• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
The Walt Disney Co. powered up a strong June quarter, highlighted by a 14.4 million gain in Disney+ streaming subscribers and a robust rebound in theme park revenue — topping Wall Street expectations on most metrics.

Disney+ paid customers stood at 152.1 million as of July 2, the end of the conglomerate's third quarter of fiscal 2022. The pickup of 14.4 million for the flagship streamer beat analyst forecasts of a 10 million sequential gain.

variety.com

Disney Beats Quarterly Expectations, Disney+ Soars to 152 Million Subscribers

Disney packed on 14.4 million Disney+ streaming subscribers in the June quarter and topped Wall Street earnings expectations.

Disney+ Basic, which is the name of the plan with ads, will launch Dec. 8 in the U.S. for $7.99/month. That's the price of the current ad-free version of Disney+, which at that time will bump up to $10.99/month, a 38% increase, and will be known as Disney+ Premium.

The ad-supported version of Disney+ will include all the same content that is available in the ad-free tier, although some titles may not run advertising, according to the company.

Disney+ Basic will launch with about four minutes of ads per hour. It will start with 15- and 30-second spots but will expand to a "full suite of ad products" over time, Disney Advertising Sales president Rita Ferro said at an investment conference this spring. Disney+ with ads will not accept political or alcohol ads. The company expects that the majority of Disney+ customers will opt for the cheaper, ad-supported plan over time.

Meanwhile, as of Oct. 10, Disney will increase the price of Hulu with ads, from $6.99 to $7.99 per month, while the ad-free tier will go from $12.99 to $14.99 per month. The Disney Bundle in the U.S. (Hulu with ads, Disney+ no ads, ESPN+) will go from $13.99 to $14.99 per month; the premium version of the bundle (Hulu no ads, Disney+ no ads, ESPN+) will remain at $19.99 per month.

As previously announced, ESPN+ rates will increase in August, going from $6.99 to $9.99 per month.

variety.com

Disney+ Ad Plan Price and Launch Date Set, Along With Fee Hikes for Disney+ Premium and Hulu

The Disney+ ad-supported tier will launch Dec. 8, when the price of Disney+ with no ads will go up. Hulu prices are also increasing.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like much of a reason (other than ads) for me to stick with Premium. None of my displays can watch 4k content on D+.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Canceled. Fuck it. I'll binge She Hulk et al when Mando comes out.

Legit only watching it for like four or five shows a year. Not worth it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
There's your price increase lol. 3 bucks is a bit much honestly. I'll keep my sub, but it needs diversity in content.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Lmao.

Continuing my trend of only ever paying for a single month when there's enough to binge it is then!

I'm not paying the current premium price for a service with ads on a regular basis. Get outta here.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Four minutes of ads over 60 minutes, if true, is much better than broadcast TV (~12-18 minutes of ads per 60 minutes).

I still just don't have time I want to spend watching TV, so we just get one subscription per month and watch a little. No point in multiples at once for how little we watch. So, I don't care about the price increase.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
That is still way cheaper than a lot out there. However, I'm only watching this for new Marvel content. Which is only a couple of shows per year. So some decisions will have to be made. Since I know HBO Max is going to be gutted I may just get rid of that and move onto Disney stuff I guess. I dunno.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Is this increase plus ad-supported plan also for EU? It won't go down well here if it is.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
As with any of these services, it comes down to if you use it. For me, Premium fits because I like all the Marvel/SW content, but also the Disney stuff, too.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Pretty remarkable increase there, especially given that it's mostly international markets that are responsible. I can see why Wall Street is happy.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Might have looked into the basic version of this if it was like freevee, but not like this, lol.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Paying monthly for a streaming service with ads. Blows my mind this is has somehow become normalized. Cable TV all over again, except it's worse because there are fewer parties needing to get paid. It's just the platform getting to double dip.

If I'm paying at all, I don't want ads. If the service is free, sure, monetize with ads.

But paying monthly for a service with ads? Yeah, fuck no.

Jan 29, 2018
Paying monthly for a streaming service with ads. Blows my mind this is has somehow become normalized. Cable TV all over again, except it's worse because there are fewer parties needing to get paid. It's just the platform getting to double dip.

If I'm paying at all, I don't want ads. If the service is free, sure, monetize with ads.

But paying monthly for a service with ads? Yeah, fuck no.

Yup. I don't fuck with commercials anymore.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
The price in Canada already went up 3 bucks a month late last year. Hope this doesn't mean another is coming....it will though.

Disney is on this weird cusp where I don't watch it a lot but just enough to keep paying I guess. Mostly for the Hulu content (Starz in Canada).

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
D+ will always be the mainstream streaming service that I will keep because it has the legacy content that I'm the most likely to watch on a whim. Like, I don't know exactly when I'm going to want to watch The Great Mouse Detective but it's comforting know that I always can.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
But I guess it is still cheaper than Netflix?

Still crazy how faster they gained the subscribers. The power of big IP and big name (Disney)
The power of Hotstar in India and South Asia being very cheap is what really driving the number so fast.

Most of the Disney+ gains in the most recent quarter were outside the U.S. and Canada, where the service picked up just 100,000 to reach 44.5 million. International Disney+ subscribers increased by 6 million in the quarter, to 49.2 million, while Disney+ Hotstar — available in India and Southeast Asia — picked up 8.3 million to hit 58.4 million. Core Disney+ generated average monthly revenue per subscriber of $6.29 (up 3% year over year), compared with $1.20 for Disney+ Hotstar (up 54%).

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Are the ads at least for Disney? I'll watch a fucking Groot or stomach a High School musical ad as long as we're not watching fucking Pepsi or MyPillow shit.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Great earnings report for Disney, especially Parks…the conservative boycott doesn't seem to have made them go broke 😂

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Disgusting. Hope it doesn't come to EU (I know it probably will).

Seriously, paying while still getting ads? I'm the only one here tripping?