• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hidden in a new THR article about Bob Iger's new focus:

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Bob Iger’s Next Priority? Streamline Disney+ Development

In his new Disney role Bob Iger is likely to tackle the streaming service, which, despite its booming subscriber numbers, is suffering a dearth of original series, brand identity issues and stars pleading to move their shows to Hulu.

In a sign of the challenges, Disney+ has developed then scrapped three original series in the past year: scripted comedy Muppets Live Another Day from Adam Horowitz, Eddy Kitsis and Josh Gad; Disney villains drama Book of Enchantment from Michael Seitzman; and, per sources, a never-announced Tron adaptation from John Ridley.
And Tron, which Ridley was developing via his ABC Studios overall deal, had been in the works, though not officially greenlit, for several months when it fell apart, per sources.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If a decade or more doesn't pass between one decent official Tron material and the next, it won't materialize at all huh.

Oct 27, 2017
This hurts. The lack of a proper sequel for legacy also hurts.

A 4K HDR upscale of Legacy could temporarily sooth the pain if anyone at Disney is listening.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
WTF is wrong with Disney!!!??
Tron as an IP has so much potential.
Tron Legacy's ending was just about to give us some Digimon invading reality shit and they just cut the cord.
FUCK!!

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
This could have been the first good Tron thing like ever; American Crime is perhaps the best and most daring thing to be on network TV this century. Hope Ridley's scifi film comes out at some point.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Are you fucking kidding me?!

American Crime is one of the most UNDERRATED shows of all time, my goodness. This would have been great. Ugh.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sad truth of Tron is that it doesn't have enough of an audience to justify the budget that it requires for CG, unique sets, and costumes.

You really don't want to see Tron with TV-level production values anyway.

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
big budget live action Tron series with black creatives behind the scenes... we could've had it alllllll

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
DC canceled a comic (or was it a show?) from Ridley as well, so he's kinda becoming one of those talented dudes that can't seem to actually get shit off the ground tbh

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Can we at least get a "final season" of Uprising on Disney+ like Clone Wars did? And then put that whole series in a Blu-ray box set please.

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
Because Tomorrowland didn't make enough to greenlight a sequel
FTFY
When the next TRON was supposed to start - we were greenlit and ready to go - and then [Disney] had troubles with how Tomorrowland did. And I think they asked them to give them like a hundred reasons why they should do [TRON 3]. And if that didn't fall through, I never would've been able to work with [Stephen] Soderbergh on [Mosaic].
https://screenrant.com/tron-3-tomorrowland-garrett-hedlund/

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
#FlynnLives

:(

Can I at least get a 4k HDR version of Legacy? The movie is practically made of contrasts, it's a perfect showcase for HDR.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
tbf Tron is a tough cookie to crack for "today's audience"

decent-ish as Legacy was it boils down to hey, remember 1982? that was cool. for better or worse disney wants to cast a wider net than late 30/40 somethings

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But thank god we're getting that live action beauty and the beast Gaston prequel everyone wanted am I right

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Hidden in a new THR article about Bob Iger's new focus:

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Bob Iger’s Next Priority? Streamline Disney+ Development

In his new Disney role Bob Iger is likely to tackle the streaming service, which, despite its booming subscriber numbers, is suffering a dearth of original series, brand identity issues and stars pleading to move their shows to Hulu.
And they cancelled a lot of the marvel stuff they had for Hulu. I literally just got done telling a friend they need to bring the original content. I forgot to cancel when Mando was over. Now they have the new season of clone wars. This is only reason I have for subscribing now and prior to this I don't think I signed in at all since the Mando ended.

Deleted member 37303

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 2, 2018
To borrow from John Mulaney's recent SNL monologue, Tron is really big to a really small group of people. The average person does not care about Tron and the average person is where Disney makes its money. I'm sure Disney is looking at Tron from the perspective of "will this sell more Disney+ subscriptions?" and the answer is almost certainly not. It's a shame though, Legacy was amazing visually and had a great score. But that's about all it had going for it.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
No need to fret folks. They OBVIOUSLY had to scrap the show because Tron 3 requires their full attention. I mean, just imagine living in a world where a sequel to Legacy hasn't been greenlit. Unthinkable. Preposterous.

:(

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This shit is making me sick really. I dont understand their lack of ability to do right by this franchise. Its fucking bizarre.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I loved Tron Legacy and has never even seen the original and didn't expect much from it when I started watching. Was absolutely enthralled. Amazing visuals and soundtrack and intro 10 minutes helped with that. Goddammit Disney.

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck Disney for not following up after Tron Legacy.

that was such a great movie and could have been the start of a great visual cinematic universe

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Um can we get Tron Legacy in 4K.

Tron Uprising was a great show too. Of course its only one season.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Damn Disney, we're in 2020 and you cancel the cyberpunk/casette futurism franchise of Tron (again)?

The Tron franchise has all the potential in the world but it just never gets properly utilised.

And they cancelled a lot of the Marvel stuff they had for Hulu. I literally just got done telling a friend they need to bring the original content. I forgot to cancel when Mando was over. Now they have the new season of clone wars. This is only reason I have for subscribing now and prior to this I don't think I signed in at all since the Mando ended.

That's more to do with Kevin Feige being hired as CCO of Marvel Entertainment and managing all Marvel television media as oppose to creative conflicts between Marvel and Hulu.