• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
Does anyone know what I need to do on a samsung TV (MU8000) to get proper HDR/4K? I can't say I am too impressed by the video quality of TLJ/RO so far, certainly don't seem like 4k when comparing to playing it from a bluray.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Alright gang, what's the best Cyber Monday streaming stick solution for Disney+? I've been using a PS4 so far, but I'm interested in exploring alternatives today when those alternatives should be on sale.

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
A yearly subscription is on sale

Alright gang, what's the best Cyber Monday streaming stick solution for Disney+? I've been using a PS4 so far, but I'm interested in exploring alternatives today when those alternatives should be on sale.

4k FireStick is half off if you are into Amazon products

Roku 4k also seems to be a decent choice and is half off

Apple TV 4K isn't on sale but Apple is giving away a $25 gift card with purchase

www.apple.com

Buy Apple TV 4K

Apple TV 4K has movies, shows, live TV and sports, and gaming — in 4K Dolby Vision and HDR10+. Get Apple TV+ free for 3 months. Buy now at apple.com.

Last edited:

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
HSMTMTS isn't great. I'm not sure if sometimes it wants to be a parody/taking the piss/paying homage/wants to be its own thing. I just don't get it. 4 eps in and I was expecting more music (from the original mainly) but it's just some weird love triangle with some songs thrown in now and again.
Its more of an original tv series that happened after HSM was filmed there. crazy lady just trying to make a HSM play. so theres more teen drama than HSM.

at first i thought they were just going to make a tv series based off the original 3 movies but im okay with that.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
how's the High School Musical show?
One of the worst shows I've ever seen. Absolute junk, but then again, I doubt I'm its target audience. When my kid is 10 she'll probably love it.

And for people who like to manage their subscriptions via iTunes, Amazon currently has a 20 percent off deal on iTunes 50 dollar cards. Cheaper to subscribe that way than even Disney's own Cybermonday sale.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea where the fellow is getting "worst show ever" from if I'm being quite tbqfh. If you just don't like disney channel live action shows then there's a good chance you wont like this. I mean I don't watch or care for them nowadays, but I did back in the day. This show seems like a somewhat less campy version of what I remember those being, and has a continuous overarching plot that moves fast so it's fun enough.

It's a drama about highschoolers with a theater plot in the background. (And the play that they're practicing for happens to be HSM) If you have some nostalgia for disney channel live action shows and that sounds worth giving a shot to you, you'll probably enjoy it.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see they're offering a deal today....

Got the annual for $10 off, plus another $10 cash back from Rakuten, plus another 5% back in points for paying on my Chase Freedom card via PayPal

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I'm going to give the trial a shot, but aside from Gargoyles, what other movie or television series should I check out?

For clarification, I have little interest with the Star Wars movies, and I'm good for the Marvel stuff. I'm much more interested to see what obscure or underrated animated movie/television series on the service is worth a look.

Well they were just mentioned a couple of posts above but

Legend of the Three Caballeros - Was originally going to be a Netflix original, aired/streamed exclusively in the Philippines and quietly added to the service
Silver Surfer - I know you said you're good on Marvel stuff, but it's an incredibly obscure gem (never released on DVD outside a very small, limited release in Europe many years ago) making its streaming debut.

I want to rewatch So Weird (late 90s show about a young girl and her travelling family coming across strange paranormal occurances) and Hercules The Series (I was never a huge fan of the movie, it always bugged me how they watered down the characters but I thought the cartoon was really fun)

It's also worth noting that a lot of the old animated shorts (Mickey, Donald, Goofy, etc) are in HD and look GREAT!

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Disney+ is just a scam by the food industry to get families with young children to buy more hot dogs, hot dogs, hot diggity... Damn it!

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
n7vtBfD.png

Anastasia is up on Disney+ AU: https://www.disneyplus.com/movies/anastasia/kk5jp1fOnbBy

Anyone else want to check and see where its up?!

Last edited:

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Well they were just mentioned a couple of posts above but

Legend of the Three Caballeros - Was originally going to be a Netflix original, aired/streamed exclusively in the Philippines and quietly added to the service
Silver Surfer - I know you said you're good on Marvel stuff, but it's an incredibly obscure gem (never released on DVD outside a very small, limited release in Europe many years ago) making its streaming debut.

