• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
While it's true that Gunn is the alt-right's biggest takedown, you're completely wrong on the bolded. GamerGate got a Nintendo employee fired in part by using accusations of pedophilia.

Another one I missed... I guess this one just blew up a lot more. Let's just say he's the highest they ever managed to successfully punch.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't aware of this at all. What exactly did he say/joke about?
A lot of offensive jokes about rape and pedophilia which he later denounced and apologized for, just before Disney hired him for GotG. He was fired for those exact tweets eight years later because Mike Cernovich and his crew brought them back to light and made them trend overnight. He did this partly by misrepresenting the tweets as "statements," claiming they were proof Gunn was an actual pedophile instead of a very bad joke-teller.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
I wasn't aware of this at all. What exactly did he say/joke about?

Boy you missed one long weekend.

Ok I'll give you everything straight. James Gunn made some tweets criticizing Donald Trump. Bunch of alt right assholes took it upon themselves to look into Gunn's past and publish what they find. Back before Gunn was on the Guardians team he made a bunch jokes about pedophilia and child rape that.... Let's say haven't played very well. Anyway yeah he gets fired and now the internet is split between those who want James to stay fired because his Tweets are legit horrifying. And those that think he shouldn't have been fired because this was an attack by the alt right digging into his past that he has long apologized for.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I forgot about that. She was one of their major Treehouse people, right?

Yes she was.

Also, Dan Olson (a guy who mostly makes video essays) did a piece on GamerGate and made a link between pedophilia and 8Chan (might have been a separate piece, I don't remember), only to be accused of being a pedophile for browsing 8chan in the process. He was subsequently removed from thatguywiththeglasses.com.

She was fired for moonlighting. I'm not sure anyone online actually knows how Nintendo found out about it.

That's their excuse, but I don't buy it. Even if that was the reason she was fired, the idea that increased scrutiny from accusations of pedophilia led to Nintendo finding out that she had a second job isn't much different from people looking into James Gunn's tweets after Cernovich accused Gunn of being a pedophile.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yes she was.

Also, Dan Olson (a guy who mostly makes video essays) did a piece on GamerGate and made a link between pedophilia and 8Chan (might have been a separate piece, I don't remember), only to be accused of being a pedophile for browsing 8chan in the process. He was subsequently removed from thatguywiththeglasses.com.

That one was actually a win for Dan, though. TGWTG is a cesspool.

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of offensive jokes about rape and pedophilia which he later denounced and apologized for, just before Disney hired him for GotG. He was fired for those exact tweets eight years later because Mike Cernovich and his crew brought them back to light and made them trend overnight. He did this partly by misrepresenting the tweets as "statements," claiming they were proof Gunn was an actual pedophile instead of a very bad joke-teller.

Ok I'll give you everything straight. James Gunn made some tweets criticizing Donald Trump. Bunch of alt right assholes took it upon themselves to look into Gunn's past and publish what they find. Back before Gunn was on the Guardians team he made a bunch jokes about pedophilia and child rape that.... Let's say haven't played very well. Anyway yeah he gets fired and now the internet is split between those who want James to stay fired because his Tweets are legit horrifying. And those that think he shouldn't have been fired because this was an attack by the alt right digging into his past that he has long apologized for.

Thank you for updating me on this, much appreciated. What a goddamn mess.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
And those that think he shouldn't have been fired because this was an attack by the alt right digging into his past that he has long apologized for.
No, he shouldn't have been fired because those Tweets are nearly 10 years old and the guy has apologies for who he was and made steps to change who he was. We shouldn't punish people who are, genuinely, trying to be better people.

The Nazi stuff aside, the idea that people don't change is bullshit.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Definitely, but the point is that the alt-right in general has experience with throwing out accusations of pedophilia that eventually lead to people getting fired.

