• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The rumored demands from Disney were kind of rediculous

50/50 cut of all profits
Wanted a cut of profits from Spidey related projects that weren't even MCU related
Disney still keeps all merchandise revenue

There's no reason for Sony to agree to that since it does nothing but hurt them.

Are you sure you got that right? Is there a link available?

Also with no risk to them.

They don't have to work for lesser profits, but neither does Sony have to give up valuable IP they paid for, either.

I would say that co-financing is assuming half of the risk.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If this falls through it only hurts Sony, Marvel and Disney will just move on.

And that's the cold hard reality regardless of personal affinity or animus towards Disney.

They are putting up billion-dollar hit after hit, they just released the highest-grossing film of all time and they haven't even started the Star Wars blitz, with TROS looking to make between 1.3 – 1.5 billion easily.

Disney shits Sony profits at this point.

Tony Montana

Oct 27, 2017
Disney wanting more money and/or creative control doesn't make them the ones at fault. The original deal is very clearly slanted towards the Sony side. Marvel Studios delivered the biggest film in Sony history and got a measly 5%. No matter how you slice it, that's a shit deal.
There's wanting more money and then there's a 50% cut. They were not negotiating in good faith with that kind of offer.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
The rumored demands from Disney were kind of rediculous

50/50 cut of all profits
Wanted a cut of profits from Spidey related projects that weren't even MCU related
Disney still keeps all merchandise revenue

There's no reason for Sony to agree to that since it does nothing but hurt them.

These are not the rumored terms of Disney's deal.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure you got that right? Is there a link available?
deadline.com

Disney-Sony Standoff Ends Marvel Studios & Kevin Feige’s Involvement In ‘Spider-Man’

Disney-Sony Standoff Spins Web Of Doubt Over Kevin Feige's 'Spider-Man' Future
It's obviously not 100% confirmed
Disney asked that future Spider-Man films be a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between the studios, and there were discussions that this might extend to other films in the Spider-Man universe. Sony turned that offer down flat.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if Disney...buys Marvel?

Disney has become a fat swollen blog sucking up companies as it grows fat with power, maybe it can consume Sony and then ingest the rights required.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This deal was never going to hold forever, he was in 5 mcu movies which is more than I ever expected but since Sony owns they don't have to play ball with what Disney wants, so if they want more money from this character then they should buy the rights back.

I'm sure Disney would love to buy the film rights back from Sony but they'd never sell.

Sony Pictures is going to have to fold for that to happen.

FateShirou

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
MCU Spider-Man is hands down the best rendition of Spider-Man we've had, he deserves to be in his real home. Keep Spider-Man in Marvel.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Disney clearly had a hand in rejuvenating the character for the big screen. From SM3 to ASM2 Sony has mishandled the property. While you can point to SM3 making more than Homecoming, you also have to realize SM3 cost way more than Homecoming to make. Homecoming probably made a larger profit. And we know how well the ASM movies did in profit....

Disney has to give away their toys whenever a Spidey film needs to be made. They give away their internal resources to a project they barely get any returns on when they could have used said resources on their own projects for maximum returns. Add in the fact Sony wants a Spidey movie every 2 years and the MCU delving into TV shows and having to integrate the X-Men and you can see why Disney wanted a larger piece of the pie. A Spidey films results in their own schedule having to be shifted and they need to see a reason why that happens especially because they have no team up films planned.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
There's wanting more money and then there's a 50% cut. They were not negotiating in good faith with that kind of offer.

No such cut has been confirmed though. I agree that 50% is a tad too high.

deadline.com

Disney-Sony Standoff Ends Marvel Studios & Kevin Feige’s Involvement In ‘Spider-Man’

Disney-Sony Standoff Spins Web Of Doubt Over Kevin Feige's 'Spider-Man' Future
It's obviously not 100% confirmed

Thanks, I already read that. I thought there was confirmation from a trusted source.

Did they co-finance? I thought that was all (or mostly) Sony.

They proposed to co-finance the next Spider-man films.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The only way I see them doing an MCU-less Holland Spidey is with a full-on reboot. He's too engrained into the MCU to carry on.

I'm willing to bet they'll figure out a way to keep him in. If not... I doubt they'll keep Holland on.
Of course they will. He is the face of the franchise right now and there is absolutely zero reason to not keep him around. They have Holland and the director of his two movies on board already for the next one.

They also still have the rights to everything that happened in Homecoming and FFH -- those are their movies. They can just keep the world exactly as is or just make a change or two. People are making it seem far more difficult than it needs to be. He just needs to battle new villains and hang out with his friends -- this is what Spider-Man is about. The rest is window dressing.

But honestly, this is all moot -- they will come to a compromise that is nowhere near Disney's offer because it wasn't done in good faith.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder that the poor small underdog indie company Sony is actually a much larger company than Disney.

