• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
You're not talking about the skeleton found in the smokestack to drag out the clone saga for another few months?

Search me

I didn't know about that, but it's an amusing coincidence.

I was referring to how EON had James Bond kill off Blofeld (who was only seen from behind) in an opening sequence, once they lost the fight over rights to him.

Oct 31, 2017
so apparently tom unfollowed sony on Instagram
vxmm9hj5hsh31.jpg

This might be a nothingburger. Did he follow them before?

Oct 25, 2017
So basically Disney got greedy, right?
Disney may be the aggressor here but from my point of view I'm not really seeing any bad guys. Just negotiation struggles with reasonable hesitation on both sides. With both sides standing very firm. I understand both arguments.

Disney initially made a deal that was obviously lopsided in Sony's favor when all was said and done. They get to use the character, sure, but Sony gets almost all the cash. They totally rolled over for Sony. For fans that's neat, for worldbuilding it's been beneficial in supporting their narrative, but Disney is a business. Ultimately their labor is in service of fat returns.

So now they're revisiting that deal and being like, hey Sony, we're the ones literally making the damn things and you guys are just sitting on your asses sipping margaritas and collecting 2 billion fuckin dollars. Shit aint fair, this is a lot of work for us. Can we like, split it 50/50 going forward?

And Sony puts down their margaritas and is like...why the fuck would we agree to NOT get a billion dollars for nothing? Why would anyone agree to that? We already made a deal, if you don't like it, you shouldn't have agreed to it. No takey backsies. We don't need you, you need us. Get outta here.

So looking at this from a fan perspective, obviously I'm like fuuuuuuuck you sony i want my em-see-yoo spodermin I NEED TO SEE HOW THEY FOLLOW UP JJ I FEEL IT IN MY BOOOOONES I NEEDS IT. And obviously as a fan I don't want Sony's grubby fingers back in control.
However while I empathize with Disney's tough position here, looking at this from a business perspective divorced from emotional attachment I'm like, yeah I can see why Sony wouldn't just agree to have less money out of the kindness of their hearts. Why would they?

What I'm hoping for is that negotiations continue and that they can eventually meet somewhere in the middle after deciding that the deal really is beneficial for the both of them. But Spider-man tends to make money regardless, so Sony could just as easily decide that any sort of split isn't in their best interest and take their ball home. And on the other hand, it seems Disney is playing hard ball right now and won't settle for anything less. Stalemate.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Creatively, I don't see how any Spider-Man fan prefers Sony has full control over the franchise rather than Marvel Studios these days.
Am I not a Spider-man fan for not enjoying Marvel Studios take on the character? Not that I think Sony will do much better now, especially if they focus on the Venoverse stuff, but at least they gave me interpretations I enjoyed before.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Owning an iPhone does not make you part of high society any more than watching a Marvel movie does lol. Good lord. Projecting much?

People are going to see Marvel movies because they're generally good, fun to watch, and build hype for the next one. Maybe you suffer through watching these movies and have therefore come to the conclusion that the only reason anyone would ever want to see these things is out of forced social obligations, but that says more about you than anyone else.
Ok, it's great that you watch MCU films because you like them, everyone is different. Some people are more susceptible to peer pressure or 'social obligations' as you put it than others. But it's not great that disney is using you as a fan to push their will on other studios.

Sony might not have a great track record with films according to some people but they should be given a chance to create their own cinematic universe with the spider-man property because competition is always good.

triple down.. holy shit.
Why would you think I would say something else.

Oct 31, 2017
If this completely falls through any chance Marvel/Disney retaliates and does something with Insomniac's Spiderman series?

People want to say no, but there's always a chance. People also said no way Sony pulls Spider-man off the MCU yet here we are.

From what some reports are saying Iger is involved. If it's gone this high up then all bets are off IMO, especially considering how much money MS and Google would pay to get the license. Of course it depends on the contract that was signed in 2017. The one with Lucas and EA was for 10 years.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
It would be really interesting if Disney came out of this developing a Disney+ live series with Holland and all the same actors and very publicly says "this is the continuation of MCU Spider-Man, the films might have Tom and all that but they are officially non-canon side stories".

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
This deal was never going to hold forever, he was in 5 mcu movies which is more than I ever expected but since Sony owns the rights they don't have to play ball with what Disney wants, so if they want more money from this character then they should buy the rights back.

Last edited:

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It would be really interesting if Disney came out of this developing a Disney+ live series with Holland and all the same actors and very publicly says "this is the continuation of MCU Spider-Man, the films might have Tom and all that but they are officially non-canon side stories".