I say this to German comrades a lot when talking about the situation in Germany, there are three topics, the far-right will always instrumentalize to get the common folk to buy into their shit:

1. Women - "Keep our women safe from evil foreigners!"
2. Children
3. Animals

1 is obviously impossible for the Alt-Right to try and spin a serious case of, so they always rely on 2.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She was fired for moonlighting. I'm not sure anyone online actually knows how Nintendo found out about it.
It got dug up by the online far right trolls. In that situation Nintendo's hand was effectively forced and it's why Rapp wasn't angry at them about it, she understood their position.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

And also people that don't believe in punishing people after they've apologized and demonstrated for years that they've changed. Just sends the message "Hey, there's no reason to change!"

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely, but the point is that the alt-right in general has experience with throwing out accusations of pedophilia that eventually lead to people getting fired.
If I remember Dan Olson telling it, it wasn't the accusations against him that got him fired, just the volume of it that management at CA decided it wasn't worth all the email they were getting.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
This is a bad thing though, yeah? It's a good example of it, but it's still wrong.

Absolutely.

It's what I was thinking about as I was reading this story. It would be great if people were more forgiving and understanding in this world.

But I've found that in this society, any small thing can be used against you. It's hella unfair but that's the deal... Unless people as whole can change.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely.

It's what I was thinking about as I was reading this story. It would be great if people were more forgiving and understanding in this world.

But I've found that in this society, any small thing can be used against you. It's hella unfair but that's the deal... Unless people as whole can change.

If you truly feel that way then was was that long ass post about b

Lots of contradictions

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely.

Yeah, I totally agree. Wouldn't it make sense then to be outspoken about the fact that it was unfair for Gunn to be fired then, even if it likely will never happen? I'm trying to understand why you think this was a waste of time. Is it just frustrating that this many people didn't care until it happened to a white dude who made a Marvel movie? Or like you said, they're spending time focusing on Gunn rather than the larger problem?

I just don't see how just moving on because it wasn't entirely fabricated is better than doing nothing at all.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
If you truly feel that way then was was that long ass post about b

Lots of contradictions

What you mean fam?

- This was an AltRight Plot

- Gunn posted some sick stuff back in the day

- Gunn has changed and obviously alot of people vouge for that.

- The principle responsibility ultimately lies with James, No tweets, No firing. He even accepts this himself.

- Gunn hasn't lost his career. He will be fine, esp seeing how the industry knows it was a hate campaign

- This mainly escalated so fast due to the Disney Fox merger

- The mouse doesnt fuck with controversy at all, Nazis got lucky and had good timing

All of those things are true simultaneously. They don't contradict each other. They make the whole picture.

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What you mean fam?

- This was an AltRight Plot

- Gunn posted some sick stuff back in the day

- Gunn has changed and obviously alot of people vouge for that.

- The principle responsibility ultimately lies with James, No tweets, No firing. He even accepts this himself.

- Gunn hasn't lost his career. He will be fine, esp seeing how the industry knows it was a hate campaign

- This mainly escalated so fast due to the Disney Fox merger

- The mouse doesnt fuck with controversy at all, Nazis got lucky and had good timing

All of those things are true simultaneously. They don't contradict each other. They make the whole picture.

You left out the part where you asserted that only white Gunn fanboys care and are being too loud.

Am I white now?

There's an important difference between acknowledging that it's unfortunate that past actions can sink you even if you've improved and "oh well, he deserved it and he'll be fine."

You seem to be swinging back and forth between those positions depending on who you're responding to.

Nov 30, 2017
It's a shame Depp beating his wife wasn't news worthy.

Well it's not only Depp. Bryan Singer's name is still on as Producer of the upcoming X-Men film he is also still directing and producing movies in the future.

Yet Gunn's Sony movie got pulled. Like WTF? It's worse to joke about this shit, than it is to actually commit the act.

Where is the god dammn outrage for that guy?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Well it's not only Depp. Bryan Singer's name is still on as Producer of the upcoming X-Men film he is also still directing and producing movies in the future.

Yet Gunn's Sony movie got pulled. Like WTF? It's worse to joke about this shit, than it is to actually commit the act.

