• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Downloads on iOS have been significantly trimmed down (90 minute movie went from about 3.5 GB to about 550 MB) with no real discernible drop in quality.

Anyone encounter the watchlist bug? I had to redo my entire watchlist and keep it below 50 titles.

I've had some titles randomly disappear, but nothing major thankfully. The first few day's it would randomly be wrong or not show anything, but has seemed stable so far.

Seems like the AppleTV and iPad apps are correctly showing the interface to resume and the progress in a show or movie, which either didn't exist before or wasn't working for me.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
disney sent me an email saying my account was locked for suspicious activity and to change my password......but when i went to the actual website i could easily log out and in without any issues.

I'm wondering if people are clicking those thinks thinking they are legit. Perhaps they are phishing emails instead?

A couple hours after signing up on day 1 I got two emails 3 hours apart saying my account details were changed, but nothing was changed when I looked on my profile on the website. I wonder if there's just some bugs with these email notifications.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Star Wars section is down, started Clone Wars yesterday fell asleep on s1 ep 6, guess rhe server down for maintenance no early morning binge for me.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, this months payment came out of my Savings Account instead of the Debit Card I linked it to.

I rest up my payment through PayPal, so I have no idea how that happened

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've had some titles randomly disappear, but nothing major thankfully. The first few day's it would randomly be wrong or not show anything, but has seemed stable so far.

Seems like the AppleTV and iPad apps are correctly showing the interface to resume and the progress in a show or movie, which either didn't exist before or wasn't working for me.

Same for me. Now I just want Continue Watching to return.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
they really need a section that is subscribed shows, that pops up the new episodes to watch.

Also you should be able to order your watch list. Only way you can do that now is to remove a show, and then re-add it and it'll go to the top.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I still want a custom playlist feature. I just want to be able to put all of the Christmas specials and episodes in one place and shuffle them around.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Okay this thread is huge and I just started the free trial yesterday and the first thing I noticed is that the Bass is really low from my 5.1 speaker set up,compared to Netflix or even my Satellite TV shows or anything else really...checked in the options on the XBox and didnt see anything for that...anyone else noticed this(I tried Captain Marvel and one of the recent Star Wars flick)...also the 4K HDR makes dark area's too dark,outside stuff looks amazing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Screenrant: Disney Plus's Biggest Problem is it's content

Despite the number of big-name properties included in Disney+'s library, the House of Mouse's new streaming service has what may prove to be a significant problem in the future. Disney+ is lacking in original content. As it stands, most of what Disney+ offers at launch is related to nostalgia. Animated classics like The Lion King, The Jungle Book, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs are movies that many potential subscribers have already seen, and Marvel fans have more than likely already seen all of Disney+'s MCU films. So while Disney+ could be perfect for those interested in rewatching some of their favorite films and shows, it doesn't provide much in the way of original content, as opposed to Netflix or Amazon Prime Video.

The Mandalorian is responsible for a lot of the hype surrounding Disney+, but what will happen after its first season is over? Season 1 of The Mandalorian only lasts for eight episodes. When it's over, interest in Disney+ could die down. Disney+ has other original shows, but none can compare with The Mandalorian right now. Disney+ will have other high-profile shows that may achieve similar levels of hype. It has eight Marvel series in development. The problem is that Disney+ won't start rolling out its MCU shows until late 2020 with The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. That's a long time for customers to wait for a reason to keep their subscriptions. It remains to be seen if Disney+'s nostalgic appeal will be enough to keep them around.

What is everyone's thoughts on this opinion piece?

How important is new original content to keep you subscribed to Disney+?
Are you spending more time watching older content on Disney Plus -- or newer originals?

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's absolutely true - there is a real lack of original content. It shows. No two ways about it. But Rome wasnt built in a day, nor were Netflix Originals. It's easy to forget now, where Netflix is dropping new IP on seemingly the weekly, but there was a time when it only had a couple of originals too. That was like 6-7 years ago. So Disney has a lot of catching up to do.

My greater concern isnt the quantity of original content, that will come, but more with the perceived lack of diversity of what been announced so far. Everything is Marvel and Star Wars. Would something like Stranger Things ever have a shot at airing on Disney +? Disney is nothing if not super reliant on established IPs.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Are you spending more time watching older content on Disney Plus -- or newer originals?

