• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they are ever going to update the $300-400 worth of iTunes movies I have in HD that are available in 4K on their service. Seems like a bit of a slap in the face. It's not much of a subscription incentive because I didn't subscribe to watch what I already own.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I wonder if they are ever going to update the $300-400 worth of iTunes movies I have in HD that are available in 4K on their service. Seems like a bit of a slap in the face. It's not much of a subscription incentive because I didn't subscribe to watch what I already own.

You mean like a free upgrade? Or just having those movies be available in 4k on itunes? Because I doubt you're just going to get a free 4k upgrade for every movie you bought digitally, and I don't really see the point of buying them all again if you already own them in 1080p.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Last night, I was able to connect my iPhone to my Blu-Ray player so I could stream Gargoyles on my television. But now the app didn't have the "Connect Device To" option, so I'm very confused as to why it isn't available now (especially since I could connect Amazon Prime Video and Netflix without hassle).

Anyone care to explain why this has happened?

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
You mean like a free upgrade? Or just having those movies be available in 4k on itunes? Because I doubt you're just going to get a free 4k upgrade for every movie you bought digitally, and I don't really see the point of buying them all again if you already own them in 1080p.

Every iTunes-movie that was owned in HD got upgraded to 4K on availability for free.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Pleasantly surprised to see a Simpsons Christmas category with all the Christmas episodes sorted out.

Now to see if they play in order, or if it just goes through the normal episode order...

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Dang the Phineas and Ferb Christmas Vacation is the original version and not the extended version. I try to watch it once every year and it's really jarring to watch the original on D+. Like, I know they added songs but there's lots of little bits of dialog and jokes missing too. Disappointing :/ I think the only way to get it officially is getting the complete pack of episodes on iTunes.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting to rewatch TLJ in 4K, tonight's the night :)

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Letting my subscription lapse at the end of this month after the last episode of Mandalorian.

D+ simply doesn't offer anywhere near the value or incentive to remain subscribed and decidedly lacks the appeal of Netflix, Prime and soon-to-be HBO Max.

An expansive catalog is great but their lack of original programming, both scripted and unscripted, is not attractive in the slightest. Neither is the lack of diverse content. Re-makes of old IP's are also unattractive and unimaginative.

The Marvel series aren't going to be anything groundbreaking or critically acclaimed (much like the Mandalorian) but I'll subscribe for a month to catch up after a few of them release.

D+ works best as a one or two month a year sub compared to its competitors it certainly looks like.
Having access to nearly every Disney Movie and a large chunk of their TV shows makes it worth being subbed for life for me personally. And with how soon new movies are added to the service, I'll never have to purchase a new Disney movie again(with a few exceptions).

At the end of the day you'll know what to expect out of the service depending on how much you're into Disney as a brand. Obviously if you're not a big fan you won't get much out of it.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
As good as mando was, I think imagineering story is my favorite new thing I've watched on +. Fascinating from beginning to end

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Really surprised they didn't time out their release to have a Marvel show super close to Mando's final episode.

Jul 4, 2018
Now that Imagineering, Mando and my Star Wars film rewatch are done a lot more time for me to rewatch some of the films like Pirates as well as some of the MCU and Pixar films I want to see again.

Jul 4, 2018
Really surprised they didn't time out their release to have a Marvel show super close to Mando's final episode.
I think that is actually a really smart call as they should be put in some of the big MCU markets like Asia and Latin America not long after the launch of some of the MCU shows so may lead to less privacy.

I still find it incredibly strange that Europe is so late considering how big the Star Wars IP is there.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Having access to nearly every Disney Movie and a large chunk of their TV shows makes it worth being subbed for life for me personally. And with how soon new movies are added to the service, I'll never have to purchase a new Disney movie again(with a few exceptions).

At the end of the day you'll know what to expect out of the service depending on how much you're into Disney as a brand. Obviously if you're not a big fan you won't get much out of it.

I feel similarly but we'll have to see what they price this at once the honeymoon period is over.