Where is the god dammn outrage for that guy?
To be fair, Gunn's Sony movie did not actually get cancelled, just the premiere (afaik). Pretty big difference there.

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
The alt right loves to accuse people of pedophilia, but they sure are quick to rally around folks like Roy Moore (who is accused of molesting many, many girls over the years) and Jim Jordan (who ignored over 100 accounts of sexual assault at Ohio State).

It's almost like they only care about what they can use to attack people.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going "he's a white male, he'll be fine" is pretty damn naive. Do you honestly think they won't use these tactics on women, lgbt, and poc? Because they just proved that they can take down a major director with this.
Seriously? Dude we always get the tactics lobbed at us, even those of us who are shot dead by police and get their entire history dragged out to certify that we deserved it.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, I totally agree. Wouldn't it make sense then to be outspoken about the fact that it was unfair for Gunn to be fired then, even if it likely will never happen? I'm trying to understand why you think this was a waste of time. Is it just frustrating that this many people didn't care until it happened to a white dude who made a Marvel movie? Or like you said, they're spending time focusing on Gunn rather than the larger problem?

I just don't see how just moving on because it wasn't entirely fabricated is better than doing nothing at all.

I was criticizing the misplaced anger, which was being channeled against people who didn't fit the general opinion being reported. Those people aren't the enemy. Right now the Nazis are using social outrage tactics and they can be beaten the same way.

Why is this mini culture war being waged through celebrity employment?

Attack these clowns head up.

Why isn't there a ScumbagCernovich.com?

ScumbagPeterson.com?

ScumbagSharpio.com?

Why aren't we documenting ever shitty thing these guys put in the air into a nice neat digesable and accessible content space? It would make them 1000% easier to discredit. Easier to show people that these guys aren't worth listening to.

We need to mobilize the same exact way like these guys do, but we lack initiative. Imagine if that petition was focused on @Jack(Scumbag) taking notice of the filth Cernovich puts on Twitter.

Cite the damn Twitter TOS with every post that breaks it. Get aggressive.

You left out the part where you asserted that only white Gunn fanboys care and are being too loud.

Am I white now?

There's an important difference between acknowledging that it's unfortunate that past actions can sink you even if you've improved and "oh well, he deserved it and he'll be fine."

You seem to be swinging back and forth between those positions depending on who you're responding to.

Not at all swinging. Like I've told everyone, I'm seeing the entire context here. And that context includes those who don't feel bad about his firing, they have a right to that. It doesn't make them culpable.

Where did I say white fanboys? I said James Gunn is white male. A wealthy one with connections at that. Who worked for Marvel. Who made 2 movies that both grossed over a billion dollars each. He has a Sony project coming out...

The dude will be FINE. He's gonna be getting Guardian residuals till he's in the casket. People were acting like dude is on the street never to work in Hollywood again. Like this dude didn't have a bank account before he got let go.

But while we're on the topic of fanboys.

There is an absolute cult of personality that's creating a bias here for some people. People like the guy. That's fine, people like his work. I understand that. But when people started attacking people with history of assault, that's just unacceptable. They can criticize, that's their right. People can feel how they want about it. I hope the posters who did that can think about how that made people feel, they take stuff of that nature very strongly for good reason.

It's okay to be a fanboy, but people have to be aware to take a step back and see when something is going on.

The Muskboys got a wake up last week. The Kanyeboys got one a few months ago too.

Oct 25, 2017
I was criticizing the misplaced anger, which was being channeled against people who didn't fit the general opinion being reported. Those people aren't the enemy. Right now the Nazis are using social outrage tactics and they can be beaten the same way.

ScumbagPeterson.com?

ScumbagSharpio.com?

Why aren't we documenting ever shitty thing these guys put in the air into a nice neat digesable and accessible content space? It would make them 1000% easier to discredit. Easier to show people that these guys aren't worth listening to.

We need to mobilize the same exact way like these guys do, but we lack initiative. Imagine if that petition was focused on @Jack(Scumbag) taking notice of the filth Cernovich puts on Twitter.

