• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
The conversation is recycling so I'll recycle some of my thoughts.

We're seeing "but if the other side!" again. The difference is that the people taken down on the "other side" in recent memory (Roseanne, O'Reilly, etc) were doing active harm. Yesterday, today, tomorrow, with no plan to stop. They were stopped (to the degree that they can be).

Gunn did some harm once, as "jokes" (terrible ones), and stopped himself. Then he put in the time to prove it was a genuine move.

There's nothing to "stop" from him. By all accounts he is awesome to everybody that he can be now. That's what we want from all of them, right? It's not about "punishment" or "consequences", it's about positive change, which we already have from him.

No, the people glad about this just want to call him a pedophile.

They have 0 interest in think one second more about this situation.

Oct 30, 2017
Article says another actor in Marvel movies (outside of Guardians) is upset too. David Dastmalchian (who plays Kurt in the Ant-Man films) is also defending Gunn. Would love to see this trend continue.

I mean someone has to to show the optics irony of Disney essentially bowing to the wims of neo-nazi rapist and pedophiles right? They can't be this in the dark at what they just did.

Nov 30, 2017
It's crazy how James Gunn is fried for making jokes but Bryan Singer is still a producer on X-Men films and would continue to be had Disney not purchased FOX

I'm guessing because he never spoke out about Trump.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yup sometimes people can be assholes, sometimes people can say fucked up things. Many people do, people change,maybe not all but many do.

Judge a person for how they are now, not how they were years ago.

Exactly. That's all we've been saying for pages upon pages upon pages... It seems like that mindset has fallen out of favour with a lot of people. :/

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Article says another actor in Marvel movies (outside of Guardians) is upset too. David Dastmalchian (who plays Kurt in the Ant-Man films) is also defending Gunn. Would love to see this trend continue.

If Pratt and Saldana step up he's going to be rehired.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually taken aback by how classy and contrite his response to all this has been, especially given that he's paying for the mistake twice.

You have to be, as they're still your mistakes to own, but yes, it's good that he sticks by acknowledging his past even if it was complete cretins that are feigning outrage over it this time. Cernovich doesn't have a leg to stand on to play moral crusader.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/DanaSchwartzzz/status/1020742031239348224

James Gunn gets fired but Johnny Depp gets brought out on stage in Hall H
1f928.png
1f928.png
1f928.png
1f928.png
1f928.png

How does WB justify employing him when Aquaman stars Amber Heard.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Johnny Depp and Josh Brolin being major Disney stars is nothing short of hypocrisy if Gunn's transgressions are unacceptable. There's literally no way to argue otherwise.

OP
OP
Sibersk Esto

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017

Branu

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
They are going after Patton Oswalt now.

In case you've forgotten, Patton Oswalt directed a tirade towards the people who criticized the donations made to the family of that boy who was supposedly bullied by classmates and whose tearful response was filmed and used to scam the public by his KKK and Trump supporting mother.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
Things I believe that I believe more people in this thread believe than people still arguing with said people in this thread believe believe:

1. Most people in this thread willing to forgive Gunn do so because he has apologized for the abhorrent material years ago (at least 6) and has stopped crossing the same line ever since. That a few may be primarily concerned with the future of a movie doesn't diminish this.

2. It's possible, even likely, that Gunn's career exploding into the mainstream influenced his decision to knock it off with the offensive jokes and to apologize for them. This doesn't automatically make his apology insincere, especially since his efforts to do better have demonstrably paid off.

3. There's little doubt that Mike Cernovich doesn't actually care about the offensiveness of Gunn's material. He just wanted to take down an outspoken liberal who was shittalking Ben Shapiro, and finds pleasure in doing it with what he perceives are 'the methods of the left' (PCness running amuck; outrage culture). Cernovich is arguing in bad faith and in fact pretty much admits to it. He's already moved on to targeting Patton Oswalt and Michael Ian Black.

4. Ted Cruz, who endorsed Roy Moore, is also a huge hypocrite, using selective outrage to pander to his base. Also, his insinuation that Gunn may be an actual pedofile and rapist with just these tweets as evidence is beyond the pale.

