• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
surprised there isn't a thread on this

The animation studio has finally announced the long-awaited next film on its post-Frozen slate: Raya and the Last Dragon, an original animated feature that will star Awkwafina (as Susi the Dragon) and Cassie Steele (as Raya). Disney Animation chief creative officer Jennifer Lee made the announcement at Disney's biennial fan expo D23 on Saturday.

Produced by Moana veteran Osnat Shurer and written by Crazy Rich Asians scribe Adele Lim, Raya and the Last Dragon is directed by Frozen and Big Hero 6 head of story Paul Briggs and story artist/Tick Tock Tale creator Dean Wellins, who introduced the new Southeast Asian-inspired original to the crowd.
The movie takes place in the fictional Kumandra, "a reimagined earth inhabited by an ancient civilization that venerated the mythical dragons for their power and their wisdom," Shurer described. "It's inspired by Southeast Asia, both in its themes of community and hope, and in its design." Kumandra's five distinct clans form the Land of the Dragon, but dragons are long gone and Kumandra has since been invaded by a "dark, sinister force."
Footage shown at the presentation displayed a fierce Raya treading through a rainy forest, approaching an ancient temple, entering a dark passageway filled with dragon carvings—and being trailed by her narrating, flute-playing, presumably annoying little brother. The clip culminated in the siblings coming face to face with Sisu, a pink-and-teal dragon who also takes the form of a human.

more here

my thoughts: they're going for a more badass princess like Merida from Brave. and also aiming for China given how they're a rapidly growing animation power. if it means getting movies more different from the usual stuff, I'm all for it

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Wow, surprised to see Manny from Degrassi lead a big movie. I thought her career was dead.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
I don't know who Awkwafina is but I really hate seeing that name because it's a dumb fucking name and it's everywhere lately.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Not a musical? Come on Disney, people don't listen to Moana songs on YouTube and Spotify for hundreds of millions times for nothing. Make your DAC movies musicals again and hire Lin Manuel again.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds great. SE Asian mythology is painfully underrepresented in animation/cinema.

I loved Moana, too.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Bro who tf is Awkwafina's agent no cap
She's hit basically a perfect storm of timing. She got widespread notice for her supporting turn in Crazy Rich Asians, and has more recently proven to be legit as an actress with The Farewell, just as Disney are ramping up several Asian focused projects with Shang-Chi and Raya that she's now been cast in, as well as some other big projects like the third Jumanji. It's pretty nuts how fast you can go from little known to being in demand everywhere though, a year ago she was just "that youtube rapper".

I wonder if she regrets only being known by the stage name and not her actual name (Nora Lum) now that it seems her main career is acting in films, not rapping. At a certain point it's too late to switch.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do believe they'll make new 2D movies, but probably for Disney+. if they make it to theaters, that's a bonus

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
Re Awkwafina, she should start doing the Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson stuff now. Too talented for that joke name.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Awkwafina finally stopped throwing her voice with the blaccent in her last few roles, right? She was a one-trick pony for a while, but if she's broken that mold, then good for her.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Donald Glover seems to be doing okay as Donald Glover and Childish Gambino.
Donald Glover doesn't use the Childish Gambino handle for his acting projects. Awkafina does. I mean in the end it doesn't matter, she's awesome and growing in talent and popularity whatever stage name she uses....and everyone still calls Dwayne Johnson "The Rock" anyways, lol.