I want to rewatch So Weird (late 90s show about a young girl and her travelling family coming across strange paranormal occurances) and Hercules The Series (I was never a huge fan of the movie, it always bugged me how they watered down the characters but I thought the cartoon was really fun)

It's also worth noting that a lot of the old animated shorts (Mickey, Donald, Goofy, etc) are in HD and look GREAT!

I'll go and check out your recommendations. I didn't realize there was a Three Caballeros series. 0_0

And, as someone who collected most of the Walt Disney Treasures DVD's, the theatrical shorts in high definition sounds like a dream.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how to take advantage of the Cyber Monday deal?

I'm a monthly subscriber, and tried to cancel and resub using the yearly price, but there's no option to do so

do I really need to make a new account?

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Anyone know how to take advantage of the Cyber Monday deal?

I'm a monthly subscriber, and tried to cancel and resub using the yearly price, but there's no option to do so

do I really need to make a new account?
Yep. They're not targeting existing customers with this deal.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
To anyone using a Roku Ultra, is there no way to watch UHD content in SDR? I set the device to 4K (not 4k HDR), and the HD stream is the only one available (not UHD). If I change the device to output to 4K HDR, the 4K version of the movie is then available but it forces HDR.

I bought the Roku Ultra since my TV (Sony XBR49x900f) forces Dolby Vision on all 4K content on Disney + and it looked like I could disable this on the Roku by setting 4K and not 4K HDR. But doing this makes the UHD version of the movies not available only HD.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
To anyone using a Roku Ultra, is there no way to watch UHD content in SDR? I set the device to 4K (not 4k HDR), and the HD stream is the only one available (not UHD). If I change the device to output to 4K HDR, the 4K version of the movie is then available but it forces HDR.

I bought the Roku Ultra since my TV (Sony XBR49x900f) forces Dolby Vision on all 4K content on Disney + and it looked like I could disable this on the Roku by setting 4K and not 4K HDR. But doing this makes the UHD version of the movies not available only HD.

For what it's worth, I own a Streaming Stick+ and have the same issue.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth, I own a Streaming Stick+ and have the same issue.

I called Disney + customer support and the referred me to Roku. Of course, Roku customer support referred me back to Disney +. Very frustrating.

I'm hoping Sony will add Disney + to its UBP-x700 4k blu ray player as it disables Dolby Vision and HDR in the settings and produces a great SDR 4K image.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
This fucking player, jesus christ. How many times have I tried to rewind something on PS4, and then for some random fucking reason, the spot on the timeline is several minutes ahead of where we're actually watching?

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
It's still early days, but man, they gotta iron so much of this shit out. Also not having any kind of preview image as you scrub through is such an annoying oversight.

I'll keep that in mind when I'm on my trial period, as I haven't experienced that when I'm streaming with Amazon Prime Video or Netflix.

I'm going to watch Gargoyles (specifically the five-episode pilot) and hope there are not too many hiccups. I know about the aspect ratio shenanigans with the pre-widescreen Simpsons episodes, but I'm praying that's more of an isolated instance.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I'll keep that in mind when I'm on my trial period, as I haven't experienced that when I'm streaming with Amazon Prime Video or Netflix.

I'm going to watch Gargoyles (specifically the five-episode pilot) and hope there are not too many hiccups. I know about the aspect ratio shenanigans with the pre-widescreen Simpsons episodes, but I'm praying that's more of an isolated instance.
I've run into repeat bugs like once in a while, the image will freeze for like 10 seconds as the audio continues, and then suddenly it will repeat that clip normally. It's not all the time, but it's almost like once every couple episodes with some shows.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
It finally works on linux. They must have reduced the widevine requirements. Loaded it up in Firefox today on Ubuntu and it streamed for the first time there. No Error 83.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I've had no problems with the player on browser or the XB1 app watching Mandalorian, Rebels, and a few movies. A bit upset that Runaways isn't available in Canada.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
i'm glad Imagineering seems to be pretty honest, warts and all. Obviously it doesn't reveal everything, but a lot of it.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know what their release plan is for new content/adding more stuff? I worry that once Mandalorian ends and I finish my MCU rewatch, there wont be much left for me for awhile.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Does anyone know what their release plan is for new content/adding more stuff? I worry that once Mandalorian ends and I finish my MCU rewatch, there wont be much left for me for awhile.
There's a threadmark before the last one that lists the known dates for movies being added through the end of 2021. Other stuff we don't know the dates yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.