5. Disney very likely knew about these tweets in 2012 and kept Gunn on anyway. The matter wasn't probably discussed and Gunn was forgiven. So it feels wrong that Disney now changes gears, especially in response to downright gleeful faux outrage from alt right trolls arguing in bad faith.

6. Disney is, however, a huge company with strong, family friendly branding that could hardly be further removed from the content of those tweets. The firing of Gunn (ha) may not feel entirely 'right', but it was understandable. Certainly predictable.

7. The tweets are, mostly, highly offensive and should rightly be disowned. Gunn should deleted them. To his credit, in his latest statement he has shown contrition and understanding of his firing.

8. The polarization of US/Western culture certainly plays a part and this is lamentable. One would hope that, if a mirror image of this situation happened to, say, Chris Wallace, we'd largely occupy the same positions. Still, one side of the aisle is more likely to argue in bad faith. Roy Moore, Darla Shine, Donald Trump — none of them were held accountable or got as much as a reprimand from most members of their own 'tribe'. The same cannot be said about Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey or Al Franken.

9. What Gunn did was bad, but nowhere near as bad as what any of the people in point #8 have said or done. It can also easily be argued that Cernovich and Shapiro have done worse things than Gunn.

10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is the best Marvel movie don't @ me.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
What else would you call it? The outcry against Depp wasn't small, and is still ongoing.
Gunn being fired doesn't mean there needs to be consistency across the board. Yeah, call out the hypocrisy and inconsistency in the industry but the answer is those don't matter. It isn't an argument to get him back. You can try shaming the studios with that logic but it'll be shrugged off.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well, I guess we'll see the careers of everyone who ever told the Aristocrats joke end this year.

Gunn being fired doesn't mean there needs to be consistency across the board. Yeah, call out the hypocrisy and inconsistency in the industry but the answer is those don't matter. It isn't an argument to get him back. You can try shaming the studios with that logic but it'll be shrugged off.

Well, in my book a lack of consistency, especially considering that the people they still employ are guilty of actual crimes while Gunn isn't, would be hipocrisy.

It's not a good way to get him back, obviously, but at this point nothing really is. The only way to get him back would be his colleagues and Marvel Studios standing up for him.

IMO it's just a major slap in the face that Depp gets to stay after we raised so much awareness on the things he's done, but actual Nazis manage to get a double jeopardy in on Gunn for jokes.

It's like... the fuck are we even fighting for?

Deleted member 21380

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Well, I guess we'll see the careers of everyone who ever told the Aristocrats joke end this year.

Oh it's getting better, people are now pulling intros to Troma movies and Tromaville interviews to prove that he sacrificed children to Satan.

Only a matter of time before someone "discovers" he was once near a Clinton and we're full on back to pizzagate.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
In case you've forgotten, Patton Oswalt directed a tirade towards the people who criticized the donations made to the family of that boy who was supposedly bullied by classmates and whose tearful response was filmed and used to scam the public by his KKK and Trump supporting mother.

That's dumb, but so?

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017

Well, in my book a lack of consistency, especially considering that the people they still employ are guilty of actual crimes while Gunn isn't, would be hipocrisy in my book.

It's not a good way to get him back, obviously, but at this point nothing really is. The only way to get him back would be his colleagues and Marvel Studios standing up for him.

IMO it's just a major slap in the face that Depp gets to stay after we raised so much awareness on the things he's done, but actual Nazis manage to get a double jeopardy in on Gunn for jokes.

It's like... the fuck are we even fighting for?