I have kids who are watching most of these cartoons and Disney Channel shows for the first time, so we've been watching that. If not for that, the new content wouldn't be enough to keep me subscribed, it would be similar to the Apple streaming service: if you really want to see the original stuff, just subscribe once the season is complete.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Sounds right to me. I'm waiting on the mandolorian to finish before I get a free trial and binge that plus a few disney movies I've been meaning to watch. All this older content is nice, but I can't see it keeping me interested for months, let alone years. To be fair though, the only streaming service that can keep me interested and subbed for years is netflix.

It has potential but for now I'm treating it like how I'd treat getting a starz sub: get it for a month, binge the new stuff I care about, unsub, rinse and repeat every year or so.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I mean they have a bunch of mid budget family movies they've culled from some tv farming and movie schedule that they are bringing to Disney + instead like Togo next month plus they have a lot of missing backlog they can keep adding in. But it was always going to be a more fixed demographic but that's not inherently a bad thing

Oct 27, 2017

The article is absolutely, 100%, bang on.

Even once the limited MCU series start dropping and the other Star Wars series drop, Disney+ is going to have a major problem if they can't produce original content that draws people in outside those properties. Re-makes and reimagining properties won't come close to competing with Netflix, Prime, HBO and other services when it comes to their original programming.

Disney+ will struggle if it doesn't wrap Hulu into its service. Separate the mature content from the family entertainment or something but it has to happen sooner rather than later.

Oct 27, 2017
My greater concern isnt the quantity of original content, that will come, but more with the perceived lack of diversity of what been announced so far. Everything is Marvel and Star Wars. Would something like Stranger Things ever have a shot at airing on Disney +? Disney is nothing if not super reliant on established IPs.

Let alone shows like Mind Hunter or Sex Education or Haunting Of or Dark etc, etc, etc.

Having Hulu as a separate standalone service for its mature content isn't a smart play by Disney. They could easily divide D+ into family entertainment and more mature to give themselves a fighting chance with the other services.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The article is absolutely, 100%, bang on.

Even once the limited MCU series start dropping and the other Star Wars series drop, Disney+ is going to have a major problem if they can't produce original content that draws people in outside those properties. Re-makes and reimagining properties won't come close to competing with Netflix, Prime, HBO and other services when it comes to their original programming.

Disney+ will struggle if it doesn't wrap Hulu into its service. Separate the mature content from the family entertainment or something but it has to happen sooner rather than later.

It depends what the expectations are.

From just the people locked into 3 year deals plus the Verizon customers, they have a sizable audience that won't quit month to month. They'll no doubt lose subscribers after the free trial but unless the expectations are like sky high because of the initial announcement, they have a year to fix the various problems with the service and get their lineup in order.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The article is right. I'm still bummed they didn't move forward with Muppets Live Another Day. It was such a good pilot.

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Might be a dumb question but is there a reason some shows don't have all their seasons up? For examples rescue rangers only has one season. Is it something there a working on or licensing issues?

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
My biggest gripe with Disney+ is the inconsistent aspect ratios. The Simpsons, Goof Troop, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers are all supposed to be in 4:3 and are instead blown up and cropped in 16:9. Why do people do this? It's so sad.

that's been a huge bummer for me. almost all of the content I was the most interested in has been butchered (or "cropped" if you prefer a less dramatic term). others in that situation include The Little Mermaid TV cartoon and seemingly every animated Disney classic in-between Sleeping Beauty and The Little Mermaid (?).

I guess the Internet has not been as loud about that stuff as with The Simpsons, and as a result hoping for Disney to address the issue is probably a pipe dream.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

New content at least for me keeps me interested more then older stuff, Netflix funding things like Castlevania, Dark Crystal, ect they are just funding different and more interesting Shows/Movies Disney's current original content so far is pretty sparse and the Mandalorian is good but its more of the same.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
that's been a huge bummer for me. almost all of the content I was the most interested in has been butchered (or "cropped" if you prefer a less dramatic term). others in that situation include The Little Mermaid TV cartoon and seemingly every animated Disney classic in-between Sleeping Beauty and The Little Mermaid (?).

I guess the Internet has not been as loud about that stuff as with The Simpsons, and as a result hoping for Disney to address the issue is probably a pipe dream.

