• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So casting Disney+ to my Vizio tv suddenly works... Sort of. It says it's casting in 480p.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I love Disney+ so far. The Imagineering Story is incredible as far as their Originals to me.

But I do have a question...

There are actually 3 major Star Wars projects called Star Wars: The Clone Wars. A 2003 animated miniseries. A 2008 Theatrical CGI film. And a later 2008 CGI TV show.

It seems that all of the Clone Wars content was produced by Lucasfilm and Warner Bros. (or with Cartoon Network, owned by Warner Bros.). But when the 2008 CGI series was cancelled by Cartoon Network, it was picked up by Netflix. Netflix produced one season and cancelled the show. Then, it was announced Disney+ would revive it for one last season in February 2020.

Now, strangely Disney seems to hold the streaming rights to the 2008 theatrical CGI film from Warner Bros. and Lucasfilm, and the 2008 CGI series, which is removed from Netflix. It's quite unusual for Netflix to let their series go once they've acquired them, but alas that has happened. So that's neat.

But the 2003 animated Clone Wars from Cartoon Network is not there. So now I wonder... will that go on Warner Bros.' HBO Max next year or is Disney working on getting the rights to stream it?

Also notably absent from Disney+ are The Last Jedi and Solo, which are still held by Netflix for now.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I love Disney+ so far. The Imagineering Story is incredible as far as their Originals to me.

There are actually 3 major Star Wars projects called Star Wars: The Clone Wars. A 2003 animated miniseries. A 2008 Theatrical CGI film. And a later 2008 CGI TV show.

It seems that all of the Clone Wars content was produced by Lucasfilm and Warner Bros. (or with Cartoon Network, owned by Warner Bros.). But when the 2008 CGI series was cancelled by Cartoon Network, it was picked up by Netflix. Netflix produced one season and cancelled the show. Then, it was announced Disney+ would revive it for one last season in February 2020.

Now, strangely Disney seems to hold the streaming rights to the 2008 theatrical CGI film from Warner Bros. and Lucasfilm, and the 2008 CGI series, which is removed from Netflix. It's quite unusual for Netflix to let their series go once they've acquired them, but alas that has happened. So that's neat.

But the 2003 animated Clone Wars from Cartoon Network is not there. So now I wonder... will that go on Warner Bros.' HBO Max next year or is Disney working on getting the rights to stream it?

Also notably absent from Disney+ are The Last Jedi and Solo, which are still held by Netflix for now.

Just because Netflix helped fund it doesn't mean they get to keep the rights in perpetuity, it depends on how they negotiate the contract.

The 2003 Clone Wars... I don't think anyone really knows. It contradicts a lot of what the later Clone Wars establishes so some think it's just missing because they want to keep a singular vision of Star Wars. But the DVDs have been out of print for a long time, and they have seeming had no interest in re-releasing it. I highly doubt that it'll show up on HBO Max, though.

All the films that are licensed for streaming elsewhere are absent from Disney+ until those contracts run out. You can see from Ragnarok and Infinity War that they will show up on Disney + the day after the rights expire.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The 2008 film is really just the pilot movie to the 2008 series. It is like 4 episodes stitched together. Disney wholly owns the 2003 cartoon as well, it's just not up there for reasons.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't actually watched anything to completion despite subbing since launch. Watched half the Mandalorian pilot and decided it would be better to wait until most if not all episodes are available. Had a handful of 5-15 minute nostalgia trips with cartoons and such from my childhood. Started Captain Marvel, which I was actually excited to see because of Brie & The 90s, but the beginning of that movie is soooooooooo fucking bad, that couldn't even force myself to pay attention and power through.

My biggest disappointment is that the Nat-Geo line-up is pretty sparse. At this rate I'll probably cancel after the first of the year.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Aside from content not available due to licensing agreements, what is on your Disney+ wishlist? I would love to see a Donald Duck collection similar to the DVD sets they put out years ago.

The Three Lives of Thomasina
Zorro TV Series
Dave the Barbarian
Avengers Disk Wars and Future Avengers
The Muppet Show and Muppets Tonight
Aladdin the Series

As Emily said, some of the other Fox Kids material would be great. Peter Pan and the Pirates is a tragically obscure gem. I just don't see Disney adding it because I think they want THEIR Peter Pan to be the ONLY Peter Pan. I can see them offering some kind of "It's different and confusing to kids!" excuse.

I was not really for Kitbull.... jesus :(

I love the short, but I don't think I could ever watch it again. It wrecked me so hard.

I haven't actually watched anything to completion despite subbing since launch. Watched half the Mandalorian pilot and decided it would be better to wait until most if not all episodes are available. Had a handful of 5-15 minute nostalgia trips with cartoons and such from my childhood. Started Captain Marvel, which I was actually excited to see because of Brie & The 90s, but the beginning of that movie is soooooooooo fucking bad, that couldn't even force myself to pay attention and power through.

My biggest disappointment is that the Nat-Geo line-up is pretty sparse. At this rate I'll probably cancel after the first of the year.