I don't think that's possible.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Disney wanting more money and/or creative control doesn't make them the ones at fault. The original deal is very clearly slanted towards the Sony side. Marvel Studios delivered the biggest film in Sony history and got a measly 5%. No matter how you slice it, that's a shit deal.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I know you joke but that's pretty much how it is. It's like owning an iPhone in order to be considered a part of high society. Groups of people get together and go see the latest MCU film because it's in style and everyone is talking about it, makes one feel like a part of the group. Not saying that it's wrong but we shouldn't deny what is going on.

now this is hilarious.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welcoming brand new and totally original hero Night Monkey to the MCU, who will be played by this new, exciting young actor Hom Tolland.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
How do you figure that the fault lies with Disney?
The rumored demands from Disney were kind of rediculous

50/50 cut of all profits
Wanted a cut of profits from Spidey related projects that weren't even MCU related
Disney still keeps all merchandise revenue

There's no reason for Sony to agree to that since it does nothing but hurt them.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I know you joke but that's pretty much how it is. It's like owning an iPhone in order to be considered a part of high society. Groups of people get together and go see the latest MCU film because it's in style and everyone is talking about it, makes one feel like a part of the group. Not saying that it's wrong but we shouldn't deny what is going on.

Holy shit! I'm high society!

I'll be right back, I just have to call my mom and tell her!

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure that extra money will be going to their hard working underpaid workers and not the executive team.

No, they'll go towards executives. Both of these companies are soulless capitalist ventures, assessing the Spider-man deal doesn't change that fact. Commenting on a business deal doesn't mean that you endorse a company's practices.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, it's great that you watch MCU films because you like them, everyone is different. Some people are more susceptible to peer pressure or 'social obligations' as you put it than others. But it's not great that disney is using you as a fan to push their will on other studios.

Sony might not have a great track record with films according to some people but they should be given a chance to create their own cinematic universe with the spider-man property because competition is always good.

Why would you think I would say something else.

because what you are saying is idiotic, and generalize every people who goes to watch these movies.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Am I not a Spider-man fan for not enjoying Marvel Studios take on the character? Not that I think Sony will do much better now, especially if they focus on the Venoverse stuff, but at least they gave me interpretations I enjoyed before.
If Raimi was still there sure maybe, but I used "these days" for a reason. You yourself said you don't think Sony will do much better now.

I'd rather have Spider-Man in the hands of Marvel Studios given the overall track record. I love Spider-Man 2, but those days are gone. I love what we have now as well and I don't trust Sony not to fuck it up...again.

Plus, there's so much potential left for Spider-Man in the MCU. I much rather see him interact with Wolverine, Human Torch, and Deadpool over Venom

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People enjoy being with other people and that's fine. I'm not arguing against that or anything really, the MCU is well liked by a lot of people and I accept it. I just wish people would understand how it came to that, how marketing and peer pressure played a role. It plays a role for a lot of things which is why I compared it to owning an iPhone.

But in this case Disney is using their fans, which is wrong, in order to accomplish a beneficial deal for themselves.

they definitely leveraged the public backlash, proof is in the pudding on that one

but your other tin foil hat nonsense is hilarious. those poor innocent children being pressured into enjoying an entertainment medium. what new lows will we succumb to next??? I remember one time when I was in grade school and one of my friends recommended that I play Pokemon. I took their recommendation, played Pokemon, and enjoyed it. it was the worst day of my life.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Disney wanting more money and/or creative control doesn't make them the ones at fault. The original deal is very clearly slanted towards the Sony side. Marvel Studios delivered the biggest film in Sony history and got a measly 5%. No matter how you slice it, that's a shit deal.

Also with no risk to them.

They don't have to work for lesser profits, but neither does Sony have to give up valuable IP they paid for, either.

CookieMonster

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, but Sony owns the movie rights to Spider-Man. They can choose however much they want to share with Disney/Marvel.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

How would Sony making movies with Spiderman, which is a Marvel character, possibly be competition? Yes, Sony is a different Studio but they're not competing with Marvel Studios for fans or tickets unless they open directly against a Marvel Studio film (which they won't do).

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does Disney own the animated Spider-Man TV rights or all Spider-Man TV rights? Because a live-action Disney+ Spider-Man street-level TV series would actually probably be better than the movies, but the character would never be able to appear in the movies anyway because Sony has those rights.

After looking back into it, it actually looks like it's in question.

The last official documentation mentioned a 2011 agreement that show Disney has animated right and Sony has live action TV rights, but there are rumors there have been some updates and horsetrading since Spidey has arrived in the MCU.

Supposedly 2019 is the renegotiation year for Marvel and Sony in regards to Spiderman, and it potentially extends outside of just movie based concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.