• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I know this wouldn't have been the final version but those faces just don't look good.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea this was in development, let alone cancelled. Looks like this would've been something really special.

Reminds me that I need to play Ghost of a Tale actually.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Those faces are actual nightmare fuel but I'm still bummed about this. Turn it into an 2D animated Disney+ series or something goddamn.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I'm not feeling it at all.
Like I think this would be better if it was traditional animation, but 3D animations just creeps me out for this kind of thing.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Never read the book so I didn't really care when I heard it got canceled but that video makes me bummed. This could've looked so goddamn good.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
flat,550x550,075,f.u9.jpg

Reminds me of South Park.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
Yeah, the designs they came up with don't look anything like the source material. Ghost of a Tale looks more Mouse Guard than this. The structures should be far simpler and mice in the books are far more abstract and cuter than.... that. Strange design decisions.

May 24, 2019
Didn't anyone read the blurb at the front of the video? This is a realtime virtual environment that you could plug performance capture into live and view on set.
The lack of fur is probably necessary to run in realtime, and I'm guessing the proportions are more human-like to view performances immediately, and they'd be re-rigged in something more mouse-like later.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if this has been mentioned, but if I recall correctly WETA Digital would have taken over production on the next stage.

Edit:

It looks like he's been posting lots of info and concept art. Losing this one really hurts; it looks so good. Some of the art is amazing.

Didn't WETA also have The Wind in the Willows get cancelled a few years back? That would've been another potentially great project.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
$170 Million budget? I woulda killed it too.

Mouse Guard is great and all, but not $170 million great.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
edit: oh. this is a very old thread.

those mice in that vid look extremely ugly though. i would never watch 2 hours of that.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Just make it an animated movie instead.

I can easily see how it was cancelled. This has bomb written over it.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
That Unreal Engine footage already looks better than Tales of Despereaux. Sad this won't get made, even if it would be a bomb (attached to the Disney name it could have succeeded, but an indie version wouldn't). One of the first books I bought my daughter. Neat to see Gary Whitta wrote it; I still think GAF did him wrong. Internet jealousy is a powerful thing.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the previs looks on par with a lot of direct to dvd animated movies, if not better. the final film would have been a visual treat

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Which is why Disney canning a $170M CG movie with mice isn't shocking.
Ah, thought you were saying otherwise. My bad.

But yea, mouse guard isn't worth that kinda risk. I'm sure people with more market Information than any of us could see came to that conclusion pretty quickly as well.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Faces of the mice too uncanny/human. should have went for cuter/more animal-like. I can see why it didn't make it past the starting gates..

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Faces of the mice too uncanny/human. should have went for cuter/more animal-like. I can see why it didn't make it past the starting gates..
that's not why it was canned though. it's only pre-vis, they weren't going to use any of the models you see in teh video

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd hope not! But even then, I have been more uncomfortable!
as much as I would love for a feature film in UE4, no one is going to commit to that. especially not at $170M. there's a reason why you never see previs, cause if you thought this was bad, most can be worse