• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I agree she shouldn't be attacked. No one should be harassing or bullying her, especially if she simply thinks Gunn should have been fired.

But if you "fall for the alt-right narrative" that there is a secret obsession with pedophilia in Hollywood because of the Gunn situation, part of that is on you. And spreading that idea is dangerous.

Well, we do know that there's plenty of pedophiles in Hollywood. Thing just is... they're all keeping their jobs, or dying before they face consequences.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Do I believe Gunn is a paedo? Nope
Do I believe Hollywood is full of paedos? Yes
Was going to say the same. We're coming off a year of metoo with the likes of CK, Weinstien, Morgan, Goddard, Spacey, and more, with many getting underage hit against them as well.

It not so much of a conspiracy by the alt right. More them just latching on to a current present issue.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Well, we do know that there's plenty of pedophiles in Hollywood. Thing just is... they're all keeping their jobs, or dying before they face consequences.

There are pedophiles in every industry, whether it's entertainment or some guy who works at CVS up the street form you.

Saying Hollywood is "full" of pedophiles feeds into conspiracy theories like Pizzagate.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It would be a strong statement if they gave Gunn a second chance and said people do change. He did a bad thing but he isnt that person anymore. Wonder if the mouse has the balls.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Here comes the negative PR, biggie Deadline weighs in:

https://deadline.com/2018/07/chris-...&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

uardians of the Galaxy franchise stars Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana and Karen Gillan are the latest to speak out amid the fallout from the firing of James Gunn as director of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. In a rather cryptic tweet that did not mention Gunn by name or the controversy but believed by many fans to be directed at Gunn's ouster, Pratt wrote, "'Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters. Let every person be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger.' JAMES 1:19." The message was followed by prayer hands and a heart emoJi

Headline:

Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Karen Gillan Speak Out Amid James Gunn Fallout; Petition To Rehire 'Guardians' Director Gains Steam

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
There are pedophiles in every industry, whether it's entertainment or some guy who works at CVS up the street form you.

Saying Hollywood is "full" of pedophiles feeds into conspiracy theories like Pizzagate.

The problem is people in this industry protect pedos, or people are willing to look the other way because they fear for their own career. This isn't a problem AT fucking CVS.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Cheadle is always so on point. <3

I also agree with you, it's not a conspiracy theory, it's business as usual out there. Hollywood is especially geared toward this

Throwing Gunn in front of the pedo-bus is the conspiracy, since they were talking about Gunn, obviously people are saying they're buying into the Alt-Right propaganda.

Know who supports and protects actual Pedos? The Alt-Right. Them calling ANYONE a Pedo should be a huge red flag on its own.

Looks like he is getting tired of this situation and leaving twitter as well.

I love this man.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The problem is people in this industry protect pedos, or people are willing to look the other way because they fear for their own career. This isn't a problem AT fucking CVS.

This is completely valid and worth discussing, though we shouldn't go too off topic.

But Lexi's tweet was not talking about the intricacies of Hollywood's problems. And the alt-right doesn't care about that either. Her tweet was questioning if Gunn's jokes are proof of pedophiles being all over Hollywood and his jokes are of course are not proof of anything.

And the alt-right isn't talking about those protecting others for fear of their own careers. They believe that the majority of Hollywood are having sex with children. That's literally what they believe and the idea that they push.

That's my point. No one should have been harassing Lexi on Twitter. But it wasn't as simple as "she said Gunn should be fired" either. She repeated alt-right nonsense under a "just asking questions" guise.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Hollywood being fertile ground for pedophiles to prey on innocent children isn't an alt-right conspiracy. It's the truth. There have been documentaries about it, there have been multiple reports from victims. Industry people like Seth McFarlane have not-so-subtly hinted at it. And yet people like Kevin Spacey and Bryan Singer get to walk away with barely a slap on the wrist. Polanski gets a standing ovation and hundreds of actors signing letters of support. Hollywood is disgusting.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hollywood's full of predators because vulnerable people come from all around the world with hopes of making it big. That's no alt-right conspiracy.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Do I believe Gunn is a paedo? Nope
Do I believe Hollywood is full of paedos? Yes

Sure. But talking about it now, in this context, helps the alt right co-opt concerns about this very real problem to take the focus away from actual abusers and point it toward people who make bad jokes.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
You just have to look at how the British entertainment industry dealt with this shit. Or, eh, didn't, given that one of our worst, most notorious sex offenders - so brazen he'd brag about it while still alive - wasn't properly investigated until he was dead (at which point it was revealed he was far, far worse than even his creeper reputation suggested, even going so far as to dabble in necrophilia).