This is a really bizarre way to do things that I'll never understand.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As Emily said, some of the other Fox Kids material would be great. Peter Pan and the Pirates is a tragically obscure gem. I just don't see Disney adding it because I think they want THEIR Peter Pan to be the ONLY Peter Pan. I can see them offering some kind of "It's different and confusing to kids!" excuse.
I mean, they have a dozen different marvel cartoons that are all completely different up there already.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I mean, they have a dozen different marvel cartoons that are all completely different up there already.

I thought about that, but in that case they're still all Marvel that can be seen as different eras in the same sense as the different Mickey Mouse shorts. We're talking a completely different studio with a completely different take. Don't get me wrong I WANT to see PPatP, but I'm just pretty pessimistic about its chances.

It's just my experience with the service so far, not how I necessarily "do things".

I don't mean your satisfaction or anything. You're certainly free to like and dislike at your whim (in fact, I think cancelling/unsubscribing until there's more original content is very understandable). I just mean the "I watched this for 5 minutes and gave up" is a real head scratcher for me, that's all unless I'm misinterpreting your post.

Jul 4, 2018
It's quite unusual for Netflix to let their series go once they've acquired them, but alas that has happened. So that's neat.

It is less unusual than you would think, off the top of my head The Killing, Knights of Sodonia and Lilyhammer are all "originals" that have been removed.

The problem with Netflix originals is that most of them are produced by outside companies like for example The Crown is made by Sony so they pay an exclusivity agreement for a certain amount of years and then need to renew that contract or then content is removed. Stranger Things is one of the few they completely own and I expect there will be more that are made in house in the future (I think a while back someone went through all their original content and found that only something like 1/5 were made in house but I could be wrong with the figure).

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It is less unusual than you would think, off the top of my head The Killing, Knights of Sodonia and Lilyhammer are all "originals" that have been removed.

The problem with Netflix originals is that most of them are produced by outside companies like for example The Crown is made by Sony so they pay an exclusivity agreement for a certain amount of years and then need to renew that contract or then content is removed. Stranger Things is one of the few they completely own and I expect there will be more that are made in house in the future (I think a while back someone went through all their original content and found that only something like 1/5 were made in house but I could be wrong with the figure).
Huh. It must vary by region, but thanks for pointing this out! I never knew any Originals left until the revived Clone Wars went to Disney+. But checking now, in the USA they no longer have The Killing and it seems to have reverted to ownership with AMC and Fox who produced it so it is not on Hulu and Prime here with no Netflix branding. Lilyhammer is still up in USA as a Netflix Original.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Huh. It must vary by region, but thanks for pointing this out! I never knew any Originals left until the revived Clone Wars went to Disney+. But checking now, in the USA they no longer have The Killing and it seems to have reverted to ownership with AMC and Fox who produced it so it is not on Hulu and Prime here with no Netflix branding. Lilyhammer is still up in USA as a Netflix Original.

Is just.. complex with Netflix because there are Netflix shows produced entirely by Netflix (i.e. Stranger Things, OINTB), Netflix shows that are simply "picked up" by Netflix but made by other studios (i.e. Lucifer, The Clone Wars, Arrested Development), and Netflix shows that are co-produced with other studios (i.e. Lilyhammer). All of these varied show types will be labeled as "Netflix Originals" but the ones that have been "picked up" or revived and the ones that are Co-Produced will only show the "Netflix Original" in the regions where the shows didn't already have a local distribution outlet. So Lilyhammer showed "Netflix Original" in the US but not in it's native region. Lucifer, TCW, Arressted Development won't show "Netflix Original" in the US or any territory where it was previously aired through a local station but WILL show that in territories that it never aired.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Is just.. complex with Netflix because there are Netflix shows produced entirely by Netflix (i.e. Stranger Things, OINTB), Netflix shows that are simply "picked up" by Netflix but made by other studios (i.e. Lucifer, The Clone Wars, Arrested Development), and Netflix shows that are co-produced with other studios (i.e. Lilyhammer). All of these varied show types will be labeled as "Netflix Originals" but the ones that have been "picked up" or revived and the ones that are Co-Produced will only show the "Netflix Original" in the regions where the shows didn't already have a local distribution outlet. So Lilyhammer showed "Netflix Original" in the US but not in it's native region. Lucifer, TCW, Arressted Development won't show "Netflix Original" in the US or any territory where it was previously aired through a local station but WILL show that in territories that it never aired.

OITNB wasn't a Netflix production, it was a Netflix commission but made by Lionsgate, same as The Crown with Sony or Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt was by NBCU.

Only things credited to Netflix Studios were made in-house and won't revert eventually.

Jul 4, 2018
Yeah I imagine some of it will be by region and also nothing stopping them from picking it up again at a later date.

Also this just proves the strength the Disney has in owning the vast majority of content on Disney+ is that you will be able to watch most of it as long as the service continues.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
OITNB wasn't a Netflix production, it was a Netflix commission but made by Lionsgate, same as The Crown with Sony or Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt was by NBCU.