What's coming to Disney+ Janurary 2020

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Here is what's coming to Disney+ (U.S.) in January.

New TV shows (January 2020)

• Austin & Ally seasons 1-4 – January 1
  • Billy Dilley's Super-Duper Subterranean Summer season 1 – January 1
  • Bugged – January 1
  • El Materdor – January 1
  • Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors – Battle of the Bands – January 1
  • Marvel Super Hero Adventures seasons 2-3 – January 1
  • Moon Mater – January 1
  • Muppet Babies Show and Tell seasons 2-3 – January 1
  • One Strange Rock season 1 – January 1
  • Out There with Jack Randall – January 1
  • Randy Cunningham 9th Grade Ninja seasons 1-2 – January 1
  • Rescue Squad Mater – January 1
  • Soy Luna season 1 – January 1
  • Spinning – January 1
  • Super Rhino – January 1
  • The Golden Touch – January 1
  • The Lodge seasons 1-2 – January 1
  • The Proud Family seasons 1-2 – January 1
  • The Super Hero Squad Show seasons 1-2 – January 1
  • Time Travel Mater – January 1
  • Tokyo Mater – January 1
  • Unidentified Flying Mater – January 1
  • High School Musical: The Musical: The Series – January 3 (and weekly on Fridays)
  • Encore! – January 3 (and weekly on Fridays)
  • Forky Asks a Question – January 3 (and weekly on Fridays)
  • The Runaways season 3 – January 10
  • Diary of a Future President January 17

New movies (January 2020)

• Cool Runnings – January 1
  • Hacksaw – January 1
  • Holes – January 1
  • Red Tails – January 1
  • Aladdin (Live action) – January 8
  • The Lion King (Live action) -- January 28
New documentaries (January 2020)

• America's National Parks season 1 – January 1
  • Continent 7: Antarctica – January 1
  • Drain Alcatraz – January 1
  • Drain The Bermuda Triangle – January 1
  • Drain The Great Lakes – January 1
  • Drain The Ocean: WW2 – January 1
  • Drain The Titanic – January 1
  • Marvel 75 Years: From Pulp to Pop – January 1
  • Wild Russia season 1 – January 1
  • Year Million season 1 – January 1
  • Life Below Zero season 13 – January 2
  • One Day at Disney – January 3 (and weekly on Fridays)
New reality series (January 2020)

• Dog: Impossible – January 1
  • Dr. K's Exotic Animal ER season 8 – January 1
  • Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet season 7 – January 1
  • Dr. T, Lone Star Vet – January 1
  • First Class Chefs: Family Style – January 1
  • Marvel's Hero Project – January 3 (and weekly on Fridays)
  • Pick of the Litter – January 3 (and weekly on Fridays)
  • The World According to Jeff Goldblum – January 3 (and weekly on Fridays)

Last edited:

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Has Encore been renewed for season 2? Best show on the channel.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I was just thinking about the same thing today. I know production and quality takes time so I'm fully understanding of it, but, it does feel weird that they didn't manage to at least get a single Marvel show to be ready shortly after The Mandalorian S1. They'll obviously drop stuff in between till spring but I doubt there's gonna be anything even close to as 'big' or 'huge' as the MCU shows coming soon. Obviously though, production and all of that takes time so it is what it is right? At the end of the day, we know it's coming.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I do kind of get the idea that Disney+ wasn't fully planned, consider they made a deal with netflix to give them exclusive rights to the MCU films for a while starting in....2026? what the fuck? anyways. Digging a bit more, it sounds like they started thinking about D+ in 2017, but at that time, they were working on IW and EG. I guess they could've started production of FAWS after EG wrapped, but they were still working on SFX, possibly until EG's release. And if it takes as long to produce FAWS and Wandavision as it does a theatrical release (about a year) they wouldn't've finished FAWS till May 2020, which is pretty close to the August 2020 release they're aiming for now. I think they would've been better off getting What If? ready maybe whenever Clone war finishes, instead of the jampacked 2021 we have now.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Also not a Fox title worldwide
You sure about that? Couldn't find anything about international distributors.

