• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Also i don't trust Disney to make Revan a women and allow her to have a romance and havr her children and long term descendants.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
KoToR has been my favorite SW related thing since I played the first game. I love the story and the characters so the more the better for me in SWGOH. My guess is that their revenue is way up now since I have seen several threads from people on the official forums talking about how they spent over $1k on unlocking Malak. Darth Revan was the first character I ever spent money on and I dropped $170 to get him. Even with all the OR content we have gotten we have also gotten new ships, new driods, reworks to several factions, a new Chewie and C3PO, all since JKR came out. I think they have done a good job switching up the content the problem is that all the OR stuff is meta-defining so that is what people focus on. Jedi Luke will come out soon and make Resistance the new meta and then people will complain about that.
There are way too many problems with the current state of the game than I care to remember, but some are way more prominent than others.

To address what you said about the revenue directly, I do expect a slight increase (whether that's more than last year is debatable, we shall see), if only because of how they botched the release schedules. Jedi Revan released and fewer people got that character on the first try than Darth Revan and Malak separately, according to meta reports. When more people started getting Darth Revan upon his release, they immediately pushed through Malak with a two-day notice and, for the first time, required an unbelievable commitment of 10 characters at 17500 GP to unlock a second-to-Darth Revan character known as Malak, which was unprecedented.

Their realization was that they didn't make enough money off of Darth Revan so they unfairly went the way they did with Malak. Read the Reddit forums of how many whales have been quitting and upset that they spent a ton of money to unlock Darth Revan but had no time to unlock Malak and are now left with an incomplete Sith Empire team. That isn't right.

Your other comment about C3P0, Chewbacca, and the droids is correct, these things did happen at the same time KOTOR has been going on. But the large issue is that the game is heavily focused on PVP in arena, nothing else. The developers show little care for any other game-mode. They themselves have said that their goal is to provide longevity in the meta through releases of Malak and to make them meta-defining for many months at a time. Since his release, Malak has been reworked once or twice, I believe, because the community play-tested the content that CG failed to do themselves (not the first time, either, as this has happened dozens of times over the years) and found ways to counter Malak, so they've buffed him in response.

Here's an excellent post of everything they've done that communicates a deliberate attempt to widen the gap between being free-to-play and a whale: https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/bfe4y5/the_truth_is_were_getting_squeezed/

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I really hate this whole 'dont touch the old eu stuff because it will ruin it'

That stuff is already there. You can also go back and experience the great two first games (that btw got ruined by TOR in regards to revan')

Let disney try new things, even with legacy characters. If they fuck up, who cares, the old stuff still exists.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Well you know it's already going to happen eventually, It almost did once

Dave Filoni already started to design Revan for Clone Wars and was in a pre vis Deleted scene as a darkside ghost. (Don't complain about the animation its a pre vis concept, had it been made even the voice could have been different from this)

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
Well you know it's already going to happen eventually, It almost did once

Dave Filoni already started to design Revan for Clone Wars and was in a pre vis Deleted scene as a darkside ghost. (Don't complain about the animation its a pre vis concept, had it been made even the voice could have been different from this)

This would have gotten me interested in Clone Wars. To bad it never happened.

OP
OP
Lord Vatek

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
There was already a canon Revan and a canon Exile in the EU. Nobody got mad.
People are mad about that in this very thread.

I really hate this whole 'dont touch the old eu stuff because it will ruin it'

That stuff is already there. You can also go back and experience the great two first games (that btw got ruined by TOR in regards to revan')

Let disney try new things, even with legacy characters. If they fuck up, who cares, the old stuff still exists.
I'm honestly not trying to come off as a "Don't touch muh nostalgia" person (honestly they can do whatever they want). It's just that in this instance, the point is that Revan isn't really a proper character and I'd be more interested in them making a new one with a similar story but no baggage.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
First off, I'm pretty sure we have old EU canon descriptions of Revan and even the exile from KOTOR2. Now, those are no longer canon, but if they want a specific gender/alignment, they can follow those, or make their own, not like the old EU didn't already anyways.

There is no reason they can't touch Revan. Revan is not some sacred cow that cannot be touched. They are working from a mostly clean slate for a reason regarding the EU. They can do what they want. They'll likely base the story loosely off KOTOR 1, considering how well it's received overall by fans, but expect some changes.

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
I wonder if they could do a movie told entirely from Revans perspective, and have it be that you never see him except for flashbacks so you never see him without his mask. Basically set it up so that the Revan in the movie is the revan that each person played and no one Revan is the true one.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't care about Revan at all, they should come up with something new.
Star Wars fans are deathly allergic to anything new.
They enjoy the stories they made up in their heads which are objectively superior to every movie ever made .
NtUg6k9.gif

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If they use him then it won't really be because they gave him his own movie or show or even game, it'll be more of a cameo situation. And if they do go ahead and end up making something set in the Old Republic then don't expect it do have any of the characters from the games.