I don't doubt Hollywood hides equal monstrosities.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
My problem is we have people here that want to silence any discussion on pedophilia in hollywood because it might taint your favorite industry with things you don't want to acknowledge. I mean, we wouldn't have to discuss pedophilia if james gunn didn't make multiple tweets about sex acts with children. When i point this out i'm ALTRIGHT. Hollywood is rampant with sexual abuse, this is not a conspiracy. And no i dont think james gunn is a pedo.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Hollywood's full of predators because vulnerable people come from all around the world with hopes of making it big. That's no alt-right conspiracy.

Exactly. Which is why so many Hollywood people and comedians making jokes about the issue is in extremely bad taste. Unless you make them with the purpose of exposing these people like McFarlane did.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You just have to look at how the British entertainment industry dealt with this shit. Or, eh, didn't, given that one of our worst, most notorious sex offenders - so brazen he'd brag about it while still alive - wasn't properly investigated until he was dead (at which point it was revealed he was far, far worse than even his creeper reputation suggested, even going so far as to dabble in necrophilia).

I don't doubt Hollywood hides equal monstrosities.

who

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Don't forget the Catholic Church.

Sure, but they're not involved in this shit here right now.

Hollywood being fertile ground for pedophiles to prey on innocent children isn't an alt-right conspiracy. It's the truth. There have been documentaries about it, there have been multiple reports from victims. Industry people like Seth McFarlane have not-so-subtly hinted at it. And yet people like Kevin Spacey and Bryan Singer get to walk away with barely a slap on the wrist. Polanski gets a standing ovation and hundreds of actors signing letters of support. Hollywood is disgusting.

Again, context. She called people supporting Gunn an indicator for "Hollywood being cool with pedophilia" - That's trying to turn every single supporter into an advocate of pedophilia, that's a fucked up statement to make.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
The alt right isn't interested in catching the actual predators. In many ways it feels like they are using sexual assault as the thing they try to oust people with in the hopes that, even if their targets aren't hurt, onlookers are less likely to believe the next real accusation because well now it's been proven that people really do just make this shit up.

Cernovich in particular would not care if the end result is people are more skeptical when someone is accused of sexually abusing another person.

Oct 27, 2017
My problem is we have people here that want to silence any discussion on pedophilia in hollywood because it might taint your favorite industry with things you don't want to acknowledge. I mean, we wouldn't have to discuss pedophilia if james gunn didn't make multiple tweets about sex acts with children. When i point this out i'm ALTRIGHT. Hollywood is rampant with sexual abuse, this is not a conspiracy. And no i dont think james gunn is a pedo.

Nobody is trying to silence a discussion about pedophilia in Hollywood because this topic has nothing to do with pedophilia in Hollywood. James Gunn isn't a pedophile. The campaign against him has nothing to do with trying to expose pedophiles. You're being naive and falling directly into their false narrative. They are using the known fact that there Hollywood has this problem and leveraging these out of context edgy humor to rile people like you up so they can silence anyone trying to speak against Trump.

Oct 27, 2017
MeToo existed to give a voice to those who previously didn't have one. It took power away from the powerful who used it to do horrible things. These fucks are harnessing the same sentiments and turning it around on people who haven't actually done anything wrong beyond being offensive. They want you to think this is the same story, but it's not.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Legitimate question because I honestly feel like I'm taking crazy pills regarding this story:

At your current job, if you had a twitter account with the same jokes that Gunn had, and a coworker printed the tweets out and passed them around the office and ultimately gave them to your boss, would you be fired?

