• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
I could've sworn someone ITT or the Gunn petition thread said they were confident that Gunn would be rehired by today.

But I'm probably mistaken.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Update - from Pratt's instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl3OVfeF8Dc/

37768678_1801530399901312_881332846826881024_n.jpg

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure of the logic in quitting Twitter and going to other social media platforms. Twitter didn't cause this to happen.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure of the logic in quitting Twitter and going to other social media platforms. Twitter didn't cause this to happen.

They didn't, but Twitter has shown an unwillingness to do anything to mitigate it.

Neither has other platforms, though? But maybe people actually leaving the platform will force them to actually make a change.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's worth a new thread, also mentioning that Pratt says he'd like to see him reinstated on his instagram.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's because Twitter allows certain characters and movements to persist even in the face of overwhelming evidence of abuse and harassment

This, no one is leaving twitter cause twitter made them say these things. They're leaving twitter because it's failing to do anything to prevent these trolls.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't, but Twitter has shown an unwillingness to do anything to mitigate it.

Neither has other platforms, though? But maybe people actually leaving the platform will force them to actually make a change.

I think it's because Twitter allows certain characters and movements to persist even in the face of overwhelming evidence of abuse and harassment

I mean, Gunn made the posts....if anything, it's to Twitter's merit that they didn't delete the messages, I guess in the name of free speech. The problem is, it's a two way street, which is probably why you still have alt-right idiots on the platform who still play by their rules.

But I don't think these actors are quitting because of alt-right, are they?

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Gunn made the posts....if anything, it's to Twitter's merit that they didn't delete the messages, I guess in the name of free speech. The problem is, it's a two way street, which is probably why you still have alt-right idiots on the platform who still play by their rules.

But I don't think these actors are quitting because of alt-right, are they?

They are wanting to quit because there's a whole shadow "reporting" industry from willfully misinterpreting / removing tweets from context and then getting outraged by it and writing "thinkpieces" about how some random manipulated comment missing context speaks about some large societal issue that is Very Important. Basically, a bunch of websites are trying to keep themselves going by fomenting outrage via Twitter and then writing about it, and they believe (rightfully?) that a no character limit medium would make it harder to pull that stuff out of context (and is much easier to manage than twitter in terms of removing old forgotten things)

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are wanting to quit because there's a whole shadow "reporting" industry from willfully misinterpreting / removing tweets from context and then getting outraged by it and writing "thinkpieces" about how some random manipulated comment missing context speaks about some large societal issue that is Very Important. Basically, a bunch of websites are trying to keep themselves going by fomenting outrage via Twitter and then writing about it, and they believe (rightfully?) that a no character limit medium would make it harder to pull that stuff out of context (and is much easier to manage than twitter in terms of removing old forgotten things)

Ah, okay, that's a good explanation. Thank you.

IPSF

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Legitimate question because I honestly feel like I'm taking crazy pills regarding this story:

At your current job, if you had a twitter account with the same jokes that Gunn had, and a coworker printed the tweets out and passed them around the office and ultimately gave them to your boss, would you be fired?

Maybe it's because I work in a more conservative industry (law), but in my head I'm thinking pretty much every job I can think of would probably fire someone where this situation came out. And even in a scenario where they hired the person some years ago knowing about the tweets, if they resurfaced in an office with employees who hadn't known about the tweets, they would have pressure from their own employees to fire you. (Or for example if the tweets went around locally on social media and customers started calling/e-mailing the higher ups to complain about you)

Am I totally off base in this? That's the main reason I'm so dumbfounded by the positions that A LOT of people are taking here and on twitter/media outlets that Gunn should not have been fired for those tweets, it just seems like such a slam dunk firing in any professional context I can think of.

***I'm not trying to start shit, I really am wondering if my position is completely crazy because enough people are defending this guy to the point where I have to question my own position.

Honestly? The guy randomly printing off tweets and passing them round would be fired first. No one would give a shit, my boss would probably find it funny and even if he didn't as long as it doesn't impact my ability to do my job why would he care?

But it's a silly question because neither of us are in Gunns industry.