• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It gives them a stake in the production of the movie, as well as expanded creative input rather than having to leverage their vision for the character with Sony's requests (remember, Sony was the one that pushed Iron Man to be such a big part of them). Up till now the movie has had every aspect of it subject to Sony's approval.

This would have also likely given them input on other aspects of the Spider-man franchise, including Venom and their efforts to franchise characters like Silver Sable and Kraven. Sony HAS been pushing for MCU integration of these characters, but hasn't wanted Disney to have any input whatsoever on their solo movies.

In other words, Disney is trying to be a bigger partner in Spider-Man as a franchise, instead of beating solely to Sony's drum. This is likely to stave off what is a very justified concern that Sony is trying to excessively franchise different aspects of it in a way that will be ultimately damaging to the character and brand. Which, given they've already done that, and that Tom Rothman did the same shit to X-Men at Fox before moving to Sony, is very very very likely.

This deal would have, more than likely, still overwhelmingly benefited Sony.
I actually didn't know Sony wanted to shove Iron Man into Homecoming.

Not that I actually mind that Iron Man is in the films, I don't mind the MCU cross-pollination that much, but it's funny how the "Iron Man Jr." that people square the blame on was less of a Disney choice if true.

Deleted member 1607

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am simply not a fan of anything S*ny does or their poor customer service or lack of integrity, and don't like to speak their name aloud. It's like if Voldemort was a company.

giphy.gif

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta give it to Disney because they don't even need bots, they have an army of nerds crying all over twitter for some capeshit.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
imagining Marvel replacing Spidey with Gwenpool as the relatable teen hero and then being all "Ha ha, she's actually NOT Gwen Stacy so she's ours, dipshits" to Sony's lawyers

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Banning for stupidity off-site is preposterous, but take solace in knowing it'll be hard for anyone to take him seriously after this.
I don't think it's preposterous. So if a known member on Era starts tweeting out racist shit, he shouldn't be banned because it happened offsite? Lol what? He knew exactly what he was posting. What are you defending?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. The best Peter Parker actor, as well as seeing Spider-Man in Marvel films was good while it lasted. Now back to your regularly scheduled shitty live action Spider-Man films from Sony.

/sigh
Screw that MCU baggage, looking forward to Spidey focusing on being Spidey without snap/post snap, Stark backed rubbish.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
They have the ability to make an okay spider-man movie when they don't have to kneecap the narrative, (though the TASM movies prove that isn't a guarantee).

They are 0-for-1 when trying to make a quality Spider-related movie with a compromised narrative (Making a Venom movie without Spider-Man in it)

Having Spider-Man in the film would not have saved it, unless it happened to be a Spider-Man film where the villain, not the main protagonist was Venom.

Screw that MCU baggage, looking forward to Spidey focusing on being Spidey without snap/post snap, Stark backed, clingy rubbish.

It's better than the last five live action films Sony has done based on the character's universe. They've made a total of two good live action Spider-Man movies.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they work this out as I feel it's better for all parties if they do. Not much interest in Marvel's new phase without Spider-Man and definitely not interested in another reboot.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
What the heck. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse not withstanding, I wasn't the biggest Tom Holland / recent Spider-man movies, but if they go this route they need to give the series a decent rest, I'm tired of all the reboots/origin stories.

SlyCoug88

Jan 10, 2018
Your math is off.
I understand that Disney wants half the revenue, not half the profit.

Fair point; honestly I think the whole balance of it depends on whether or not Disney splits further costs such as marketing 50-50. If so, then it comes out to 50-50 on profit as well and on a film with a profit like Homecoming, Sony is essentially no worse off. It all depends on the nature of the co-financing agreement, and my limited understanding of a co-financing agreement is in fact that such costs are often split. Unfortunately we just don't know the details currently.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Gotta give it to Disney because they don't even need bots, they have an army of nerds crying all over twitter for some capeshit.

Gotta hand it to Sony, they made one Spider-Man movie that was actually good and it makes everyone think they're a plucky underdog and not a monolithic megacorp in their own right.

Mar 9, 2019
Banning for stupidity off-site is preposterous, but take solace in knowing it'll be hard for anyone to take him seriously after this.

Off site stupidity should not be his saving grace here. The staff has banned multiple sources and sites and he should be one

It's inexcusable for a 41 year old man to behave like this and doesn't deserve to be part of this community 🤷‍♂️

Getting upset over someone being upset. JFC.

No ones mad
I joined this site because I was told staff handled toxic clowns like this accordingly

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's preposterous. So if a known member on Era starts tweeting out racist shit, he shouldn't be banned because it happened offsite? Lol what? He knew exactly what he was posting. What are you defending?
Maybe for blatant racism, but saying that XBS will be better than PS5 is not racism.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Nooo! What the hell! is this really happening!?

I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if I'm missing some details. But I can't believe Sony is allowed to keep making Spider-Man movies with this version of the character, starring Tom Holland, without Marvel. Feels like a big mistake in the deal making process on Marvel's part if Sony is really allowed to continue to use a character so integrated into the MCU without Marvel's involvement.

And I don't even want to think about the chance this leads into another Sony reboot. I'm hoping this is all just a misunderstanding 😓

There's no "allowed." Sony owns the film rights to Spider-Man and Holland is under contract with Sony.

Sony can literally do whatever they want with both, there's no "allowed" that comes into play here.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
For the most part, I actually don't blame Sony for walking away from what Disney's asking for. Disney's far from worse for wear at this point in time (getting Fox / regaining film rights to more Marvel characters and having a killer box office year) and yet they asking Sony to shoulder half the cost of future production for not only proper Spider-Man films, but also films connected to the Spider-Man verse (and that's assuming Sony still has to market/release the films and Marvel Studios gets the 5% of the first-dollar gross as the former deal entails). I'd honestly call them out on being greedy in this context.

