• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
People keep misreading part of the deal. Disney offered to co-finance with Sony 50/50. Right now, Sony finances the movies 100% with Marvel getting a cut. We don't know what the box office distribution was going to be.

It'd still be more in Disney's favor than their measly 5% before, but Sony didn't counter-offer. At all.

A 50% co-finance means they'd get 50% of the receipts. That's how those deals work. I don't think anyone is misreading that.
This "50/50 Profits split" bullshit REALLY needs to stop. The only 50/50 split that was ever reported on, was a 50/50 split of production costs, and that's in FAVOUR of Sony, who had the 100% for the last two films.

The confirmation bias of some people is driving me up a wall.

I mean there's only one reason in the world you put in half the costs. So you own half the movie which means...half the profits.

That's what a cofi deal is.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
This "50/50 Profits split" bullshit REALLY needs to stop. The only 50/50 split that was ever reported on, was a 50/50 split of production costs, and that's in FAVOUR of Sony, who had the 100% for the last two films.

Can you confirm this?

Articles I read position Disney as demanding 50% of the B/O returns. I've been harsh on Disney but I'm open to being wrong.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
It is Sony's character. Marvel is asking to use Sony's character. Repeat, Marvel is asking to use Sony's character. 50/50 is never going to happen. I think some of you are just ignoring economies of scale as well -- if you get a much, much smaller piece of a bigger pie, then a smaller pie that you get more of is a better pie. Marvel has zero rights to use Spider-Man in a movie. They are the party to a deal here -- not Sony. You don't get to dictate terms of an agreement when you're the one who is asking to come into it. Sony is Marvel's boss here.

I am struggling to understand why this is so difficult for some people to understand. Sony should not and will not allow Marvel/Disney to bully them. For the good of the film industry and the entertainment industry in general, there needs to be companies who are willing to not just bow before Disney.

It's Marvel's character and Sony's Film Rights. Neither is anyone's boss. This has no implications on the greater film industry at all. Sony also has more Entertainment divisions, even if Disney is a larger company overall.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is my understanding as well. I thought it was 50/50 on the production cost.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
A 50% co-finance means they'd get 50% of the receipts. That's how those deals work. I don't think anyone is misreading that.

I mean there's only one reason in the world you put in half the costs. So you own half the movie which means...half the profits.

Do you have a source on this? Or is it just gonna stay baseless "it's obviously this you guys!" Co-Finance is ALL about costs.

Can you confirm this?

Articles I read position Disney as demanding 50% of the B/O returns. I've been harsh on Disney but I'm open to being wrong.

Show me those articles. The one in the OP doesn't claim that at all. Every single article I read is about Co-Financing, and NOT 50% of the box office returns. The article in the OP even EXPLICITLY mentions that it's unknown what Disneys actual demands were.

Hell, even Sony themselves don't confirm this, THEIR reason for the split was "Feige doesn't have time for this project", why would they be quiet about an outrageous offer like that if that would put them instantly back on the goodwill of fans?

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Or a copy/paste campaign some fans started. Wouldn't be the first time.

No it's not a "logical conclusion", it's an assumption being sold as fact. Everyone who's peddling this drivel is actively spreading misinformation.
It's a reasonable assumption far more reasonable than thinking disney were offering to take half the risk but only partake in something like 20% of the profit. There's no logical reason why 1) diseny would do that and 2) Sony would disagree if it was wildly in their favor.

The initial deals production budget split lined up with first budget split

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People like to think of the corporations making the pop culture they consume as people deserving of properties. Once Fox was gobbled up they put aside the thousands of jobs being lost.

Fox going under sucked but it was going to happen either way.

I'm glad that at the very least they were able to consolidate some of their IP's in the process.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
It is Sony's character. Marvel is asking to use Sony's character. Repeat, Marvel is asking to use Sony's character. 50/50 is never going to happen. I think some of you are just ignoring economies of scale as well -- if you get a much, much smaller piece of a bigger pie, then a smaller pie that you get more of is a better pie. Marvel has zero rights to use Spider-Man in a movie. They are the party to a deal here -- not Sony. You don't get to dictate terms of an agreement when you're the one who is asking to come into it. Sony is Marvel's boss here.

I am struggling to understand why this is so difficult for some people to understand. Sony should not and will not allow Marvel/Disney to bully them. For the good of the film industry and the entertainment industry in general, there needs to be companies who are willing to not just bow before Disney.

Asking to go in 50/50 on the Spider Man franchise is not bullying. Marvel is making these movies for Sony and Sony is getting all the profits from them. It's not bullying to want to just go all in together on the Spider Man franchise including other Spider Man characters.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking Spider-Man, which as far as I know was made as it exists today entirely by Stan and Steve. Seems like you're trying to make this into something else.

They were created by actual people, not whatever faceless corporation Marvel is now. So if we are playing the card of who "deserves" what, let's hand these characters back to the men and women who actually created them, and their families. But we don't. Their creations became property of Marvel due to the nature of business and contracts. Just like the movie rights became property of Sony. Deserves gots nothing to do with it.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can you confirm this?