Not at all swinging. Like I've told everyone, I'm seeing the entire context here. And that context includes those who don't feel bad about his firing, they have a right to that. It doesn't make them culpable.

Where did I say white fanboys? I said James Gunn is white male. A wealthy one with connections at that. Who worked for Marvel. Who made 2 movies that both grossed over a billion dollars each. He has a Sony project coming out...

The dude will be FINE. He's gonna be getting Guardian residuals till he's in the casket. People were acting like dude is on the street never to work in Hollywood again. Like this dude didn't have a bank account before he got let go.

There is an absolute cult of personality that's creating a bias here for some people. People like the guy. That's fine, people like his work. I understand that. But when people started attacking people with history of assault, that's just unacceptable. They can criticize, that's their right. People can feel how they want about it. I hope the posters who did that can think about how that made people feel, they take stuff of that nature very strongly for good reason.

It's okay to be a fanboy, but people have to be aware to take a step back and see when something is going on.

The Muskboys got a wake up last week. The Kanyeboys got one a few months ago too.

Way to completely fail to understand the meaning of any of this. First of all, the actual shitty people ARE constantly being called out, their shit behavior recorded and reported to the operators of the platforms they occupy. Nothing happens. Ever. Because the platform holders want them there. The same tactics do not work both ways.

And about James being fine, well duh. That's not the point. This isn't about protecting his livelihood. It's about refusing to validate attacks of this kind, which are a growing trend. Why is it so hard to think critically about this and see the bigger picture?

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ScumbagPeterson.com?

ScumbagSharpio.com?

True, although I think Jack is already well aware. It would probably be better to be able to show examples than to just say "the alt-right" over and over again tho

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't really give a shit about Gunn, he'll survive. But the problem is that the fascists have now been given a tool to shut down vocal dissent against anyone who opposes them.
Now they've chosen to go after Patton Oswalt, Sarah Silverman, Michael Ian Black and many others. Do you not see the problem in allowing nazi rapists to dictate the conversation on social media?
If you're just going to stand by and watch while an ally gets torn down with the argument "well he wasn't perfect so he had it coming" you won't have any people left standing up for you.

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ScumbagPeterson.com?

ScumbagSharpio.com?

You're still talking about fanboys and Gunn's money like that's what matters here.

Anyway I'm done.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Way to completely fail to understand the meaning of any of this. First of all, the actual shitty people ARE constantly being called out, their shit behavior recorded and reported to the operators of the platforms they occupy. Nothing happens. Ever. Because the platform holders want them there. The same tactics do not work both ways.

And about James being fine, well duh. That's not the point. This isn't about protecting his livelihood. It's about refusing to validate attacks of this kind, which are a growing trend. Why is it so hard to think critically about this and see the bigger picture?

What do you mean? I'm not missing anything.

And if those tactics don't work, then we need to find others.

I personally don't agree that they don't work because it's nowhere close to what I suggested. Scattered people here and there doesn't equal a full campaign with websites and social accounts.

And since the Shitty 4 is so complicit like you say, (and I agree with you) (FB,TW,REDD,YOUTB)

Then we have 4 huge targets that we need to shit on and make bigger waves.

But people need to heed the warning about this fight. If we're gonna kick a bitch to get Rosanne fired for her shit comments (deservingly so). Then it absolutely can come back and bite people in the ass.

Gunn is a sad example of that right here. He got put on front street. You honestly think Disney would do nothing? That's unrealistic to me.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
Drax aint screwing around.

batista-thumbs-down-gif-8.gif

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bro you straight up asked me to explain my view and I elaborated in detail on what I meant specifically in my sentences.

Don't do that man.

If some people feel Gunn is irredeemable because of their personal experiences that's fine. But by the same token people who realize this isn't just about Gunn or who have sympathy for Gunn despite his money shouldn't be reduced to fanboys and disregarded.

There's no point only considering the most extreme positions.