• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Right now, with the backlash from most prominent leftists? I don't see anyone wanting to touch Guardians without Gunn.

I'm certainly not buying tickets to see it in theatres if they do it without him.
If Gunn gave Taika his blessing, that might do it. But in two weeks, when this dies down, it wouldn't surprise me if Gunn engages in talks to return. That may be wishful thinking, but it's getting me through right now.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Honestly, them going after Patton this early? Might actually be a good case for Disney to take a step back and reconsider.

If Gunn gave Taika his blessing, that might do it. But in two weeks, when this dies down, it wouldn't surprise me if Gunn engages in talks to return. That may be wishful thinking, but it's getting me through right now.

I'm pretty certain he's out for good. I don't have a lot of faith in the world right now to be honest.

thatother

Dec 12, 2017
I think realistically Taika is probably coming back to do another Thor movie if anything. I doubt he'd touch Guardians. I doubt anybody would be clamoring to at this point

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There is no way in hell that's happening. Disney backing down on the decision is far worst than them never doing anything at all.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Taika would accept replace Gunn.

I think it's going to be more challenging than most would think to find somebody to replace him. He's well liked in the filmmaking community and I think a lot of people would feel uncomfortable taking his job. Their best bet is probably a young up and comer.

Gunn would probably tell people to take the job and not worry about it though, which would help. He's seemed very understanding about the whole situation.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017

Now Gorilla Shithead, Mike Cernovich, is going after Michael Ian Black.

So thanks Disney for legitimizing Cernovich...didn't they watch what he did when he duped MSNBC in firing Sam Seder?

Also that Boogie tweet is just pure shit...like almost 99% of everything that comes out his mouth and fingertips.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It gets better

and the fact this has to be explained 5 years on

the fact that the person who did the explaining knows it's obviously a joke but still felt the need to say it's not a good tweet because of how things are perceived makes it feel like there's a good chance that innocuous jokes like that might be enough to fuck your career.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
wait I'm sorry but no, jokes are not only jokes they work as a way to legitimatize behavior and normalize it, misogyny got where it got because of the blind eye of the normalization, driven in many ways by jokes.

Those "jokes" affect society much more than you think.
so you think someone should be continually punished for something they did ~10 years ago, for which they apologized for ~6 years ago and haven't done since?

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.

Hasn't it been said a few times now that Taika is really busy right now and Guardians was (rumored) supposed to start filming this year? Also I don't think Gunn is coming back. I really want him to but I doubt it. Agents probably bombarding marvel with phone calls to get their director's in. They probably already have a short list. It's gonna be decided by next Monday I bet. Unless something crazy happens like a major cast member leaves.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Things I believe that I believe more people in this thread believe than people still arguing with said people in this thread believe believe:

1. Most people in this thread willing to forgive Gunn do so because he has apologized for the abhorrent material years ago (at least 6) and has stopped crossing the same line ever since. That a few may be primarily concerned with the future of a movie doesn't diminish this.

2. It's possible, even likely, that Gunn's career exploding into the mainstream influenced his decision to knock it off with the offensive jokes and to apologize for them. This doesn't automatically make his apology insincere, especially since his efforts to do better have demonstrably paid off.

3. There's little doubt that Mike Cernovich doesn't actually care about the offensiveness of Gunn's material. He just wanted to take down an outspoken liberal who was shittalking Ben Shapiro, and finds pleasure in doing it with what he perceives are 'the methods of the left' (PCness running amuck; outrage culture). Cernovich is arguing in bad faith and in fact pretty much admits to it. He's already moved on to targeting Patton Oswalt and Michael Ian Black.

4. Ted Cruz, who endorsed Roy Moore, is also a huge hypocrite, using selective outrage to pander to his base. Also, his insinuation that Gunn may be an actual pedofile and rapist with just these tweets as evidence is beyond the pale.

5. Disney very likely knew about these tweets in 2012 and kept Gunn on anyway. The matter wasn't probably discussed and Gunn was forgiven. So it feels wrong that Disney now changes gears, especially in response to downright gleeful faux outrage from alt right trolls arguing in bad faith.