Maybe it's because I work in a more conservative industry (law), but in my head I'm thinking pretty much every job I can think of would probably fire someone where this situation came out. And even in a scenario where they hired the person some years ago knowing about the tweets, if they resurfaced in an office with employees who hadn't known about the tweets, they would have pressure from their own employees to fire you. (Or for example if the tweets went around locally on social media and customers started calling/e-mailing the higher ups to complain about you)

Am I totally off base in this? That's the main reason I'm so dumbfounded by the positions that A LOT of people are taking here and on twitter/media outlets that Gunn should not have been fired for those tweets, it just seems like such a slam dunk firing in any professional context I can think of.

***I'm not trying to start shit, I really am wondering if my position is completely crazy because enough people are defending this guy to the point where I have to question my own position.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Bolded reminds me of the reaction to child rape in the Catholic church

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Legitimate question because I honestly feel like I'm taking crazy pills regarding this story:

At your current job, if you had a twitter account with the same jokes that Gunn had, and a coworker printed the tweets out and passed them around the office and ultimately gave them to your boss, would you be fired?

Maybe it's because I work in a more conservative industry (law), but in my head I'm thinking pretty much every job I can think of would probably fire someone where this situation came out. And even in a scenario where they hired the person some years ago knowing about the tweets, if they resurfaced in an office with employees who hadn't known about the tweets, they would have pressure from their own employees to fire you. (Or for example if the tweets went around locally on social media and customers started calling/e-mailing the higher ups to complain about you)

Am I totally off base in this? That's the main reason I'm so dumbfounded by the positions that A LOT of people are taking here and on twitter/media outlets that Gunn should not have been fired for those tweets, it just seems like such a slam dunk firing in any professional context I can think of.

***I'm not trying to start shit, I really am wondering if my position is completely crazy because enough people are defending this guy to the point where I have to question my own position.

You're basically saying these people can never work again though. Redemption be damned.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really bummed out by the cast response to this incident. It's actually worse for me than Gunn getting fired. What the people behind outrages like this one are managing to do is discover a new kind of censorship, one that is created by a few but then spread by the masses, without even realizing it. People join the outrage thinking they're doing something good and in, I assume, good faith, but they're just being used as pawns.

The cast's response has been so vague and free of any concrete emotion towards James that it shows me that they're all scared, scared of saying something that might cost them their job or fandom. It's plain censorship and psychological abuse through social media. And it will only grow from here, famous people will start deleting past jokes, then accounts (like Harmon just did), then stop saying what goes through their minds altogether. Should they always say what goes through their minds? No. But they should have the right to do it.

Where I'm from we're lead to believe that there are no limits to humor and everything goes. Of course this leads to some vary bad jokes and many offensive ones, but they're not evil in their core. And I would never think badly of the humorists themselves for the jokes they do.

Firing him on the basis of 6 year-old tweets shows me Disney has no backbone and that there's no emotion when it comes to franchise movie-making. They can show us photos of all the MCU cast looking jolly for the 10y celebration, but in the end they're all disposable. It also removes the right to grow as people from these artists (you're always growing as a person and individual, whether you're 8 or 80) and the right to experimentation and free speech.
And then you have the president of the USA straight out threatening another country on twitter and it's fair game.

Oh well, at the end of the day there are much worse things happening in the world than James Gunn being fired, and I'm not even a big fan of the guy (as a director), it's just a minor thing that to me means that the dark times can only get darker.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
FWIW I disagree with Gunn's firing because those tweets were old and a known quantity. But Disney's gonna Disney.

I had never heard about them. My opinion is that he should have never been hired by Disney but since he did, they could have stuck with him. However, I fully understand why they wanted to get ahead of a potential PR nightmare. To be honest, if I was calling the shots at Disney I would have done the same.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

While it's true this applies to Hollywood, it also applies to any industry where there are a large group of people treated as being more important or powerful, ie the music industry (including rockstars and groupies), religion, or politics.

The vast majority of Hollywood, just like society, are not pedophiles or predators. For the couple dozen or so people you've heard about doing this kind of heinous shit think about the thousands you don't hear about.