• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

Disney Takes Over Rights to ‘Indiana Jones’ Franchise

The Walt Disney Studios and Paramount Pictures have reached a distribution and marketing agreement for the Indiana Jones franchise. Under the arrangement, Disney gains distribution and marketing rights to future films, in addition to retaining the ownership rights it secured when it acquired...
Yeah, I guess I'm surprised Disney just hasn't gone ahead and either completely bought the rights Paramount still has over it off of them or worked out something so they can get that franchise on the service.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I think Paramount isn't parting with those streaming rights unless they get paid a huge amount of dough. Just like Universal will never give up Hulk distribution rights even though they can never make a Hulk movie.
I think you're missing the point that Sandstar mentioned above. I know why they aren't on Disney+.

Luckily I have them on iTunes.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're missing the point that Sandstar mentioned above. I know why they aren't on Disney+.

Luckily I have them on iTunes.

I didn't post the gif of the logo as "proof" why it's not on there. It was the "reason". Paramount is the "culprit". Paramount has the rights-not that simply because there is a logo it will never be on Disney+.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of things not on Disney+...

I just went to watch The Lone Ranger, which IS listed on Disney+... Says it's not available until April 30th 2021. The hell? What's even the point of having a listing for something that far out?

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I guess I'm surprised Disney just hasn't gone ahead and either completely bought the rights Paramount still has over it off of them or worked out something so they can get that franchise on the service.

Yeah that surprises me too, along with a few others, but it just depends. How much is Indy 1-4 really worth it to Disney. How big of an ROIC will it bring? I'm guessing not a lot and it can't be worth more than 7 figures. Would Paramount want to sell distro rights for less than 8 or even 9 figures? Licensing is a stop gap that can leave the service at a later date. I'm sure that's not what Disney would like.

I think Paramount isn't parting with those streaming rights unless they get paid a huge amount of dough. Just like Universal will never give up Hulk distribution rights even though they can never make a Hulk movie.

It has to be an unreasonable amount otherwise Disney would have acquired it.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

I just went to watch The Lone Ranger, which IS listed on Disney+... Says it's not available until April 30th 2021. The hell? What's even the point of having a listing for something that far out?
For the same reason earlier when someone mentioned the same thing about Ralph Breaks The Internet. If they didn't have a page telling you when it was coming, people would ask "why don't they just have a page telling you when it's coming?"

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the same reason earlier when someone mentioned the same thing about Ralph Breaks The Internet. If they didn't have a page telling you when it was coming, people would ask "why don't they just have a page telling you when it's coming?"
I don't agree with that. I would just assume it isn't on the service and that's that. Just like when I search for things on other services and it doesn't show up. Instead I searched for it, it's there, I get set up to watch it, and then oh wait... it isn't actually there at all. And not only is it not there, it's not even coming in the next year. That's a bit ridiculous.

Also, importantly, there are other Disney-owned things which "should be on the service" but don't have listings at all. So this is definitely not some consistent policy.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
This sounds so lame but I love getting to fall asleep to shows like That's so Raven and Kim Possible. It reminds me of when I was a kid struggling to stay up late on the weekends with my older brother.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Like I've said before, I like placeholder pages with dates for when things will be added because we don't have to wonder if/when something is coming. They should just add a "coming soon" banner to the thumbnail. It's much better than stuff like the Aladdin cartoon that we have no idea if/when it's coming.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Been watching the Gordon Ramsay travelogue. What a beautiful show.

Watch it while you can, I suspect they might pull it because they'll get complaints about the swearing, bleeped or not.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I've said before, I like placeholder pages with dates for when things will be added because we don't have to wonder if/when something is coming. They should just add a "coming soon" banner to the thumbnail. It's much better than stuff like the Aladdin cartoon that we have no idea if/when it's coming.
This is what I mean though, it's not consistent. I think the coming soon pages are okay if they're actually coming soon... like actually in the next 6 months or w/e. Other services do similar things so you can add them to your watchlist. There's no good reason to have listings for things over a year away.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

maybe for that question? the 'I thought so and so was Disney. ' I think either way people would have been upset. Some Middle ground would be allowing for 2019/2020 movies to be listed, but holding off on 2021 movies until maybe midway through 2020.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe for that question? the 'I thought so and so was Disney. ' I think either way people would have been upset. Some Middle ground would be allowing for 2019/2020 movies to be listed, but holding off on 2021 movies until maybe midway through 2020.
It'd be better than what is currently happening. And like already pointed out, there's other "obvious" things like Aladdin the animated series not listed at all. Does that mean it just won't ever be coming to the service? Or are they going to drop it on a future date? If it's the former, why? If it's the latter, why can't that just be the same policy as the stuff that currently have 2021+ listings?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
OP. Maybe you can make a thread mark about the question in regards to 'How come there is no 'Continue Watching'. That seems to get asked 2-3 times a page.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
So what the heck is the deal with D+ and Android platforms not showing HDR/atmos properly? Is this being fixed or looked into?

