• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
deadline.com

Disney-Sony Standoff Ends Marvel Studios & Kevin Feige’s Involvement In ‘Spider-Man’

Disney-Sony Standoff Spins Web Of Doubt Over Kevin Feige's 'Spider-Man' Future

Sources said there are two more Spider-Man films in the works that are meant to have director Jon Watts and Tom Holland front and center, though Watts doesn't have a deal for the next picture. Unless something dramatic happens, Feige won't be the lead creative producer of those pictures.
There is a lot of webbing here, but it all comes down to money, and it's easy to understand why both sides refused to give ground. Disney asked that future Spider-Man films be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between the studios, and there were discussions that this might extend to other films in the Spider-Man universe. Sony turned that offer down flat, and I don't believe they even came back to the table to figure out a compromise. Led by Tom Rothman and Tony Vinciquerra, Sony just simply didn't want to share its biggest franchise. Sony proposed keeping the arrangement going under the current terms where Marvel receives in the range of 5% of first dollar gross, sources said. Disney refused. [UPDATE: Sony insiders counter that Rothman did offer compromises but Disney declined.]

UPDATE from Sony Pictures:

UPDATE from Variety:
One source said that a deal might still be reached between Disney and Sony.

UPDATE from Buzzfeed:

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
At least we got a couple great films!

Sucks we won't get a good Sinister Six or the continuation of this story.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what
Sources said there are two more Spider-Man films in the works that are meant to have director Jon Watts and Tom Holland front and center. Unless something dramatic happens, Feige won't be the lead creative producer of those pictures.

There is a lot of webbing here, but it all comes down to money, and it's easy to understand why both sides refused to give ground. Disney asked that future Spider-Man films be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between the studios, and there were discussions that this might extend to other films in the Spider-Man universe. Sony turned that offer down flat, and I don't believe they even came back to the table to figure out a compromise. Led by Tom Rothman and Tony Vinciquerra, Sony just simply didn't want to share its biggest franchise. Sony proposed keeping the arrangement going under the current terms where Marvel receives in the range of 5% of first dollar gross, sources said. Disney refused.

huh

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is wrong with Sony? Was it so bad to let someone else do the group project, put your name on it, and get an A?

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
So what happens to Tom Holland as Spider-man? I can't bear the thought of not seeing him in that tight suit again.

46c462f55fcc628f7dea720b1f512b00.jpg

(Yes, I know it's photoshopped. I don't care.)

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
So what happens to Tom Holland as Spider-man? I can't bear the thought of not seeing him in that tight suit again.

Sources said there are two more Spider-Man films in the works that are meant to have director Jon Watts and Tom Holland front and center. Unless something dramatic happens, Feige won't be the lead creative producer of those pictures.

Spider-Man 3 and 4 to suck now.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I like how everyone's blaming Sony for this when Disney was the one that was looking for a 50:50 split. Sony can make pretty good money with so-so movies, so it really seems like Disney pushed too far too fast.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Eh if they hire the same writers and director as they usually do it will be the same shit, as long as Avi Arad is gone.

will likely get less MCU cameos though if any at all.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Kinda hope it tanks now so Sony realizes that they can't do Spider-Man without Marvel anymore.

Seems that for all intents and purposes though, Peter Parker won't be in the MCU anymore.

Maybe we'll get Miles Morales for the next time that Sony wants to team up until they decide to pull out again after movie 2 is a success.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Going to be interesting seeing how the hell they navigate around the built up universe now.

Sony are complete idiots. Spiderman literally only became your biggest movie ever because of avengers

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I like how everyone's blaming Sony for this when Disney was the one that was looking for a 50:50 split. Sony can make pretty good money with so-so movies, so it really seems like Disney pushed too far too fast.
That was just the opening bid. Disney just made Sony a BILLION dollars. Sony didn't even come back to the table to negotiate.

Status
Not open for further replies.