• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It was mentioned in the original locked thread from a few nights back, they also altered tweet dates to appear recent, and supposedly there are even completely fake tweets floating around out there.
They were also touting it as proof that Gunn was a pedophile and while people may not like the tweets they sure as shit don't prove anything about him being a pedophile.

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Its evolved past that .. the status-quo is he should not have been fired as he apologised for his tweets years ago , and how its part of an alt-right agenda to dismantle liberals and those that speak out against Trump. There's another thread that is in line with a petition to have Disney re-hire him.

Thank you for the summary!!

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They were also touting it as proof that Gunn was a pedophile and while people may not like the tweets they sure as shit don't prove anything about him being a pedophile.

Oh absolutely...

Half they're game was to push him to delete tweets, and he ended up deleting 10k of them the other day, so now they can draw attention to it, make it look extra shady, then release altered and fake tweets so nobody can easily check it against the original tweets.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
You know, I've been in 'that other site' and then ERA for long, I know how a discussion goes, I've been in both fronts.

And people should have known that all this outrage and incrimination we do would bite us on our asses and take down someone who is one of our own. We go, never read the article of something, or even investigate the context and we do a hot-take. Sometimes ERA is right, the guy was a real piece of shit, but many times ERA has been wrong and we never hear apologies or anything.

Now the same outrage we use is against us, because we abused from it, and it's not only ERA, it's Twitter, Facebook, whatever. We let this happen because we abused that entitlement we had because 'guy makes x comment' without ANY CONTEXT years ago and he's a bad guy, even if that person apologized tons of times and he became a great person and an ally.

This is a lesson: Don't think you have 100% of the moral ground, hell I make the same sin of being 'holier than thou' with some guys, be in doubt, investigate, learn contexts of situations. Then give an informed post. Not a "WOW, I'M NEVER WATCHING HIS MOVIES AGAIN."

This time you, the ones defending Disney's firing, bashing him without getting informed, were wrong, and I'll stand firm on that.

Last edited:

stump sock

Oct 25, 2017
Its evolved past that .. the status-quo is he should not have been fired as he apologised for his tweets years ago , and how its part of an alt-right agenda to dismantle liberals and those that speak out against Trump. There's another thread that is in line with a petition to have Disney re-hire him.
are you claiming this isn't what happened, because this is literally what happened

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit.

You guys have lost your damn minds.

You don't get to police people's opinions or bully them as "tools" or accuse them for being part of the Alt Right just because they don't agree. And before y'all come at me with that shit, no. The fucking AltRight has me as some target for god knows why (fuck y'all for logging my posts btw, hi assholes)

So sorry I ain't a part of them either

Someone has experienced personal pain and assault and that changes people's perspectives on issues.

"This is bigger than your personal pain"

What kind of holier than thou moral liberal type shit is that? Wtf?

Truly spoken as someone who's never been fucking abused or had to deal with some traumatic shit.

You guys are going stircrazy. He's a fucking white male director. His career is far from over. He will be fine. Your damn movie will still be made.

Fucking James Gunn took this news better than y'all right now, he's the one who actually lost something here.

Shape the fuck up. Take all this energy and anger and point it at Cernovich or whoever the fuck he is. Mobilize, do a public campaign to let the world know how shitty he is.

50 fucking pages of discussion like y'all think this thread is doing anything important in this matter.
Awesome post especially the part about aiming the backlash at Cernovich/the Alt-Right instead of wasting time talking about Disney and signing pointless petitions that will achieve nothing.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Even Batista gets it. The problem isn't Gunn got fired the problem is the dudes that caused the storm. Dudes shouting down people with different opinions for whatever reason are concentrating on the wrong people

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You know, I've been in 'that other site' and then ERA for long, I know how a discussion goes, I've been in both fronts.

And people should have known that all this outrage and incrimination we do would bite us on our asses and take down someone who is one of our own. We go, never read the article of something, or even investigate the context and we do a hot-take. Sometimes ERA is right, the guy was a real piece of shit, but many times ERA has been wrong and we never hear apologies or anything.

Now the same outrage we use is against us, because we abused from it, and it's not only ERA, it's Twitter, Facebook, whatever. We let this happen because we abused that entitlement we had because 'guy makes x comment' without ANY CONTEXT years ago and he's a bad guy, even if that person apologized tons of times and he became a great person and an ally.

