surprised. I was sure they were going to price it like double that amount because they're Disney but that's a damn good price.

Wonder if they'll have the star war movies.

AwareSnake

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, it's already available. Search Disney Deluxe, I've been getting ads everywhere
Yeah, was about to say, it looks like it started in March. BUT according to one article I just read, Disney Japan has said that Deluxe and + are separate things. So will + content be on Deluxe when it launches in America later this year? No idea. But I'd rather pay the year + subscription than 750¥ a month.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Yeah, was about to say, it looks like it started in March. BUT according to one article I just read, Disney Japan has said that Deluxe and + are separate things. So will + content be on Deluxe when it launches in America later this year? No idea. But I'd rather pay the year + subscription than 750¥ a month.
Don't know about that. As far as I know Disney Deluxe has all the MCU, star wars, pixar, Disney animation and Disney channel movies, as long as series. Or most anyway.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of international rights for things like fox and abc properties, I guess it will depend on how much money international rights holders are willing to pay. I could see Disney going after Sky where News Corp failed though, which would help them in the UK and some European countries.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London

Of course there are. Hundreds of thousands of underlying rights agreements for format owners, authors estates, actors residuals (which vary a lot by territory), stills clearance, deals where they took third party rights financing (which is probably the majority)... Music rights alone is an unholy nightmare, you have to collectively license the service and agree a deal with the local licensing body, assume they have the rights to do so (local licensing bodies generally don't have a mandate to license downloads for Wixson music content...), existing exclusive license agreements, agreements where they only own the content in some territories....

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
In terms of international rights for things like fox and abc properties, I guess it will depend on how much money international rights holders are willing to pay. I could see Disney going after Sky where News Corp failed though, which would help them in the UK and some European countries.

Disney literally pulled out of the bidding for Sky and let Comcast buy them a few months ago.

Disney won't be owning Sky in the next twenty years.

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
They may have negotiated away exclusive broadcasting/streaming rights for years ahead in some cases. If Disney just went ahead and streamed that same content without renegotiating those contracts first, they'd be in legal jeopardy.

Sky's contract expire in 2020 - you can bet Disney won't allow VOD after that on Sky. The only thing I'm interested in is with Netflix international they have the pay period 2 on lock for Marvel/Disney Live Action/Star Wars now we don't know if the last film under the deal is Star Wars Episode 8 or if it continues past that point.