But I can't help but laugh that TOM ROTHMAN of Fox Marvel fame is involved with talks (even given he's the studio head)
... Sony currently shoulders ALL the costs for Spider-Man/verse movies. The change is splitting those costs 50/50 with Disney for exchange of a 50/50 share of the revenue which understandably Sony would be balk at but it would probably also mean Disney/Marvel being involved with those other Sony produced Marvel based movies and probably taking creative control over them like they did Spider-Man and possibly making the live action ones actually connected to the MCU.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
... Sony paid for ALL of the production cost before.

Do you think Disney was financing Venom??? What the heck?

... Sony currently shoulders ALL the costs for Spider-Man movies. The only change is splitting those costs with Disney for exchange of a 50/50 revenue share which understandably Sony would be balk at but it would probably also mean Disney/Marvel being involved with those other Sony produced Marvel based movies and probably taking creative control over them like they did Spider-Man and possibly making the live action ones actually connected to the MCU.

Alright, mistake on my part. (And while I didn't refer to the movies being produced in relation to the deal in question, no, I wasn't thinking or including Venom on that part.

*That's N. Tyranno )

Macnair

Oct 27, 2017
Man this will take months. I want more Spidey in the MCU and Sony just needs to expand Into the spider-verse more.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wait, Marvel has the game rights? Hmmm

Disney tries to negotiate with Sony

Sony won't play ball

Marvel tries withholding Spider-Man rights as a chip, threatens the sequel as a multiplat/Xbox exclusive

Sony buys Insomniac so defang the threat

I don't actually think this was what happened

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Off site stupidity should not be his saving grace here. The staff has banned multiple sources and sites and he should be one

It's inexcusable for a 41 year old man to behave like this and doesn't deserve to be part of this community 🤷‍♂️

No ones mad
I joined this site because I was told staff handled toxic clowns like this accordingly

how the fuck do you know how old is he?

what the fuck

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
... Sony currently shoulders ALL the costs for Spider-Man movies. The only change is splitting those costs with Disney for exchange of a 50/50 revenue share which understandably Sony would be balk at but it would probably also mean Disney/Marvel being involved with those other Sony produced Marvel based movies and probably taking creative control over them like they did Spider-Man and possibly making the live action ones actually connected to the MCU.

As it stands, Sony WANTS their solo Spider-Man stuff in the MCU, but with Disney getting no input on their individual films.

But sure, they're getting the raw end here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Uhh, off-site stupidity does not (necessarily) equate to off-site racism. One does not require the same response/action as the other.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of Spiderverse love but why is nobody going to bat for the actual best Spider-Man movie, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2.

Oct 26, 2017
If you started permabanning people by trawling off-site posts for console (or comic book) fanboyism this place would be a ghost town.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You are conflating stupid fanboyism with someone who had mental health issues. Like what are you even doing.

It's not okay to shit on people. If someone deleted their embarrassing tweet, maybe it's because they were embarrassed by it. For someone to then repost that tweet with the express intent to further mock its author... Like, you don't know what that person is going through. It's not okay and it is never okay. Surely it doesn't take someone admitting publicly that they're struggling with mental health issues for you to see any merit in sparing them public humiliation.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, Marvel has the game rights? Hmmm

Disney tries to negotiate with Sony

Sony won't play ball

Marvel tries withholding Spider-Man rights as a chip, threatens the sequel as a multiplat/Xbox exclusive

Sony buys Insomniac so defang the threat

I don't actually think this was what happened
Sony is a conglomerate and each division is a separate company

Also why are people defending the dog piling of a dude not even involved in this thread because he's an Xbox fanboy? Who cares, why is it ok just because he has an era account?

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Some of the takes in this thread is rather embarrassing, to be honest. I'd have thought the scourge of toxic fandom didn't touch ERA goven how often we rag on it here passionately.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
-Sony is making a Morbius movie with Jared Leto.
-Sony leaks originally wanted a hip Peter Parker who was into EDM and Tough Mudder
-Tom Rothman tried to sabotage X-men 1, didn't want to make Deadpool, and just generally resents superheroes

That should give you a hint of the minds that would be handling Spider-Man 3.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Lots of Spiderverse love but why is nobody going to bat for the actual best Spider-Man movie, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2.
With how much people seemingly love Raimi's Spider-Man films, I'm starting to get an itch to rewatch them for the first time since their theatrical releases.

Oct 31, 2017
Despite my gloating it's not impossible. There's always a deal to be done, just look at Spider-Man in the MCU in the first place.

It's just whether Igor and Fiege want to deal with Rothman taking them to the cleaners. It must be something to have a juggernaut like Disney over a barrel.

I'm guessing Disney won't bend much on the 50/50 thing. Like I said I didn't expect them to come this aggressive, but given that they did, they want the license fully back in house sooner rather than later. And again I think the 50/50 is co financing and co ownership of the license.

So Disney asked Sony to help co-finance future solo movies, right? They didn´t ask for any profits? So stupid on Sony's part. The MCU movies are guaranteed to make bank. Seems like Sony was willing to work with Marvel/Disney only as long as they didn't have to put a cent, didn't have to bother making the movies themselves while getting all the profits.

I doubt they said co finance and you keep all the profits. That's a good way for your stock to take a nosedive. My guess is 50/50 finance, 50/50 profit, 50/50 ownership of the license, Sony still distributor (i.e. 8-9% of the gross) and creative control. Sony still controls when and which movies get released.

marvel gets 5% of the first dollar gross. they want a 50/50 cofinance. hmmm

I think the article is wrong on that. As early as FY 2018 Disney specified that they pay a percentage of the gross to Sony. This is from the 2011 contract, which got amended to reduce the amount in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.