This is a lesson: Don't think you have 100% of the moral ground, hell I make the same sin of being 'holier than thou' with some guys, be in doubt, investigate, learn contexts of situations. Then give an informed post. Not a "WOW, I'M NEVER WATCHING HIS MOVIES AGAIN."

This time you, the ones defending Disney's firing, bashing him without getting informed, were wrong, and I'll stand firm on that.
I can still remember all the hate and abuse that one scientist got for wearing a tacky sexy women shirt his female friend designed to a televised announcement. This kind of reversal of fortunes has been building up years now and it's entirely self-inflicted.

Raiku

Oct 25, 2017
California, USHeyHey!

Great post. Digging up old shit and pretending the person is the exact same as they were all those years ago just because it makes you feel better about yourself is not novel behavior. The Affleck shit comes to mind. What the fuck was that trash. That type of behavior has fomented an environment where people feel exceedingly comfortable to participate in nuance free discussions. Hopefully people use this as a learning experience to reflect on how they engage with people online, especially when it concerns giving fellow human beings the benefit of the doubt instead of immediately portraying them as irredeemable trash for internet points. Part of me says that's asking too much though. Hopefully not. Gunn will be just fine no matter what. And I don't really have a horse in the race because I don't really fuck with superhero movies like that. He's handled the situation with absolute class as far as I'm concerned, which is much more than Cernovich deserves.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Going "he's a white male, he'll be fine" is pretty damn naive. Do you honestly think they won't use these tactics on women, lgbt, and poc? Because they just proved that they can take down a major director with this.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Going "he's a white male, he'll be fine" is pretty damn naive. Do you honestly think they won't use these tactics on women, lgbt, and poc? Because they just proved that they can take down a major director with this.

If you think about it, him being a white male actually makes it worse. They took down someone with the biggest privilege, someone who's one of the biggest cash cows for Disney. Now imagine how empored they feel over Women and PoC. This is gonna be nasty.

And if you think they need real evidence, you're in for a rude awakening.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I can still remember all the hate and abuse that one scientist got for wearing a tacky sexy women shirt his female friend designed to a televised announcement. This kind of reversal of fortunes has been building up years now and it's entirely self-inflicted.

You guys haven't paid much attention to history if you think this is new or the fault of the left (or any one side of the political spectrum, for that matter). There was no buildup. What Cernovich did is the exact same thing that GamerGate did and has continued to do to numerous people ever since it was given a name 4 years ago. Before GamerGate, Gawker liked to dig shit up. Before Gawker, it was politicians and yellow journalists, all the way back to Washington's time.

Self-flagellation within the left is what the alt-right wants to see. Too bad it seems to be working.

Firefoxprime

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
looking forward to the sexist double standards as the people who defended the firing of jessica price get outraged over this firing

I actually had no prior knowledge of the Jessica Price situation. I just read about it, and I disagree with their removal from the company. I also disagree with Jessica's behavior towards that guy on twitter. Everything she said was TRUE, but its all about how you present your concerns in a disscussion. She took what he said to heart and lashed out, BUT there's concrete reason as to "why" she was so aggressive. Sexism is real.

Anyways, the James Gunn tweets were bad. Like real bad. Yet I wouldn't want to have my 9 year old actions plastered on my forehead. The question is, am I a better person from then? Has my humor, world view changed? Stuff like that.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yep

It's pretty funny to see people get preachy about respecting other people's "opinions" when followed up with "fuck that rich white dude." The same people who went after Gunn also go after not rich not white not dudes and will continue to do so with even more vigor now that they have the co-sign of the superwoke

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
If you think about it, him being a white male actually makes it worse. They took down someone with the biggest privilege, someone who's one of the biggest cash cows for Disney. Now imagine how empored they feel over Women and PoC. This is gonna be nasty.

And if you think they need real evidence, you're in for a rude awakening.

This has literally already been happening, spearheaded by the exact same people, for years now, so it's very interesting to see all the people going "Woah... if they can hurt a white guy, think about what that means they can do to women and people of color."

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I'm not 100% sure how I feel about all this but I'm ten billion% certain that Cernovich and the overall alt-right do not give a single fuck about children, pedophilia, bad taste jokes, etc., and they will defend this sort of shit and ten times worse in the name of free speech when it comes from one of their own cretins.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not 100% sure how I feel about all this but I'm ten billion% certain that Cernovich and the overall alt-right do not give a single fuck about children, pedophilia, bad taste jokes, etc., and they will defend this sort of shit and ten times worse in the name of free speech when it comes from one of their own cretins.

