• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Okay let me preface this by saying that I like TLJ. It and TFA are solid movies as are Rogue One and (to a lesser extent) Solo. The Rise of Skywalker and the Mandalorian both look great and my thoughts have absolutely nothing to do with me hating how Disney has handled Star Wars whatsoever, because I don't.

That said, I have absolutely no confidence that they won't make the same mistakes with Revan that the old EU did.

Revan is not a set character. They can be male, female, black, white, Light, dark, etc. And using them in any capacity that's not a cameo or small reference would almost certainly compromise that.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What news? Did they really say KNIGHTS of the Old Republic or just "we're doing something in the old republic era"?

Because really, BioWare already fucked Revan up in TOR before Disney got anywhere near him.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to adapt a game with multiple branching story paths into a movie seems like a poor idea. Hopefully if they do end up making an Old Republic movie, they simply pull from the setting and don't try to directly adapt either game's story, or use the game's characters.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that Disney possibly doing an Old Republic movie doesn't hype me at all, but that's more to do with the Old Republic being incredibly overrated.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
So basically

sacredtexts.jpg

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What news? Did they really say KNIGHTS of the Old Republic or just "we're doing something in the old republic era"?

Because really, BioWare already fucked Revan up in TOR before Disney got anywhere near him.

A interviewer asked "hey what about Knights of the Old Republic" and she nodded and said like "we talk about that a lot and are developing something to look at". It was a lot of weasel words that really meant absolutely nothing.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not particularly sure what is so uniquely special about Revan that makes it to where they shouldn't ever be adapted.

Hell, even the stuff from KotOR2 that people are even more protective over shouldn't even be out of the question to be revisited.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
A interviewer asked "hey what about Knights of the Old Republic" and she nodded and said like "we talk about that a lot and are developing something to look at". It was a lot of weasel words that really meant absolutely nothing.

Yeah. That's what I thought. It would've been massive news everywhere if they actually announced a game or movie or TV show with a title like that.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I doubt "we are developing something to look at" means all that much, I'm sure they've been putting together pitches / looking into practically every idea and established corner of the property one can imagine, but were it to actually happen, I wouldn't have a problem with taking a shot at adapting the story to film.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I think people keep forgetting that Lucasfilm still operates as its own autonomous studio just like Marvel.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Do any Star Wars fans ever just enjoy things or is life one big constant slog?

Was playing the old republic with some friends over the weekend and one said something that basically explains every star wars fan ever.

"The writer for this game went on to say that the more he read of the star wars lore the more he hated star wars as a whole"

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Revan was already made. Looks like this
maxresdefault.jpg

Theres also a book that defines him as a male if we take the old EU seriously.(although that book more or less shat on KotoR 2)

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My reason for not wanting to see any rendition of Revan is because of SWGOH, a mobile game I've played for the last year. The developers have focused entirely on KOTOR content for one year straight and just recently topped it off with Jedi Revan, Darth Revan and Darth Malak, the three worst characters ever introduced to the game. I am so sick of Revan and everything associated with him that I'd be happy to never hear about him ever again.

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
My reason for not wanting to see any rendition of Revan is because of SWGOH, a mobile game I've played for the last year. The developers have focused entirely on KOTOR content for one year straight and just recently topped it off with Jedi Revan, Darth Revan and Darth Malak, the three worst characters ever introduced to the game. I am so sick of Revan and everything associated with him that I'd be happy to never hear about him ever again.

I love SWGOH and I am loving all the old republic love. It sucks that I couldnt get Malak the first time but I do have DR and JKR. I will get Malak the next time his event comes back. I think the OR stuff they have added to the game is the best content so far.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
The Exile might be asian female, but Idk if Disney would actually follow through with that or making Revan a PoC - especially if D&D really are doing an Old Republic era trilogy - but it'd bring some cool diversity. After Luke/Han/Leia/Rey the Galaxy has plenty of white heroes & near-messianic figures. Finn is a step in more representation but Disney could do more.

Although the Empire or the First Order - both ruled by old white dudes in cloaks, one aboard a ship called the Supremacy - aren't exactly ones for sublety and Lucas was always open about how the Empire were inspired by watching Nazi documentaries and war films at film school.

