• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Basically sums up my feelings on the service so far

I watched an old episode of The Simpsons last night. The Disney + presentation is intolerable.

He's not wrong. If you're looking for new content and want like things that change the cinematic landscape, then this isn't for you. Also I pity you if you thought before this launched that this was going to scratch that itch.

Like if you hold absolutely no nostalgia for the 90's X-men cartoon, there's no way you're going to watch it and think it's a masterpiece. All of this is still mainly children's programming, and while there's stuff like Gravity Falls, especially the older stuff is going to be targeted to kids, which doesn't magically change.

I also find it odd how he segues right into his ad/commercial for that other streaming service... I understand he has to pay the bills but I prefer my commercials outside of the commentary.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's not wrong. If you're looking for new content and want like things that change the cinematic landscape, then this isn't for you. Also I pity you if you thought before this launched that this was going to scratch that itch.

Like if you hold absolutely no nostalgia for the 90's X-men cartoon, there's no way you're going to watch it and think it's a masterpiece. All of this is still mainly children's programming, and while there's stuff like Gravity Falls, especially the older stuff is going to be targeted to kids, which doesn't magically change.

I also find it odd how he segues right into his ad/commercial for that other streaming service... I understand he has to pay the bills but I prefer my commercials outside of the commentary.
I think he makes a good point about how the novelty of watching old children's stuff you liked as a kid is going to wear off pretty quickly for most folks when the reality of what those shows were kicks in.

Not many of those shows hold up.

Namtab

Oct 27, 2017
I almost done rewatching Recess and I just realized the episodes are completely out of order. How are they messing this up?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Found this courtesy of Screenrant. You CAN request shows!

008c0c4a38098c78e82de44077470b9768f7f1f1.png

You're welcome.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I think he makes a good point about how the novelty of watching old children's stuff you liked as a kid is going to wear off pretty quickly for most folks when the reality of what those shows were kicks in.

Not many of those shows hold up.

Yeah, I agree. I wrote similar thoughts on the service this morning.

I'm impressed with the amount of content on Disney +. But I'm trying to visualize this service a year from now, after the childhood nostalgia begins to wear off. They 're off to a great start with 10 million subscribers, but they need broader content than just Disney Channel content and Marvel films if they want their subscriber numbers to significantly grow.

For starters, it would be a good idea to bring over more ABC/FOX produced family shows like Home Improvement, Ugly Betty, Fresh Off The Boat, Modern Family, The Bernie Mac Show, The Wonder Years, King of the Hill, Futurama, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, M.A.S.H, and Dinosaurs. In other words, Disney+ needs more tv shows with broader appeal than Lizzie McGuire and Hannah Montana.

Right now, The Simpson's feels like the odd duck on Disney+ compared to some of the other content. It's one of the very few TV shows on the service that has very broad appeal and isn't aimed specifically at young children/pre-teens. In Disney's defense, Malcom In the Middle is coming soon too.

They also need to dig deep into that Fox library for Disney +...and I mean very deep. They're sitting on a lot of old classic Fox films that go as far back as the 1930s, 40s, 50s, and 60s.

Disney+ is a great service, and they are off to a good start. But you're right - the service feels a little too narrow with the type of content it has.

One thing I've noticed is The Simpsons are constantly trending on Disney+. "The Mandalorian" and "The Simpsons" are the most popular things on Disney+.

Perhaps that's a sign that Disney+ would benefit from having more content with broader appeal like The Simpsons. Like King of the Hill, Futurama, Home Improvement, Modern Family. (These are all shows that Disney owns)

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Is it just me or are there a lot of good reasons for someone like me, who doesn't have kids, to just hold off on subbing until mid 2020?

I don't see any reason to sub after the free trial, i can't see myself using Disney + much at the moment.

If nostalgia is not driving you, you don't have kids, and you don't like the non scripted shows than I can agree that might be worthwhile to hold off.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Is it just me or are there a lot of good reasons for someone like me, who doesn't have kids, to just hold off on subbing until mid 2020?

I don't see any reason to sub after the free trial, i can't see myself using Disney + much at the moment.
I'm just using it to catch up on clone wars then gonna only sub for the star wars/marvel shows assuming they're good.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Perhaps that's a sign that Disney+ would benefit from having more content with broader appeal like The Simpsons. Like King of the Hill, Futurama, Home Improvement, Modern Family. (These are all shows that Disney owns)

It is weird that other tamer shows like those weren't also listed. I mean, stuff like Family Guy is a whole other story, but I mean, Simpsons already has some dirty stuff in it (and actually got worse in the more recent seasons...) Actually, is Futurama even part of the Fox-Disney deal? Trying to look up and see who even currently OWNS it. Comedy Central I think were the previous owners, unless it went back to Fox? Stuff like this can get confusing...

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
If nostalgia is not driving you, you don't have kids, and you don't like the non scripted shows than I can agree that might be worthwhile to hold off.

I agree for the reason that the library should only grow. It's like buying a console later in a generation in that sense.

Personally, for me, I'm enjoying the originals I've watched and there are many movies and shows I've never seen but want to watch. So I could also make an argument for why it could have value to someone, even if they're not just revisiting what they hold nostalgia for.

But if someone looks at the library and isn't interested, then there's no real reason to stick around and not just resubscribe when whatever you find compelling IS there.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I agree for the reason that the library should only grow. It's like buying a console later in a generation in that sense.