Only things credited to Netflix Studios were made in-house and won't revert eventually.

I'm unfamiliar with the situation with The Crown. But OITNB and Kimmy Schmidt were different in that Kimmy was originally developed for NBC and sold to Netflix later. OITNB is, as you said, a commission. So it's not quite the same as typical broadcast TV pilot shopping deals and more akin to, say, the way Netflix orders its original animation from various studios that it doesn't own. But I've never seen anything detail how broadcast rights get worked out for stuff like OITNB.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Indeed. Another interesting example is The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. That Netflix show is both produced and distributed by Warner Bros.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
You know, Episode 3 still looks pretty good CG wise 14 years later, holds up nicely overall. Episode 1 and 2 look awful in comparison. It's a huge upgrade. Also, 4k dolby vision looks great.

Also, that soundtrack is still fire.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018
So it's not quite the same as typical broadcast TV pilot shopping deals and more akin to, say, the way Netflix orders its original animation from various studios that it doesn't own. But I've never seen anything detail how broadcast rights get worked out for stuff like OITNB.

In the US this was true but both House of Cards and OITNB got sold to overseas Territories we Netflix didn't exist and it became I hassle when they started streaming in Australia for instance and didn't have rights to their "own" shows.

If you want to read up on it: https://www.smh.com.au/entertainmen...-orange-is-the-new-black-20150420-1mojvb.html

Grugga Pug

Nov 5, 2017
Error Code 83 will be the death of me. All I want to do is watch episode 3 of Mando, but this damn error has me stuck.

Jul 4, 2018
You know, Episode 3 still looks pretty good CG wise 14 years later, holds up nicely overall. Episode 1 and 2 look awful in comparison. It's a huge upgrade. Also, 4k dolby vision looks great.
The time between Episode 1, Episode 2 and Episode 3 is the same time gaps between The Avengers, Age of Ultron and Infinity War in both case the latter films make much better use of CGI. It's all about the improvements in technology across 3-6 years and can make a huge difference. It's also why modern Disney Star Wars looks so damn good.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So jelly right now, Disney clearly doesn't want my money, will get Mandalorian spoiled to hell and back before it's open in Latin America. How's the UI? Is it better than Netflix?

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
In the US this was true but both House of Cards and OITNB got sold to overseas Territories we Netflix didn't exist and it became I hassle when they started streaming in Australia for instance and didn't have rights to their "own" shows.

If you want to read up on it: https://www.smh.com.au/entertainmen...-orange-is-the-new-black-20150420-1mojvb.html

This is really interesting. Because even House of Cards was a bit different from OITNB in that it was originally a BBC show. So I knew House of Cards rights would inherently be different. Thanks for the link!

Jul 4, 2018
So jelly right now, Disney clearly doesn't want my money, will get Mandalorian spoiled to hell and back before it's open in Latin America. How's the UI? Is it better than Netflix?
In same ways it's better (can turn off auto play trailers and has sections for different content Marvel, Star Wars, Disney, Pixar, Nat Geo ) but they had to gut most features like resume and continue watching although both this features are slowly making/made their way back. Overall should be pretty similar to Netflix by the time it reaches you with a couple of nice twists.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, primarily because it's still missing the "Continue Watching" section. The search function is also weird, especially when it comes to titles with multiple ways of spelling them (someone said they were having trouble with the 101 Dalmatians films this way), or if they're some of the old shorts.

Jul 4, 2018
No, primarily because it's still missing the "Continue Watching" section. The search function is also weird, especially when it comes to titles with multiple ways of spelling them (someone said they were having trouble with the 101 Dalmatians films this way), or if they're some of the old shorts.
Continue Watching has come back for certain people now, slowly rolling out for everyone over the next couple of days like the resume feature did I imagine.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna bother looking at the back pages, but can anyone tell me if there's a way to adjust the video quality? I'm getting a 4k streaming device soon but I don't want it to default to that all the time and ruin my data cap.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean your satisfaction or anything. You're certainly free to like and dislike at your whim (in fact, I think cancelling/unsubscribing until there's more original content is very understandable). I just mean the "I watched this for 5 minutes and gave up" is a real head scratcher for me, that's all unless I'm misinterpreting your post.

Didn't say that. "a handful of 5-15 minute nostalgia trips with cartoons and such from my childhood" was the quote. And yeah, quick "YouTube" like sessions where I jump between themes, beloved scenes, etc... from childhood favs have been the best thing about the service so far. Honestly I wish I had the time or inclination to watch hours of Rescue Rangers & Darkwing Duck.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
I've had no problem with PS4. I do need to get a 4K Apple TV or Firestick so that I can watch it in 4K on my older Samsung TV that isn't an HDR set. The newer TV in the room works right off the TV with no issues

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
So did Disney+ quietly add some additional films from their backlog today?

Because I'm suddenly seeing Home Alone in their carousel unit, and I don't remember that being on the service at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.