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
If they use him then it won't really be because they gave him his own movie or show or even game, it'll be more of a cameo situation. And if they do go ahead and end up making something set in the Old Republic then don't expect it do have any of the characters from the games.

What would be the point of making Old Republic movies if they dont feature any of the Old Republic characters that fans love? My god that would be such a waste. if we are getting OR movies I want to see Carth and Misson and Big Z. If they want to tell stories with different characters then do something different.

OP
OP
Lord Vatek

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
This is only true in the very first KOTOR video game.

Even before Disney, Revan was established as a white dude throughout a bunch of different media.
Well in the second game too. But yeah you're right and I'm saying they shouldn't do it again.

Canonize that Revan existed, then leave it there.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
What would be the point of making Old Republic movies if they dont feature any of the Old Republic characters that fans love? My god that would be such a waste. if we are getting OR movies I want to see Carth and Misson and Big Z. If they want to tell stories with different characters then do something different.
Because it's an interesting setting and starting with the end of the Skywalker saga Lucasfilm wants to start doing new things that won't require you to know a bunch of backstory. So, no, they're not gonna make a movie with a bunch of characters that only people who played a video game will know, it's exactly the thing they want to avoid going forward.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
They literally just added Jedi Knight Reven, Darth Reven, and Darth Malak to the mobile game galaxy of heroes.

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
They literally just added Jedi Knight Reven, Darth Reven, and Darth Malak to the mobile game galaxy of heroes.

They also added T3, Jolee Bindo, Carth Onasi, Juhani, Misson, Zaalbar, 2 different versions of Bastilla Shan, and Canderous Ordo. They have added 3 different Old Republic special events as well. I really do hope adding all that OR content to the game was them testing the waters to see how much interest people have in those characters and that era.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they could do a movie told entirely from Revans perspective, and have it be that you never see him except for flashbacks so you never see him without his mask. Basically set it up so that the Revan in the movie is the revan that each person played and no one Revan is the true one.

You mean like a first person movie? That would be nauseating from a cinematography perspective and absolutely miserable from a storytelling perspective. What about Revan's voice?

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
You mean like a first person movie? That would be nauseating from a cinematography perspective and absolutely miserable from a storytelling perspective. What about Revan's voice?
I was thinking more like Revan is the narrator and he is off screen most of the time. I do remember some low budget action movie did a whole movie shot in 1st person perspective and I dont think you could do that.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Using Revan is stupid anyway, because Revan is not that good of a character. There, I said it.

The only time Revan has been good was when Kreia explained his/her motivations in KotOR 2.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone would just be mad that "their" Revan isn't canon, and the twist won't be nearly as effective on film vs. in a game.
If you straight up make KotOR into a movie the entire audience would guess the twist three seconds in.

"There was a mysterious Sith who always wore a mask and apparently died (though we never see a body or a death scene) and our main character is an amnesiac who has no recollection of who he/she is, but is unusually strong in The Force? I wonder who the Sith is..."

Why the twist worked in the game was because "Amnesiac hero can grow unusually strong very fast" is a common trope in RPG's, but in a movie this plot device is literally only used when the amnesiac character in question is part of some sort of huge reveal later on.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If you straight up make KotOR into a movie the entire audience would guess the twist three seconds in.

"There was a mysterious Sith who always wore a mask and apparently died (though we never see a body or a death scene) and our main character is an amnesiac who has no recollection of who he/she is, but is unusually strong in The Force? I wonder who the Sith is..."

Pretty much. Half the reason the twist works in the game at all is because the game is so damn long that you kinda forget about Revan for a while until you go to the Star Forge and then you're like "OH SHIT RIGHT"

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Eh, as said TOR already ruined Revan.

As for a movie series why start with him? Why not make a movie from after he turns with Bastilla as the lead, ending with his defeat? Then you can do the "rehab" story in the second where you can tease whether he will or won't actually be redeemed as stupid as it may be to take the risk. Then the third an adaptation of the Exile, or you can skip that and just do a story about the Exile.

Or you can just be someone and something else, the Old Republic is more than just the KOTOR story from the games.

Last edited:

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I think that's a very coward attitude that puts the fear of disappointment over the chance of hapiness.

Disney should explore every avenue of approach and then touch Revan in the best way possible. It might suck, but the only way to know is trying.

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
Movie 1 the rise of Revan we see Reven start off as some lowly Sith and then rise up to become the most powerful Sith. Movie 2 Revan destroys the Jedi puts the Galaxy under his control and then Movie 3 we have the Jedis launch their plan to capture Revan brainwash him make him good. You don't even have to have the twist be part of the movies at all.