Personally, for me, I'm enjoying the originals I've watched and there are many movies and shows I've never seen but want to watch. So I could also make an argument for why it could have value to someone, even if they're not just revisiting what they hold nostalgia for.

But if someone looks at the library and isn't interested, then there's no real reason to stick around and not just resubscribe when whatever you find compelling IS there.

I'm also enjoying the originals, the kids are enjoying their content and the wife likes the nostalgia. I like that a large majority of the mcu/Lucas content is there. It's worth the $3.88 a month

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Basically sums up my feelings on the service so far

I watched an old episode of The Simpsons last night. The Disney + presentation is intolerable.

Meh. If you didn't grow up with Disney stuff, of course Disney+ isn't going to be all that compelling. There's tons of great stuff on it, and tons of stuff that plays well into nostalgia. It's my favorite streaming service. Now, a year from now, when I'll only care about the original stuff? Who knows. We'll see when we get there.

He says he doesn't know what the service wants to be. It couldn't be more clear: it's a place to watch most everything Disney has put out, and new original shows/movies in the same vein as other Disney stuff.

Jul 4, 2018
Actually, is Futurama even part of the Fox-Disney deal? Trying to look up and see who even currently OWNS it. Comedy Central I think were the previous owners, unless it went back to Fox? Stuff like this can get confusing...

Comedy Central was a distributor of late seasons, but the main production company is 20th Centruy Fox thus Disney owns the main stake in Futurama. It's kinda like how Friends was on NBC but made by Warner Television.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
That review has confirmed my decision not to lock in for 3 year plan. I guess I might be more interested in Hulu, depending what Disney releases on there but since I dont have nostalgia for any of the Disney shows, it will be one of those sub a month a year service.

Deleted member 33

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It is weird that other tamer shows like those weren't also listed. I mean, stuff like Family Guy is a whole other story, but I mean, Simpsons already has some dirty stuff in it (and actually got worse in the more recent seasons...)

Yeah, there were episodes in later seasons of The Simpsons that received a TV-14 rating. While the show never became as dirty/raunchy as Family Guy, the success of Seth MacFarlane's shows did convince The Simpsons to get a little dirtier/raunchier.

Actually, is Futurama even part of the Fox-Disney deal? Trying to look up and see who even currently OWNS it. Comedy Central I think were the previous owners, unless it went back to Fox? Stuff like this can get confusing...

I think Jamiem is right. It was produced / distributed by 20th Century Fox during both runs (Fox and Comedy Central). So I always assumed Disney still owned Futurama.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I tried that Milo show and enjoyed the first episode a lot, but got bored in the 2nd one as it was just the same joke over and over.

How to request a film or tv show on Disney+

Deleted member 33

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the SImpsons commentaries will be added as well once they add the 4:3 eps.

I think some of those shows will jump to Disney+ once the Hulu library gets more fuller and Disney+ aims for more content.

I'm waiting for the Bob's Burger Panel, that show is wholesome as the Simpsons but doesn't get too crazy.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I believe The Curiosity Company shares ownership of Futurama with Fox, which is why they were fast to cancel it (less residual income).

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Basically 90 percent of my Disney Plus experience has been:

- Oh cool Tomorrow Land, I missed that
- Click movie to start
- Coming in September 2021

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I believe The Curiosity Company shares ownership of Futurama with Fox, which is why they were fast to cancel it (less residual income).
Yeah that was Matt's company, I assume it's still a bit wonky a la Bento Box.

- Click movie to start

That long? Wonder who has the TV rights?

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Can't even get the service to load on Android now. Stuck on a perpetual loading circle. The one time I did get it to load, it loaded in without thumbnails, so I had to guess what the blank screens represented. This is a hot mess.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- Click movie to start

Yeah, they completely fumbled the Simpsons and there are tons of placeholder pages. I'm going to cancel before the free trial ends and come back when The Mandalorian is over.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying Disney+, but the buffering/resolution change for the PS4 app really sucks. Any time the resolution changes, the picture freezes and the sound keeps playing and I miss parts of the show or movie I'm watching. I have 1Gbps up and down, but this seems to be happening a lot.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
I'm enjoying Disney+, but the buffering/resolution change for the PS4 app really sucks. Any time the resolution changes, the picture freezes and the sound keeps playing and I miss parts of the show or movie I'm watching. I have 1Gbps up and down, but this seems to be happening a lot.
Yep. I gave up on that app.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL

Crazy. For me the Xbox One app has been smooth as silk. Works great.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seemingly unable to watch anything right now. I got Error 83 when I used the web version, and the video never started playing (both streaming AND via a download) when I hit play on my video. I'm on a Chromebook.

Is anyone else having issues watching right now?

EDIT: After restarting my Chromebook, I'm able to play the episode I downloaded. Hopefully that means it's fixed now.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I think this is a very fair criticism of Disney+ right now.
Perhaps down the line they'll build some really strong parental controls and integrate all of Hulu into Disney+.

Hulu is not going to be integrated into Disney plus, for better or worse, Disney wants to keep its content separate .

This includes releasing adult movies on the Fox brand

I'm seemingly unable to watch anything right now. I got Error 83 when I used the web version, and the video never started playing (both streaming AND via a download) when I hit play on my video. I'm on a Chromebook.

Is anyone else having issues watching right now?

I know some are and some are not. I used Firefox for desktop viewing, no issues, we' r Also used roku stick, roku TV, fire tablet, iPhone and iPad.

No issues with it. The only issue is the 'continue watch' button has been gone since opening night

Status
Not open for further replies.