On my Nvidia Shield TV 2017 I get no HDR or atmos. Now on my Sony A1E, I manually have to change it to HDR10 or something but something looks off. Looks right but is this the right way to enable it? Nvidia Shield 2017 or lower does not support Dolby Vision only 2019 model.

If I open the D+ app directly from my Sony A1E, I get 'Dolby Vision' automatically but still no Atmos audio.

Compared to the shitty Prime app, I get HDR properly automatically without messing with options. Atmos works as well.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This is what I mean though, it's not consistent. I think the coming soon pages are okay if they're actually coming soon... like actually in the next 6 months or w/e. Other services do similar things so you can add them to your watchlist. There's no good reason to have listings for things over a year away.
It is consistent when you consider it's only for content currently streaming elsewhere. :P

It may also be that Canada and the US share the same backend with just a flag determining where you are and thus things like The Lone Ranger being shown for you as not available yet but for me as available.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
So what the heck is the deal with D+ and Android platforms not showing HDR/atmos properly? Is this being fixed or looked into?

On my Nvidia Shield TV 2017 I get no HDR or atmos. Now on my Sony A1E, I manually have to change it to HDR10 or something but something looks off. Looks right but is this the right way to enable it? Nvidia Shield 2017 or lower does not support Dolby Vision only 2019 model.

If I open the D+ app directly from my Sony A1E, I get 'Dolby Vision' automatically but still no Atmos audio.

Compared to the shitty Prime app, I get HDR properly automatically without messing with options. Atmos works as well.
It works fine on my TV if I use the built-in Google Play app or cast it from my tablet. But if I use the Fire TV stick, I get these wonky color tints that alternate every time there's a camera cut, then if I stop and restart, I get audio but no picture until I clear the app data. Rinse, repeat. Enough people are having HDR issues that Disney has to be aware. I'm sure it'll get fixed.

I can use the Fire TV app with no problems if I try to watch content available in HD but not Dolby Vision. So it seems to be purely a Dolby Vision issue where the Amazon app is concerned.

Last edited:

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
OP. Maybe you can make a thread mark about the question in regards to 'How come there is no 'Continue Watching'. That seems to get asked 2-3 times a page.
I've already learned that people don't read threadmarks. They're great for those of us that pay attention but it won't stop the people that don't bother to read anything before posting even when their question was just answered a few posts above.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
is there gonna be more content on the way?

I mean eventually.

They currently have 2 scrippted series, and 4 non-scripted series. As well as 4 shorts series. There is a 5th short series premiering in December.

Then you have Diary of a President premiering in Janurary 2020, Clone Wars in Feb 2020, Falcon and Winter Soldier late in 2020, Monsters at work 2020.

You have a bunch of marvel stuff coming in 2021, Hawkeye, Loki, Wandavision. What If....also the Cassian Andor series in 2021.

You also have 12 non-fiction series premiering in 2019-2020 (Year One)

Original Movies you have togo in December 2019, and Stargirl and Timmy Failure coming in early 2020.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Yeah, I think Disney should just acquire all of the Indians Jones movies from Paramount. Owning the Indians Jones ip seems a little pointless if you don't own the most iconic films of that franchise's history.

Especially since Disney Land has that Indiana Jones Adventure ride (or at least I think it still does?)

Also, the original Muppets Babies used actual film footage from Raiders of the Lost Ark. So, there's another reason Disney would be better off owning the original Indiana Jones films.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Yeah, I think Disney should just acquire all of the Indians Jones movies from Paramount. Owning the Indians Jones ip seems a little pointless if you don't own the most iconic films of that franchise's history.

Especially since Disney Land has that Indiana Jones Adventure ride (or at least I think it still does?)