Oct 25, 2017
It puzzled me why people were blinding defending Sony on this no matter what-then it dawned on me. We are on a video game site. They are Sony fanboys-I feel foolish for not seeing it before. Any other site right now and you don't see this "Major corporation picking on poor old Sony" mentality.
Hey aren't you the guy who made a massive thread keeping tabs on people who said Ant-Man looked bad and tried to mock them for it

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If Disney is willing to assume 50% of the financing then they deserve an equal share of the profits given that Sony benefits from setting their films in the MCU.

What Sony should do is work out a deal that gets their other Marvel IP's into the MCU with Feige and company helping produce and oversee production.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Here's the thing. I'm not surprised this happened....

With as big a property as Spider-Man and with ownership split between two companies (Disney and Sony)

It was only a matter of time before one of them wanted more of the profits.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, it's great that you watch MCU films because you like them, everyone is different. Some people are more susceptible to peer pressure or 'social obligations' as you put it than others. But it's not great that disney is using you as a fan to push their will on other studios.

These movies consistently have A-rating cinemascores. Audiences like them. They would not keep turning out -- in increasingly higher numbers -- to see them if they didn't like what they were seeing. You clearly are someone who doesn't like them and get dragged into them by friends or family. If that's the case, I'm sorry for the two-hour pain rituals you're forced to undergo at the movie theater every six or so months. But you're the outlier here. Most people are not being forced against their will to watch Marvel movies or pretend to like them. They genuinely want to watch them and genuinely like them.

Sony might not have a great track record with films according to some people but they should be given a chance to create their own cinematic universe with the spider-man property because competition is always good.

Putting aside the two previous Spider-Man movie series Sony has already produced (three if we want to count Spider-Verse), I want to point out this whole "competition is good" talking point is such nonsense. Disney co-producing, or not, Spider-Man movies is not some market consolidating monopoly. Superhero movies are a genre, they aren't the means of producing and distributing cinema itself.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
I don't think asking to go in 50/50 on the Spider Man franchise, when the current success of Spider Man is 100% because of your efforts and the other company has basically just been holding your flagship character hostage for money.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nothing is impossible when it comes to Disney buying things.

True but Sony has to be willing to relinquish those rights and currently, they want to continue making comic book films. Even without the MCU Spider-Man can generate hundreds of millions of dollars in potential revenue (or more) and Sony knows that even if they aren't an official part of he MCU they can piggyback off it indirectly and reap the benefits.

Personally, I don't think Sony would sell the rights back unless they were in such dire financial straights that they had no other choice.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course they will. He is the face of the franchise right now and there is absolutely zero reason to not keep him around. They have Holland and the director of his two movies on board already for the next one.

After End Game, I feel like the MCU Spiderman character is meant to fill in the void left. Like going forward, he will develop into the main character of the MCU much like Iron Man was.

Did you mean Sony? lol.

...yeah, ah well. :/

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit! I'm high society!

I'll be right back, I just have to call my mom and tell her!
If you are a celebrity and don't own an iPhone then other celebrities shun you. Kinda like not being an MCU fan on this forum.

they definitely leveraged the public backlash, proof is in the pudding on that one

but your other tin foil hat nonsense is hilarious. those poor innocent children being pressured into enjoying an entertainment medium. what new lows will we succumb to next??? I remember one time when I was in grade school and one of my friends recommended that I play Pokemon. I took their recommendation, played Pokemon, and enjoyed it. it was the worst day of my life.
I didn't say that's its wrong, every company does it. They rely on marketing and word of mouth to get people to consume a product. The problem is once fans stop realizing that they are being taken advantage of.

How would Sony making movies with Spiderman, which is a Marvel character, possibly be competition? Yes, Sony is a different Studio but they're not competing with Marvel Studios for fans or tickets unless they open directly against a Marvel Studio film (which they won't do).
They've already established the Sony Marvel Universe.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Hey aren't you the guy who made a massive thread keeping tabs on people who said Ant-Man looked bad and tried to mock them for it

Lol, not the best guy to be calling out 'fanboys'

A mad lack of self awareness in a lot of ppl in this thread. From tweets to shit like this. Spiderman has ppl going nuts

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
We were discussing the last two. They were at no risk on those.

I'm sure lots of companies would like to "co finance" some upcoming movies. I'd love to get in on some myself!

Ah sorry, I thought we were talking about the next ones. Yeah they didn't finance those, although I would argue that Marvel Studios producing a movie of another studio's IP for miniscule profit instead of working on a project fully owned by Marvel does have a cost. Marvel Studios potentially lost hundreds of millions of dollars by working on Sony IP instead of a new MCU film.

Status
Not open for further replies.