Disney to hire James Gunn for an Aristocats x Aristocrats crossover

Oct 30, 2017
Like, it's not difficult to confirm if someone on Twitter is a piece of shit. Just scan 5-6 of their most recent tweets, and that definitely gives all the context needed. I can see how someone unfamiliar with James Gunn who views these tweets in a vacuum would agree that he should have gotten fired, but Disney should have known better and they have context. Like, you can conclude that Cernovich and other alt-righters are pieces of shit by spending 30 seconds browsing their latest tweets. Not so with Gunn, but I guess that's utterly irrelevant.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
After sleeping on this my thoughts:
Yeah it was pretty bullshit of Disney to fire him. Sure the tweets were pretty tasteless but it's even worse that Disney didn't even do research on Cernovich but firing Gunn. If they had, they would've realized this was just a political hit. Also as multiple others have said, those tweets were public for years so why now did they fire Gunn? This also sets a horrific precedent that anyone who tries to make anti-Trump tweets can be attacked by alt-right mobs and those mobs can win. Such bullshit.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Why does America have higher standards for its movie directors than it does for its president?

Oct 25, 2017
After sleeping on this my thoughts:
Yeah it was pretty bullshit of Disney to fire him. Sure the tweets were pretty tasteless but it's even worse that Disney didn't even do research on Cernovich but firing Gunn. If they had, they would've realized this was just a political hit. Also as multiple others have said, those tweets were public for years so why now did they fire Gunn? This also sets a horrific precedent that anyone who tries to make anti-Trump tweets can be attacked by alt-right mobs and those mobs can win. Such bullshit.

I mean on the flip-side of that, anyone who hasn't made rape jokes (or worse) on Twitter presumably can't successfully be attacked like this, and the backlash toward the company would be a lot more severe.

...oooooooooon the other hand we have people on this forum actively defending ArenaNet's actions so there might be a serving of crow waiting for me on that assumption.

Why does America have higher standards for its movie directors than it does for its president?

One would hope that Disney would have fired Trump a long time ago if they were in a position to do so.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Things I believe that I believe more people in this thread believe than people still arguing with said people in this thread believe believe:

1. Most people in this thread willing to forgive Gunn do so because he has apologized for the abhorrent material years ago (at least 6) and has stopped crossing the same line ever since. That a few may be primarily concerned with the future of a movie doesn't diminish this.

2. It's possible, even likely, that Gunn's career exploding into the mainstream influenced his decision to knock it off with the offensive jokes and to apologize for them. This doesn't automatically make his apology insincere, especially since his efforts to do better have demonstrably paid off.

3. There's little doubt that Mike Cernovich doesn't actually care about the offensiveness of Gunn's material. He just wanted to take down an outspoken liberal who was shittalking Ben Shapiro, and finds pleasure in doing it with what he perceives are 'the methods of the left' (PCness running amuck; outrage culture). Cernovich is arguing in bad faith and in fact pretty much admits to it. He's already moved on to targeting Patton Oswalt and Michael Ian Black.

4. Ted Cruz, who endorsed Roy Moore, is also a huge hypocrite, using selective outrage to pander to his base. Also, his insinuation that Gunn may be an actual pedofile and rapist with just these tweets as evidence is beyond the pale.

5. Disney very likely knew about these tweets in 2012 and kept Gunn on anyway. The matter wasn't probably discussed and Gunn was forgiven. So it feels wrong that Disney now changes gears, especially in response to downright gleeful faux outrage from alt right trolls arguing in bad faith.

6. Disney is, however, a huge company with strong, family friendly branding that could hardly be further removed from the content of those tweets. The firing of Gunn (ha) may not feel entirely 'right', but it was understandable. Certainly predictable.

7. The tweets are, mostly, highly offensive and should rightly be disowned. Gunn should deleted them. To his credit, in his latest statement he has shown contrition and understanding of his firing.

8. The polarization of US/Western culture certainly plays a part and this is lamentable. One would hope that, if a mirror image of this situation happened to, say, Chris Wallace, we'd largely occupy the same positions. Still, one side of the aisle is more likely to argue in bad faith. Roy Moore, Darla Shine, Donald Trump — none of them were held accountable or got as much as a reprimand from most members of their own 'tribe'. The same cannot be said about Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey or Al Franken.

9. What Gunn did was bad, but nowhere near as bad as what any of the people in point #8 have said or done. It can also easily be argued that Cernovich and Shapiro have done worse things than Gunn.

10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is the best Marvel movie don't @ me.
Great post. Nothing else needs to be said, really.