• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
ECcs2vUVUAEN6sG

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
wait

does sony not own the video game rights to spider man?

and they just bought insomniac yesterday?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, Marvel has the game rights? Hmmm

Disney tries to negotiate with Sony

Sony won't play ball

Marvel tries withholding Spider-Man rights as a chip, threatens the sequel as a multiplat/Xbox exclusive

Sony buys Insomniac so defang the threat

I don't actually think this was what happened
Marvel own the game rights, but SIE have an exclusive license to standalone Spidey games. The deal also had nothing to do with the movies, so pretty big stretch from people thinking it'd be affected by this.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I doubt they said co finance and you keep all the profits. That's a good way for your stock to take a nosedive. My guess is 50/50 finance, 50/50 profit, 50/50 ownership of the license, Sony still distributor (i.e. 8-9% of the gross) and creative control. Sony still controls when and which movies get released.

I made the post under the erroneous assumption that Disney had been financing the films up to this point whereas it was actually Sony. So your post makes sense but even with a 50/50 split this would be preferable for Sony over them trying to do it themselves.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
I'm sure this will work out.

I mean, it HAS to work out or else they have to Reboot SM a 4th time.
(Cause for w/e reason, be it Sony's suggestion or w/e, THIS Spider Man is so deeply tied to a MCU character and the MCU world that to take out all references to the MCU would leave so lil on the table it would be laughable. His damn suit and that suit's AI is Stark Tech ... the Avengers and Tony are huge drivers for his character and he's bank rolled by Happy/ Left over Stark money. All his villains are related to Iron Man and Alien tech from the Avengers)

Deleted member 12028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The blowback on this will be something else. I think that's likely the point. I'm not panicking - I'm certain there will be a deal to move this forward.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's not okay to shit on people. If someone deleted their embarrassing tweet, maybe it's because they were embarrassed by it. For someone to then repost that tweet with the express intent to further mock its author... Like, you don't know what that person is going through. It's not okay and it is never okay. Surely it doesn't take someone admitting publicly that they're struggling with mental health issues for you to see any merit in sparing them public humiliation.
When they say dumb shit? Yeah it is. Why does him deleting tweets make him untouchable? People bring up deleted tweets from people who have made a fool of themselves all of the damn time. Mocking fanboys is standard practise everywhere. We have threads mocking Snyder fanboys and TLJ hating nutjobs all of the damn time. Like the dude hasnt even deleted all of the dumb shit he's posted today.

No I dont see any merit in not laughing at dumbshit fanboyism and assuming that he could have mental health issues.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Well this is a bummer. I don't trust Sony with the property. What are they going to do? Retcon everything and never mention it? Lol

Venom was garbage but still managed to make money. I'm guessing whatever they do will be more of the same. The only fluke being into the spider verse.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
There's no "allowed." Sony owns the film rights to Spider-Man and Holland is under contract with Sony.

Sony can literally do whatever they want with both, there's no "allowed" that comes into play here.
Yeah, I understand Sony owns the film rights, and they could make however many Spider-Man movies they wanted.

I just figured the Tom Holland version of the character created in partnership with Marvel and heavily integrated into the MCU might have had some limitations on it through whatever deal Marvel made with Sony, but apparently not.

Last edited:

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Fair point; honestly I think the whole balance of it depends on whether or not Disney splits further costs such as marketing 50-50. If so, then it comes out to 50-50 on profit as well and on a film with a profit like Homecoming, Sony is essentially no worse off. It all depends on the nature of the co-financing agreement, and my limited understanding of a co-financing agreement is in fact that such costs are often split. Unfortunately we just don't know the details currently.
Yeah, hard to judge without knowing details.
Though, in case that it means splitting all costs and the entire revenue 50:50, Sony would lose 50% of their profit. So they would be a lot worse off, wouldn't they?

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When they say dumb shit? Yeah it is. Why does him deleting tweets make him untouchable? People bring up deleted tweets from people who have made a fool of themselves all of the damn time. Mocking fanboys is standard practise everywhere. We have threads mocking Snyder fanboys and TLJ hating nutjobs all of the damn time. Like the dude hasnt even deleted all of the dumb shit he's posted today.

No i dont see any merit in not laughing at dumbshit fanboyism and assumin that he could have mental health issues.

I'm not saying he's untouchable, and like I said earlier, there's a way to do it. If you don't think some of the ManaByte dunks in this thread are over the top, I don't know what to tell you.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
A little more nuanced take on the situation.

Nuanced nothing. The reason they weren't hits is due to Sony's mismanagement in regards to how much they wanted ASM to be a platform to immediately launch a cinematic universe. To say "they would have been hits if they didn't cost X" doesn't let them off the hook, because that discrepancy only exists because Sony mismanaged the damn enterprise in the first place.

Sony has done NOTHING to prove that they can keep momentum from a solid first effort before cracking it up with franchise plans. The fact that they've announced a bunch of movies that are supposed to coexist with Venom and no less than two follow ups to Spiderverse on top of Lord and Miller signing a five year deal to develop this stuff for television is more than enough proof they're set they're willing to ruin whatever good will they've earned.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Off site stupidity should not be his saving grace here. The staff has banned multiple sources and sites and he should be one

It's inexcusable for a 41 year old man to behave like this and doesn't deserve to be part of this community 🤷‍♂️

No ones mad
I joined this site because I was told staff handled toxic clowns like this accordingly

User since March calling for Manabyte to be banned for a hot take, strap in buddy you're in for a long ride.

Mod post - get back on topic and cut out the derail

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This thread is about the news on Disney and Sony's negotiations on the "Spider-Man" movies. Stop bringing up off-site drama about other members and get back on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.