----------

Back on point but whether Disney fuck it up or not, KOTOR will always be there as a game and I'm perfectly capable of enjoying it on its own terms so...whatever they do in the current canon...hopefully good bu t hey ho

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love SWGOH and I am loving all the old republic love. It sucks that I couldnt get Malak the first time but I do have DR and JKR. I will get Malak the next time his event comes back. I think the OR stuff they have added to the game is the best content so far.
Wish I felt the way you do. It doesn't help that I have no particular affinity for KOTOR because I never experienced it so to be inundated with this type of content for one year straight really put me off. If it was for only a few months, I think the novelty would still be there and I'd be more welcoming to it.

On the other hand, if KOTOR content spanned only a couple of months and the current Revans still released, I'd be just as sour. Ultimately I think these two characters and Malak really made the game worse.

They need to break up the monotony and character cadence. Truthfully, Clone Wars and original trilogy content are my favorite, but I would hate to have year-long stretches of content for either or. I don't think that's healthy.

Also more broadly, there's a reason the game has been on a weird downward spiral for the past year ever since Traya released. Not to do with KOTOR specifically, but they've really been boning the community lately, be it F2P or whales, having made decisions for the worse that no one asked for. You may enjoy the content but there's no denying that people are disliking the game more than ever. I'm curious to see what their revenue will be like for this period as compared to last year because I suspect it won't be favorable.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Okay let me preface this by saying that I like TLJ. It and TFA are solid movies as are Rogue One and (to a lesser extent) Solo. The Rise of Skywalker and the Mandalorian both look great and my thoughts have absolutely nothing to do with me hating how Disney has handled Star Wars whatsoever, because I don't.

That said, I have absolutely no confidence that they won't make the same mistakes with Revan that the old EU did.

Revan is not a set character. They can be male, female, black, white, Light, dark, etc. And using them in any capacity that's not a cameo or small reference would almost certainly compromise that.

Too late. BioWare already ruined Revan in SWTOR where they split him in two so there's a LS and DS version at the same time.

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
Wish I felt the way you do. It doesn't help that I have no particular affinity for KOTOR because I never experienced it so to be inundated with this type of content for one year straight really put me off. If it was for only a few months, I think the novelty would still be there and I'd be more welcoming to it.

On the other hand, if KOTOR content spanned only a couple of months and the current Revans still released, I'd be just as sour. Ultimately I think these two characters and Malak really made the game worse.

They need to break up the monotony and character cadence. Truthfully, Clone Wars and original trilogy content are my favorite, but I would hate to have year-long stretches of content for either or. I don't think that's healthy.

Also more broadly, there's a reason the game has been on a weird downward spiral for the past year ever since Traya released. Not to do with KOTOR specifically, but they've really been boning the community lately, be it F2P or whales, having made decisions for the worse that no one asked for. You may enjoy the content but there's no denying that people are disliking the game more than ever. I'm curious to see what their revenue will be like for this period as compared to last year because I suspect it won't be favorable.
KoToR has been my favorite SW related thing since I played the first game. I love the story and the characters so the more the better for me in SWGOH. My guess is that their revenue is way up now since I have seen several threads from people on the official forums talking about how they spent over $1k on unlocking Malak. Darth Revan was the first character I ever spent money on and I dropped $170 to get him. Even with all the OR content we have gotten we have also gotten new ships, new driods, reworks to several factions, a new Chewie and C3PO, all since JKR came out. I think they have done a good job switching up the content the problem is that all the OR stuff is meta-defining so that is what people focus on. Jedi Luke will come out soon and make Resistance the new meta and then people will complain about that.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
The Exile might be asian female, but Idk if Disney would actually follow through with that or making Revan a PoC - especially if D&D really are doing an Old Republic era trilogy - but it'd bring some cool diversity. After Luke/Han/Leia/Rey the Galaxy has plenty of white heroes & near-messianic figures. Finn is a step in more representation but Disney could do more.

Although the Empire or the First Order - both ruled by old white dudes in cloaks, one aboard a ship called the Supremacy - aren't exactly ones for sublety and Lucas was always open about how the Empire were inspired by watching Nazi documentaries and war films at film school.

----------

Back on point but whether Disney fuck it up or not, KOTOR will always be there as a game and I'm perfectly capable of enjoying it on its own terms so...whatever they do in the current canon...hopefully good bu t hey ho

Yeah the exile is some type of asian looking female. Regan being a person of color is cool because his decendants are brown to a point also. So either he was brown or his kids married into brown.

Also if they do old republic they have to do justice to the troopers of that era. They were trained and equipped to fight force users because Jedi,Sith, and other force users. They were trained out the ass and it showed.

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Revan is an established character. They could have them appear genderless, and speak in a voice changer or something if they don't want a canon version.
e34fcb890cb8ed566e7d07ecfaf541a3.jpg