• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed the original thread for this was locked, and the mods in it said a new thread could be made when there is more news. Well, there's some more news. Mods, feel free to edit/lock as you wish.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...be-ads-amid-concerns-over-child-video-voyeurs

Walt Disney Co. is said to have pulled its advertising spending from YouTube, joining other companies including Nestle SA, after a blogger detailed how comments on Google's video site were being used to facilitate a "soft-core pedophilia ring." Some of the videos involved ran next to ads placed by Disney and Nestle.

All Nestle companies in the U.S. have paused advertising on YouTube, a spokeswoman for the company said Wednesday in an email. Video game maker Epic Games Inc. and German packaged food giant Dr. August Oetker KG also said they had postponed YouTube spending after their ads were shown to play before the videos. Disney has also withheld its spending, according to people with knowledge of the matter, who asked not to be identified because the decision hasn't been made public.

On Sunday, Matt Watson, a video blogger, posted a 20-minute clip detailing how comments on YouTube were used to identify certain videos in which young girls were in activities that could be construed as sexually suggestive, such as posing in front of a mirror and doing gymnastics. Watson's video demonstrated how, if users clicked on one of the videos, YouTube's algorithms recommended similar ones. By Wednesday, Watson's video had been viewed more than 1.7 million times.

Google really making sure that they totally kill their original "do no evil" mantra.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Let's GO! Come get this L for not doing your proper due diligence and allowing all this fuck shit, YouTube.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Let this lead to the YouTube comments section being permanently shut down. If this doesn't do it, then nothing ever will.

Please, God.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Shit got real, watch they suddenly can moderate videos now

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Google really is on some bullshit lately huh?

They were well on their way to ruining Youtube, but this... Really.

Good on those companies.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Stop comments, stop autoplay, or create a less aggressive recommendation algorithm? What are the options here?

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I can't say I even knew this was a thing, I only knew about, like, adults doing ASMR or something. I guess that goes to show how deep it runs that it can go unnoticed for so long.

I hate that it takes other big corporations for websites to moderate themselves, but if this is what it takes...

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck trying to separate your brand from youtube Epic, after that Rewind that is.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Stop comments, stop autoplay, or create a less aggressive recommendation algorithm? What are the options here?
I think another thing to add to this is for users to report this stuff (whether reporting videos that are exploitative or reporting commenters doing creepy things in otherwise innocuous videos).

The task of moderation on such a vast scale is daunting (thousands of hours of content uploaded every hour), but if they value money, which they do, they'll figure something out.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Let this lead to the YouTube comments section being permanently shut down. If this doesn't do it, then nothing ever will.

Please, God.
Yes kill the only sense of community on YouTube. There are a lot of bad people and many people who leave crap comments but as a creator I think I would miss comments.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
YouTube comments and video recommendations should be permanently removed. Their role in furthering this garbage is disgusting, and their algorithms have 'red pilled' people in swaths. Christ.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What would actually be lost if Youtube comments got shut down?

I mean, I'd happily see the entire fucking site consigned to hell... but that's not going to happen, so... why not just get rid of comments?

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Banning comments is probably the easiest solution. Without those, you'll have much fewer kids being enticed into doing exploitative stuff and there won't be the same context for the creepiness. If people still want comments, they can link to an outside forum in their video description.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking DISNEY pulled out? Holy shit that is big.

YouTube right now:

9TLHFlf.png

Last edited:

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I can't say I even knew this was a thing, I only knew about, like, adults doing ASMR or something. I guess that goes to show how deep it runs that it can go unnoticed for so long.

I hate that it takes other big corporations for websites to moderate themselves, but if this is what it takes...

It's honestly pathetic. Just do the right thing, it's not hard

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Wow! This is crazy. Heads are definitely gonna roll for this one.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
That algorithm needs some serious rework. Why is youtube so quick to recommend conspiratorial videos to me off of mundane subjects? I watch some videos for "into the spiderverse reviews" and my recommended list if filled with "SJW killing Marvel", "why SJW are killing star wars".

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I don't really know why you need unchecked comments. The comments should be disabled by default and then only allow the author to approve comments individually .

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
That algorithm needs some serious rework. Why is youtube so quick to recommend conspiratorial videos to me off of mundane subjects? I watch some videos for "into the spiderverse reviews" and my recommended list if filled with "SJW killing Marvel", "why SJW are killing star wars".
Agreed. I just watch The Binding of Isaac letsplays and Japanese craft channels - why are you recommending me 4 hour long essays about how Star Wars is killing the white race?

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone from google or youtube said anything?
Cause this is attacking the hands that feed them. YT will have to say something now.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
For a while every time i watched Jim Sterling youtube would recommend Ben Sharpiro videos, like other then living beings how are they related?

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Seriously, comments and their recommendation system are the worst things to happen to the website.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Unless this gets reported by the big wigs of media all over the place nothing will happen. This needs traction

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Saw that Matt Watson video, shit is fucked. Some of the videos he find genuinely makes your stomach turn.

The scale at which that needs to be done, though, when thousands of hours of content are uploaded every hour, is daunting.

Ofcourse but these videos tend to get pushed by the algorithm. That is what the Watson video demonstrates. They should at the very least be aware of what their system is pushing at that level.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
Yes kill the only sense of community on YouTube. There are a lot of bad people and many people who leave crap comments but as a creator I think I would miss comments.

Exactly. I absolutely love being able to drop positive comments to the amateur musicians I follow. Especially words of encouragement to the adult beginners vlogging their experience learning violin.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Finally, is always sad that Google losing money is the only thing that would/will make them take actions but I'll take it, this thing is abhorrent and something needed to be done.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How utterly fucked up. Why was the original thread locked?

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I'm only on intro to programming, but isn't this all more indicative of a malicious code that a pedophile at YouTube would create? This guy used a BRAND new account and went directly to YT, searched for a relatively innocuous video, was recommended something REALLY sketchy looking, and from there got into a little pocket of YT adjacent to YT? He says flat out that once inside the wormhole there is NO other content.

Seems like a intentional loophole used deliberately by pedophiles.