6. Disney is, however, a huge company with strong, family friendly branding that could hardly be further removed from the content of those tweets. The firing of Gunn (ha) may not feel entirely 'right', but it was understandable. Certainly predictable.

7. The tweets are, mostly, highly offensive and should rightly be disowned. Gunn should deleted them. To his credit, in his latest statement he has shown contrition and understanding of his firing.

8. The polarization of US/Western culture certainly plays a part and this is lamentable. One would hope that, if a mirror image of this situation happened to, say, Chris Wallace, we'd largely occupy the same positions. Still, one side of the aisle is more likely to argue in bad faith. Roy Moore, Darla Shine, Donald Trump — none of them were held accountable or got as much as a reprimand from most members of their own 'tribe'. The same cannot be said about Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey or Al Franken.

9. What Gunn did was bad, but nowhere near as bad as what any of the people in point #8 have said or done. It can also easily be argued that Cernovich and Shapiro have done worse things than Gunn.

10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is the best Marvel movie don't @ me.

I don't disagree with a single thing being said here. Thanks for laying out your points clearly. There are multiple layers to the James Gunn firing and the implications are deeper than many may think.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This feels eerily relevant to the well known poem "First they came..." , even if the stakes are obviously different.
If you're willing to burn allies because they made mistakes in the past, you're not going to have a lot of people that want to fight for you.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

So thanks Disney for legitimizing Cernovich...didn't they watch what he did when he duped MSNBC in firing Sam Seder?

Also that Boogie tweet is just pure shit...like almost 99% of everything that comes out his mouth and fingertips.

see, this is exactly what everyone is upset about people. disney caving to this asshole only legitimized it.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the fact that the person who did the explaining knows it's obviously a joke but still felt the need to say it's not a good tweet because of how things are perceived makes it feel like there's a good chance that innocuous jokes like that might be enough to fuck your career.

Difference with Patton is he is a professional comedian so is pretty much his own boss.

His film and TV output isn't really tied up with anyone "family friendly" right now either. Netflix isn't going to give two fucks about idiots online @ing them.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017

Lmao some of these tweets literally have nothing to do with anything.

"Tinder but for pizza" WATCH OUT WE GOT A PEDO OVER HERE.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Difference with Patton is he is a professional comedian so is pretty much his own boss.

His film and TV output isn't really tied up with anyone "family friendly" right now either. Netflix isn't going to give two fucks about idiots online @ing them.
The point is what's worse for Disney?

Keeping a guy who has made dodgy off colour jokes in the past.
Or capitulating to the whims of nazi shitbags?

Option number 2 seems like a much worse choice to me. But in America these days who knows.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Cernovich going after people who write jokes for a living and aren't tied down to Disney is a really stupid idea for him. Not like he has anything to lose but still, dude is getting shit on in the best way possible.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point is what's worse for Disney?

Keeping a guy who has made dodgy off colour jokes in the past.
Or capitulating to the whims of nazi shitbags?

Option number 2 seems like a much worse choice to me. But in America these days who knows.

Disney isn't really interested in the source, nor do they have any responsibility for it/endorsement of it. All they care about is Fox News ran it on the news that one of their big movie directors/writers was joking about cumming on children's faces and how that looks for them.

The average person catching that on the news will be like "What sort of evil goes on at Disney? I'm shocked!". No time to explain the situation in the 24 hour news cycle world, or when the average person can't do more than read a title.

Fire the employee, look like you rid the world of some evil, be the corporation that's shares don't tank due to PR drama.

Looks like it was this "heinous" tweet that set them off

Yeah he kicked the beehive so the bees are buzzing.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Oh come on, they must've known this, it's not like he ever hid his tasteless jokes, it's kinda what he does. So sad that dumb shit he said in jest years ago has codemned him from working on big movies. Hopefully he'll go back to making stuff like Super and Slither, movies I actually cared for.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Comedy Central just announced they will not be renewing Stella for a second season after seeing Black's controversial tweets.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, this is why Gunn deleting tweets wouldn't have mattered. They'd have just called him out for deleting the evidence and posted internet archive links.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

This fucking hot take, holy shit.

Just when you think he couldn't be a bigger cunt.

9MI0XXF.gif