• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
mouse-guard-201221-640x320.jpg

Another victim of the Disney-Fox merger. I'm super-bummed. I love the graphic novels and their inspiration from Redwall. It sounded amazing:

Based on David Petersen's two-time Eisner winning comics and a graphic novel, Mouse Guard has been described as Game of Thrones for mice. Set in a human-free, medieval world, the comic follows the so-called "Mouse Guard," a group of mice who have sworn to protect their brethren from predators and other threats. WETA was providing the digital effects.

Only two weeks before production was set to begin and with a number of starry castings under its belt, Mouse Guard, Fox's adaptation of the Archaia/Boom! Studios comic, has been halted by Fox's new parent company, Disney.

The talent attached was incredible:

Andy Serkis, Idris Elba, Samson Kayo and Thomas Brodie-Sangster were attached to the project, with Jack Whitehall also circling a role. Motion-capture veteran Serkis was on board to play villain Midnight, a former Guard blacksmith who betrayed the order; Elba was set to take on the role of Celanawe, a former hero who was considered dead but is found; Brodie-Sangster was tapped to play Lieam, a young newbie to the Guard and Kayo was slated for Saxson, a rogue with a difficult temper. Whitehall was in talks for the role of Kenzie, a calm staff-wielder who often partners with Saxson.

The move, which went down Wednesday, The Hollywood Reporter confirmed, happens in the shadow Disney's acquisition of Fox, a deal finalized March 20.
The producers, which include Matt Reeves, Ross Ritchie and Stephen Christy, are being allowed to shop the project to other studios, sources indicated. Several studios are already interested. The project is a ready-to-go, four quadrant franchise starter from Wes Ball, the filmmaker behind the Maze Runner series, which grossed almost a billion dollars. One possible home could be Netflix, where Reeves, the filmmaker behind the acclaimed Planet of the Apes movies, has a production deal. Paramount, whose current motion picture head Wyck Godfrey was a producer on Maze Runner, is another possible contender.

Couldn't be too close to Disney's own shameless remakes, so screw something original:
Less clear are the reasons for the sudden red light. One source indicated that the production, which was to use motion capture and heavy digital effects to bring animals to life, veered too close to Disney's homegrown CGI-made fare such as The Lion King and The Jungle Book.

Source: THR

Please grab the graphic novels if you're interested.

OP
OP
BrucCLea13k87

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That artwork looks fucking dope.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
At least they're allowed to shop it around though I imagine that could mess with casting if it takes too long. Was looking forward to this.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also the premise sounds really cool

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah super bummed to hear this, especially as i was a fan of the director. I'm sure it'll get picked up tho

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see G-Force vibes radiating. Was this truly going to be a gritty games of thrones-like show but with Mice? If so that could of been cool.

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
Mouse Guard inspired me to take drawing lessons ... lasted like 4 months. Shame, would have liked to see a movie about cute mice.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I initially read the title as "Disney scraps 'Mouse Guard 2' 'weeks before production'" and was wondering how the hell I'd missed the first one.

This sucks, though. I'd never considered something like this would get made into a movie and now I'm sad to know about it and know that it's been canceled. D: Hopefully someone else picks it up.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even know I had a reason to be upset today. Damn, this would have been awesome. I loved the comics.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That 'source' seems like a load of bs thrown out there from a lack of any real information. It's all under the same umbrella and there's nothing to cross over between this property and the CGI remakes.

Still disappointing, but there was likely actual logistical issues or something BTS making it an issue.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I had never even heard of this before, and love me some Redwall. Would've absolutely found a way to get my butt into the theater for this.

Damn, Disney.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I saw the film Twitter scolds going off about this earlier. This seems like a no brainer.
haven't read the comics, but heard good things about them.

Seems shortsighted on Disney's part; hope it lands at another studio
How is it shortsighted? Throwing $170M at a movie that is basically off brand Redwall? No wonder Fox ended up selling.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the film Twitter scolds going off about this earlier. This seems like a no brainer.

How is it shortsighted? Throwing $170M at a movie that is basically off brand Redwall? No wonder Fox ended up selling.

Off brand Redwall is selling it short. The comics are their own thing, and absolutely beautiful to boot. A well made adaptation could absolutely have appealed to a large audience.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
It looks like Disney have a very specific idea of what they want from Fox (or 20th as it will apparently be known) moving forward.

Four or so films a year with a budget range (outside of future Avatar and Deadpool films) nearer the 'medium' end of things.

We knew this was coming but it's still miserable to see it come to pass.

I imagine Netflix will be all over this.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I'm halfway through but holy shit it looked amazing.

Wow, what could have been. I really loved the books.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Gary posted his full script for the movie. Doesn't look like there's any hope of it being picked up.