It was in the original article posted here. It was 50/50 cofinancing that could potentially spread to other Sony Marvel films outside of Spider-Man

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017

So do we think Disney are actually using bots?

vQm1L7M.png

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not celebrating that, I love Spider-man - he's my one of my favourite super heroes (beside Nightcrawler, Hawkeye and Wolverine). Sony have all the power here, I would love for them to share it with Disney just to keep this good thing going but I am really uncomfortable with Disney trying to use vitriol and hatred on social media to try and put pressure on Sony. If Disney want it, then pay the piper. They won't though, so Sony can do whatever they want with the IP.

The comments by Jeremy Renner and such show exactly what Disney's plan here is. They want the IP, but they want it to get it as cheaply as possible - which I can't begrudge, but fuck monopolies.

I completely agree. I don't like what Disney is doing at all.

Even if I think that makes sense for Marvel to have the rights to use him since he is a Marvel character I don't like monopolies and trying to bully Sony using the audience is gross.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I would like if Marvel had control of the characters they created. I don't think there's anything wrong with that and if the company hadn't sold those assets years ago it would be the reality.

That said, the idea that it's okay for Disney to own half the movie industry just because of Marvel is ridiculous. Yes those characters should be in control of Marvel since those are their characters in the end but losing Fox and trying to screw Sony Pictures to get there is not worth it.

I mean, if they didn't sell. Would Marvel still be here in this way? On the one hand yeah, they can' t use all the characters they'd want to, however like they got this far and are basically a cultural icon. Unfortunately, it had, and will continue having a price.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017

Yall killimg me with this. It's not "Sony's" anything. It's Marvels character. Everything story wise and character wise comes ftom Marvel, which is owned by Disney.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
They were created by actual people, not whatever faceless corporation Marvel is now. So if we are playing the card of who "deserves" what, let's hand these characters back to the men and women who actually created them, and their families. But we don't. Their creations became property of Marvel due to the nature of business and contracts. Just like the movie rights became property of Sony. Deserves gots nothing to do with it.
If we're going to play that game you could do that with almost any property under the sun. Like, that's a problem not exclusive to this one situation lol. But sure, take deserve out of the equation. When it comes to who I think will do a better job with the property?

Disney and Marvel Studios full stop. I think it's better for the character

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, if they didn't sell. Would Marvel still be here in this way? On the one hand yeah, they can' t use all the characters they'd want to, however like they got this far and are basically a cultural icon. Unfortunately, it had, and will continue having a price.

I agree. Marvel isn't suffering because of it, far from it.

What I'm saying is, in principle, it makes sense for Marvel to own the rights to their characters. Of course things are more complicated than that and they aren't suffering from not having the film rights to Spider-Man so whatever.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's a reasonable assumption far more reasonable than thinking disney were offering to take half the risk but only partake in something like 20% of the profit. There's no logical reason why 1) diseny would do that and 2) Sony would disagree if it was wildly in their favor.

The initial deals production budget split lined up with first budget split

It's nothing but an assumption people are peddling as a fact. Alternate Facts if you so will. Sony said nothing about Disney wanting too much of the shares, their statement is out there. Stop making things up.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Fox was selling their shit anyway. Your choice was them selling to Comcast or Disney.

Neither were great options but one would have resulted in a company seizing both the means of producing a large percentage of entertainment while also controlling the means of distributing it.

That would have resulted in what is ACTUALLY A MONOPOLY.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Don't bend the knee, Sony.

70/30 in renegotiations or you walk again, all the while reminding the Mouse that this is all Marvel's fault. :DDD

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Marvel owns the character. The only thing Sony owns is the film rights.
For movies, it is their character. Marvel has absolutely no say in the matter.

It's Marvel's character and Sony's Film Rights. Neither is anyone's boss. This has no implications on the greater film industry at all. Sony also has more Entertainment divisions, even if Disney is a larger company overall.
It's Sony's character in films. Doesn't matter outside of film.

This is soooo unbelievably wrong that it isn't even funny. If Disney again makes another major player in the film industry just kowtow to them because they can, it has no implications on the industry at large?

We should not be cheering on bullies. Ever.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Lol right? As if Disney was like "hey, we want to cover half the cost of the movie for no reason, oh what, you dont want that deal Sony cause it only benefits you? Well F you then!"

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If we're going to play that game you could do that with almost any property under the sun. Like, that's a problem not exclusive to this one situation lol. But sure, take deserve out of the equation. When it comes to who I think will do a better job with the property?

Disney and Marvel Studios full stop. I think it's better for the character

I'm not arguing about who would do a better job with the property. I'm referring to people both in this thread and on twitter over the last day who have been whining about how it's not fair that Marvel doesn't have control over their own character. Just like it's not fair that the actual creators of these characters haven't been able to reep the rewards of their creations being turned into billion dollar IPs. If they wanted control they shouldn't have sold the rights away. It's either business or it isn't.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

So do we think Disney are actually using bots?

Are we sure Disney did this, and not an angry fan who really doesn't want Spider-Man out of the MCU? I wouldn't be surprised either way.

What did Sony get from Spider-Man appearing in Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame?
An even more popular brand. Obviously Spider-Man isn't popular because of the MCU, but he's even more popular and relevant now because of it. Which means the brand is worth more money to Sony now, but at the cost of being more tied to the rest of Marvel's brands in the public conscience now as opposed to being standalone like before.

Status
Not open for further replies.