Either way though, Red Tails was the same as all of the post-ANH Star Wars films - funded by George and fully owned by LFL. Disney owns it all outright now. I don't think there's anything weird about its inclusion either. It's PG-13 and not tied down by licensing deals.

Interesting that they're adding Red Tails. I mean, it was Lucasfilm, sure, but it's also a straight up war movie. I don't understand the logic that that is fine but a lot of the FOX movies not currently on the service aren't.
Most, if not all of the lacking Fox films can be explained with: being held for future content, lack of recent masters, existing distribution deals, and R ratings.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also not a Fox title worldwide
Not what I meant, it's....
You sure about that? Couldn't find anything about international distributors.

Either way though, Red Tails was the same as all of the post-ANH Star Wars films - funded by George and fully owned by LFL. Disney owns it all outright now. I don't think there's anything weird about its inclusion either. It's PG-13 and not tied down by licensing deals.
Right.

Most, if not all of the lacking Fox films can be explained with: being held for future content, lack of recent masters, existing distribution deals, and R ratings.

What I meant is that Disney claimed a few months ago that they didn't want to dillute their family-friendly brand and were going to keep Disney+ to, well, mostly Disney stuff. It was literally Disney + Star Wars + Marvel + Pixar + Nat Geo. The few exceptions were Avatar (which Disney has been wholly integrating into their brand even before its acquisition via the theme park attractions), and family friendly FOX movies like Home Alone. Something like Red Tails, as a straight up war movie, is another step up. And is definitely an outlier on the service at this point in time.

My point being, if Red Tails can exist on the service, there is no reason a vast majority of FOX's library can't as well. Their reasoning for keeping Hulu alive and separate as its own series was basically existing on the shoulders of this "we're keeping Disney+ family friendly" argument. Of course, long term I always expected (and still expect) Hulu to cease to exist entirely and its content to be completely merged into Disney+. I'm not complaining about this at all, it's just surprising that a movie like this is being added to the service so quickly.

Could a lot of Fox movies be tied up in other licensing deals/services right now?

Some certainly could, especially recent ones. But there isn't really an explanation for a lot of the back catalog that isn't or hasn't been licensed anywhere.

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Finished Mando, now I dont see any reason to stay subscribed until Mando returns. Creating a service simply around nostalgia for a year or two sounds like a stupid idea imo.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Finished Mando, now I dont see any reason to stay subscribed until Mando returns. Creating a service simply around nostalgia for a year or two sounds like a stupid idea imo.

I meant to reply to a similar post to this earlier but I think it's a little unfair and rather shortsighted of you to compare D+ and bemoan the lack of originals to Netflix when it's half the price. It's very much a Disney Legacy service right now and the price reflects that. I think when we get a lot more of the originals, they'll probably raise the price, around 2022 or so.

I also got the bundle, having it with Hulu feels like a more comparable service imo.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

Takes time to produce this content...I think it's fine that they are giving these shows the time they need, and the price reflects that they dont have the repertoire of Netflix yet.

This first year is pretty dry, at least we have Clone Wars in between the two seasons of Mando. But if you're a Marvel fan we are gonna be eating good & plenty starting next year.

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
I meant to reply to a similar post to this earlier but I think it's a little unfair and rather shortsighted of you to compare D+ and bemoan the lack of originals to Netflix when it's half the price. It's very much a Disney Legacy service right now and the price reflects that. I think when we get a lot more of the originals, they'll probably raise the price, around 2022 or so.

I also got the bundle, having it with Hulu feels like a more comparable service imo.
For someone without kids old enough to watch TV, the price isn't the bargain you think it is. Apple released a service with no backlog, but for 2 dollars cheaper than D+, they already have 5 more shows than D+ that I'm interested in, and they're introducing at least one more new one per month the rest of the year. Most of Disney's adult shows will never see the service as they go right to Hulu, which is also cheaper than D+. Sorry, but D+ to many of us is a horrible service for any price due to the lack of interesting new content.

Status
Not open for further replies.