Of course. They've done it in the past. They revel in disinformation, lies, and mental gymnastics of all kinds.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This has literally already been happening, spearheaded by the exact same people, for years now, so it's very interesting to see all the people going "Woah... if they can hurt a white guy, think about what that means they can do to women and people of color."

"This has already been happening" - Bullshit, they haven't taken anyone of this calibre down before. They failed against every target with Gamergate and other hate campaigns.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"This has already been happening" - Bullshit, they haven't taken anyone of this calibre down before. They failed against every target with Gamergate and other hate campaigns.
No they haven't. They just got a prominent and outspoken woman writer fired from GW2. Capitalizing on one slip up. They don't all have to be big targets. The smaller ones are more important anyway, because they'll slip through the cracks.

Thunder

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Holy shit.

You guys have lost your damn minds.

You don't get to police people's opinions or bully them as "tools" or accuse them for being part of the Alt Right just because they don't agree. And before y'all come at me with that shit, no. The fucking AltRight has me as some target for god knows why (fuck y'all for logging my posts btw, hi assholes)

So sorry I ain't a part of them either

Someone has experienced personal pain and assault and that changes people's perspectives on issues.

"This is bigger than your personal pain"

What kind of holier than thou moral liberal type shit is that? Wtf?

Truly spoken as someone who's never been fucking abused or had to deal with some traumatic shit.

You guys are going stircrazy. He's a fucking white male director. His career is far from over. He will be fine. Your damn movie will still be made.

Fucking James Gunn took this news better than y'all right now, he's the one who actually lost something here.

Shape the fuck up. Take all this energy and anger and point it at Cernovich or whoever the fuck he is. Mobilize, do a public campaign to let the world know how shitty he is.

50 fucking pages of discussion like y'all think this thread is doing anything important in this matter.

3f2.jpeg

Best post this 100+ page thread has to offer

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No they haven't. They just got a prominent and outspoken woman writer fired from GW2. Capitalizing on one slip up. They don't all have to be big targets. The smaller ones are more important anyway, because they'll slip through the cracks.

I've not seen anything about that GW2 case, so I can't exactly say much about it, but from what I understand this is just as recent as Gunn.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017

You're acting like this hasn't been on going for years. It ain't new for women, lgbtq, and poc. But some people finally seem to pay attention now that it's reached this point.

Yup.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017

Interesting how? What are you saying? I'm not so naive to think they haven't been doing this for years, but such a high profile victory emboldening them is in no way a good thing. I'm fully aware that white men are still less likely to be targeted by this kind of harassment, but emboldening these people to such a significant degree is going to have nothing but bad results across the board, and more disadvantaged people are now even less safe. Writing off them going after people who are privileged because they have a windfall misses the point on account that going after high powered targets increases their influence.

It's not a matter of "not even the poor white people are safe", it's more that handing these people major victories is categorically a bad thing on top of the simple morality that this shouldn't be allowed to happen to anyone.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

While it's true that Gunn is the alt-right's biggest takedown, you're completely wrong on the bolded. GamerGate got a Nintendo employee fired in part by using accusations of pedophilia.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Selma Blair Calls On Disney's Marvel To Rehire James Gunn: "This Man Is One Of The Good Ones"

In the first of two tweets Saturday (see them below), Blair said: "@JamesGunn I thank you for your talent, your decency and your evolution as a man. You propped me up when I was in a scary place, and guided me towards the decent and right thing to do. You have shown strength of character more than most anyone I know. You understood."

When Blair was weighing the decision to share her claims about Toback harassing her 19 years ago, she credited Gunn and Doctor Strange writer-director Scott Derrickson as two men who "reached out and said how important it was to be on this side of history," the Hellboy actress told THR.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/james-...ans-of-the-galaxy-director-rehire-1202431478/

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The irony of all this to me is that this is the same life lesson that gets drilled into alot of black people in the workforce. All my black posters who read this will get flashbacks to momma saying "Don't give them an inch. Don't give them any reason or any issue that they can use against you, because they will"

This is shit we deal with and live with essentially for our liftimes. Having to be damn near perfect so that small insignificant shit can't be weaponized against us. The shit is unfair as hell.

And now y'all have a small example of that to see here.
This is a bad thing though, yeah? It's a good example of it, but it's still wrong.