Also, the original Muppets Babies used actual film footage from Raiders of the Lost Ark. So, there's another reason Disney would be better off owning the original Indiana Jones films.
Yeah, the ride still exists and constantly remains one of their most popular. There's also a similar ride at Tokyo DisneySea, a roller coaster at Disneyland Paris, and a stunt show at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yup. There's an Indiana Jones attraction at every Disney Parks resort except for Hong Kong, I believe. I actually wanted to watch through Young Indiana Jones Adventures, that is what I was looking for on here. Oh well.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
So awesome the Hercules and Little Mermaid animated series are here, but where's the Aladdin and Tarzan animated series?

Deleted member 33

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm impressed with the amount of content on Disney +. But I'm trying to visualize this service a year from now, after the childhood nostalgia begins to wear off. They 're off to a great start with 10 million subscribers, but they need broader content than just Disney Channel content and Marvel films if they want their subscriber numbers to significantly grow.

For starters, it would be a good idea to bring over more ABC/FOX produced family shows like Home Improvement, Ugly Betty, Fresh Off The Boat, Modern Family, The Bernie Mac Show, The Wonder Years, King of the Hill, Futurama, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, M.A.S.H, and Dinosaurs. In other words, Disney+ needs more tv shows with broader appeal than Lizzie McGuire and Hannah Montana.

Right now, The Simpson's feels like the odd duck on Disney+ compared to some of the other content. It's one of the very few TV shows on the service that has very broad appeal and isn't aimed specifically at young children/pre-teens. In Disney's defense, Malcom In the Middle is coming soon too.

They also need to dig deep into that Fox library for Disney +...and I mean very deep. They're sitting on a lot of old classic Fox films that go as far back as the 1930s, 40s, 50s, and 60s.

Last edited:

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm impressed with the amount of content on Disney +. But I'm trying to visualize this service a year from now, after the childhood nostalgia begins to wear off. They 're off to a great start with 10 million subscribers, but they need broader content than just Disney Channel content and Marvel films if they want their subscriber numbers to significantly grow.

For starters, it would be a good idea to bring over more ABC/FOX produced family shows like Home Improvement, Ugly Betty, Fresh Off The Boat, Modern Family, The Bernie Mac Show, The Wonder Years, King of the Hill, Futurama, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, M.A.S.H, and Dinosaurs. In other words, Disney+ needs more tv shows with broader appeal than Lizzie McGuire and Hannah Montana.

Right now, The Simpson's feels like the odd duck on Disney+ compared to some of the other content. It's one of the very few TV shows on the service that has very broad appeal and isn't aimed specifically at young children/pre-teens. In Disney's defense, Malcom In the Middle is coming soon too.

They also need to dig deep into that Fox library for Disney +...and I mean very deep. They're sitting on a lot of old classic Fox films that go as far back as the 1930s, 40s, 50s, and 60s.
While I'd love that, I still think people need to stop thinking of Disney+ as a full streaming service. It's half a service (Hulu is the other half) and it's priced as half a service.

Deleted member 33

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
While I'd love that, I still think people need to stop thinking of Disney+ as a full streaming service. It's half a service (Hulu is the other half) and it's priced as half a service.

Wouldn't that be the last thing that Disney wants? If people start thinking of Disney+ as only "half a service", then that creates the perception that it's a niche service for a niche audience with limited appeal.

It's also very likely that the price of Disney+ will eventually increase as more content is added to it.

Disney is projecting that Disney+ will reach between 60 million to 90 million subscribers (worldwide) by 2024. By comparison, Netflix reported this year that they had 60 million subscribers in the United States. If Disney is serious about reaching Netflix numbers, then having a diverse amount of content (that appeals to different demographics) will be key to its success.

They don't need R rated content on Disney +... But they do need more content with broader appeal like The Simpsons, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic. Old Disney Channel shows won't be enough to reach 90 million subscribers.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I agree, I just don't see it yet with the stuff that's going to Hulu that would've fit that role within D+.

I find it funny that the new episodes in their original series didn't add a little notification that there was something new to check out. If people weren't aware new stuff was being added today then they'd have no idea from the home page. It should've also moved shows in your watchlist to the top of the list showing new episodes were added but it didn't. Hopefully we won't have to wait very long for these types of QoL improvements.

MaximusPayne

Dec 14, 2017
So what devices are getting the double Ds? I hear Apple TVs are. I have an Xbox One X and not getting Atmos on titles yet.

Why is there no 'Continue Watching' section?
OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The 'Continue Watching' section was available at launch but it seems to have been temporarily disabled to accommodate for the heavy server load. We have no word on when it will be back.

done

Status
Not open for further replies.