At least in the case of Chip and Dale's rescue rangers, it seems like it's cropped but also remastered or upscaled? I mean it's not that much newer than Duck Tales but it looks a lot better. I seem to remember the DVDs having lackluster quality. Or is it just me?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hating the app. If I have no internet connection it won't let me play movies and shows I already downloaded. Worthless when I'm underground in the subway

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
At least in the case of Chip and Dale's rescue rangers, it seems like it's cropped but also remastered or upscaled? I mean it's not that much newer than Duck Tales but it looks a lot better. I seem to remember the DVDs having lackluster quality. Or is it just me?

personally I'll take a non-remastered, low res version over a chopped off version.

maybe I'm weird but the way I see it, my brain can fill in the blanks left by the fuzziness of the picture but it cannot make up for the visual information that is completely missing from the screen.

as I already said in a different thread, a lot of that is me being passionate about the art of shot composition, which is lost with that practice.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
personally I'll take a non-remastered, low res version over a chopped off version.

maybe I'm weird but the way I see it, my brain can fill in the blanks left by the fuzziness of the picture but it cannot make up for the visual information that is completely missing from the screen.

as I already said in a different thread, a lot of that is me being passionate about the art of shot composition, which is lost with that practice.

Oh, I agree completely that they shouldn't have cropped it, all I'm saying is that they are using different methods and I don't know why. Like the Simpsons is cropped and still lower res.

On a side note, what would it take to make something like the X-men cartoon look better? Like a full remaster (which isn't happening)? Between the blurry image and the terrible animation, it's kind of a chore to watch.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
So does ps4 pro not support hdr? Also Is there a way to see what resolution the video is playing at. Like Netflix you can press the analog stick. See my tv is a Samsung from 2015 so I don't have access to an app for disney plus besides ps4 pro.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Disney has remastered the whole show, even in it's original aspect ratio:

but for some reason they cropped the remaster on Disney+ to 16:9.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Mandalorian continues to look super washed out a lot of the time. And it just looks too soft.

This is not the 4k I was looking for...
I was actually gonna come in here and say the same. I watched the first episode on my 65inch 930e last night, and a lot of scenes just look super soft/off mixed in with some higher resolution looking shots sprinkled in the first episode. I wasn't impressed by the HDR implementation at all compared to something like "SEE" on Apple TV plus or Altered carbon on Netflix.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

For Families and people who like nostalgia or like a variety of content (that appeal to PG friendly demo). This isn't a issue. Even if I wasnt locked in for 3 years, They have enough unique content out (and coming) and enough of a library for our family. We have poured hours into this service.

If all you are here for is the latest Marvel or Lucasfilm program. Then likely not worth it.

Its worth it for us and pretty much every family we are friends with. I Can see why it might not appeal to everyone.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
This whole time I thought D+ didn't have a resume feature.

Then I opened it on my PS4.

Why doesn't the AndroidTV app have resume? And yes, I checked in the settings, there's no option to turn it on.

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017

As others have mentioned,

1. New contents will come over time. There are a lot of series planned and they will be on the platform in the coming years. There is no point to put everything up front. Also, say what you want about Netflix content, the Netflix original content is still nothing comparing to the backlog content they have and people consume.

2. Disney+ is not for everyone. For family with kids, Disney+ offers tons of *new* content. My daughter is 8 and she just discovered Wizards of Wavely Place. The show is not new but it's new to her since she wasn't even born when the show was on. It's same for other older Disney movies/shows. At the same time, she is enjoying Encore and all the shorts from Forky asks A Question to Float to Muppets.

Sure, for people without kids, the selections might be limited. But if you are big fan of Marvel or Star Wars (and there are a lot of them), Disney+ is the only place with such content, old or new. You will have to bite the bullet to sub for it if you want those content.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Agreed, and that's why I'm not surprised with the huge initial userbase of 10mil, but I expect a bit of a drop soon in a couple weeks. Those 3 year people are locked in, some of the 7-day trial people were not fans of the offerings, and once Mandalorian is done, I can see the numbers of monthly subs to drop even more. That's just looking at the negative of things, and I'm sure somewhere in there more people will find out about it and sub later, but for those wanting new stuff, will need to wait a while. This was a point I argued on a bit many pages back, because I don't see that 10mil to grow. This is where exclusives shine, because the other content will already be there. How many more new people, just discovering the service will jump in? (Families though, will find A LOT more value with the selection of kids shows, for sure).

As for me, I have my free year, so I can't complain about sub stuff yet, but content IS lacking. The exclusives are sort of a niche, and I can't see a lot of them having TOO hide an appeal (as much as I enjoy great documentaries etc., not everyone is). For now, I'm planning on going through a few shows of older stuff, and then I'll decide later what to do. For the majority, there's no AAA product other than Mandalorian for a LONG time.

Status
Not open for further replies.