• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 21, 2017
Yep, that sounds about right.

It would be BAD if it didn't. It's a Disney Streaming Network. The idea sells itself, and it would take a catastrophe to mess that up. Fortunately, they didn't.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
It's worked for them in the theaters
the-mandalorian-1x01-review-ig-11-02.gif

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Could Disney+ succeed with zero original content?

I think so, though it would be a lot less appealing to people, especially investors. And it would work mainly because there would still be a steady stream of content just from their movies and the animated and live action shows from their various Disney Channels. Like think about just the content they create for XD, for instance.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Could Disney+ succeed with zero original content?
I feel like this is an odd definition of "original" content. Disney makes a helluva lot of content that's not licensed, it's just not "exclusive."

They probably could succeed with zero exclusives. Like, you think it would make a massive difference if Mandalorian or something was shown on a Disney channel on cable or FX or something they own, too?

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's only 80 million dollars. the entirity of mandalorian was more expensive. you need X subscribers to justify more content unless disney wants to inject some cash to boost content in hopes of more viewers. doesn't netflix have like over hundred million? or something like that? they can produce a lot of media and partner up because of that. if disney hovers around the 10-20 mark then you might actually see less new content produced solely for the platform
Yes streaming is a business that works only at scale, and needs alot of subs to make it work financially. I doubt any reasonable person expects D+ to peak in subs on day 1 though.

Also worth remembering that those 80 million dollars, or however much they're getting in revenue from these current subs is per month, not year

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
S1E8 of Gargoyles will always be my favorite and it's so surreal to see how heavy this show is with it's themes.

Yeah D+ is cool

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm only subscribing with the free year from Verizon and there really isn't anything interesting on the service for me other than the Mandalorian, which will be done in January. The vast majority of the Marvel TV shows are coming in 2021 so I probably wont use it much for the rest of the year.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got the bundle package.

Can use the Hulu on Switch for watching movies beside playing games.

Oct 31, 2017

I will reiterate that I think it'll go up as they:

A) Roll out Disney+ internationally
B) ESPN+ and Hulu subscription grows with the bundle
C) Roll out Hulu internationally
D) More original content comes out

I think it'll dip as is usually the case after a rally, but depending on Q1 and Q2 (after western Europe's launch) the stock might rally yet again. DIS is still a buy IMO.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I want to see what those numbers look like after the mandalorian is finished

I want to say a million+ locked in on the 3 year deal back in August/September, Disney is going to be fine. You might lose some of the non-family geek crowd, but this service is playing well with lots of families (yes it's anecdotal). Also I think the monthly rate is low enough that many families will just keep subbed in as their 'background/cartoon entertainment' option

Jul 4, 2018
It's a projection, they're known to be conservative especially when factoring in promos.

18m by 1q 2020 and what Disney reports in its earnings is the number that should be looked at. The 10m on one day means little without context when 50m people have the opportunity to get it for free through Verizon and the number aligns with the revised projections after the Verizon deal.

I have the distinct feeling that some people think D+ is going to keep adding millions of subscribers every day and hit something like 20m by the end of this year... that's not how this works. 12-13m seems likely after the day 1 numbers.
These are worldwide numbers that Disney has given from what I can tell, they still have two markets to open in this quarter Australia and New Zealand which should give them a bump and I'm sure some people are waiting for all the technical difficulties to die down before they jump in. I do expect the number the number to increase quite a bit that being said how many of the trial customers they manage to retain will be important as well. Wouldn't be shocked if they have 20 million subscribers worldwide by years end though.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I've honestly never seen anything like this. It's all people were talking about at work.

Disney somehow was able to turn the launch of a streaming service into an event.

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
Are new shows still 1 episode per week or was that changed? After getting them all at once on Netflix, it seems hard to go back to that (to me).

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of launch issues, This is easily the best streaming service available for families due to the sheer volume and range of content. Once they start producing the original Marvel/Starwars/Pixar/ etc stuff on a regular basis I don't see why anyone would drop this in favor of any of the other streaming services except maybe Netflix.

im in a beneficial place as I get Netflix free with my T-Mobile service so I'm really just paying for The bundle of this and Hulu.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should've had a Marvel show available at launch too to really complete it. Especially since fans are ravenous for a follow-up to Endgame.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It's smart because Netflix sees that people sub and unsub after binging a show. May as well stretch a series over 3 months for 3 months pay.
I think bigger than subbing and unsubbing is the amount of press and talk you can generate over a couple months compared to one drop. Especially with a series like Star Wars with dedicated fan sites and news sites reporting every little thing it'll hit people's social feeds every week.

Without weekly episodes there's almost no way I would have watched Succession. It was after weeks of seeing praise and talk on the internet that I gave in and tried it out. Star Wars should be way more potent.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I think bigger than subbing and unsubbing is the amount of press and talk you can generate over a couple months compared to one drop. Especially with a series like Star Wars with dedicated fan sites and news sites reporting every little thing it'll hit people's social feeds every week.

Without weekly episodes there's almost no way I would have watched Succession. It was after weeks of seeing praise and talk on the internet that I gave in and tried it out. Star Wars should be way more potent.
I don't believe that plays a big part in viewership. Maybe for the first season, but even then there are dedicated fandoms that speak loudly everywhere about it (CW shows) and they still drop in ratings year after year. Only a handful of shows like Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Game of Thrones, etc actually increase in viewership year over year. But still, you may be right, but it's probably due to more and more people adopting streaming rather than the shows actually increasing in quality / mindshare to where people want to watch them.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So verizon is giving a year away for unlimited data accountes but the promo site has been dead for hours. Any one get lucky?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
They've been practically giving it away. What I'll be curious to see is how many subscribers they have after a year. I know 4 people, including myself, with Disney +. We all have it from our phone carrier giving us a year of it for free.

Your carrier likely paid for the privilege with a nice fat lump sum, or bonuses based on sign-ups, or both.

it's not really effective. subs eventually get knocked down. look at wow. people stopped played and unsubbed but a lot remained just because. there's only so much someone will sub too before it either becomes costly or something better is out there.

WoW is a terrible example because millions of people are still subscribing to it today. Due to attrition, the entire genre of MMOs is more or less dead due to millions of regular MMO players being so entrenched in the one they paid for that they won't consider literally any other product.

In general, if people get used to having X available to them, they won't give it up easily as long as the price stays in "less than a Starbucks order" territory. That's why these services will do everything up to assassinations to land the rights to things like The Office; people like having shows like that on demand. Disney here will absolutely be leveraging stuff like the Vault and various kids' shows to trap parents (good luck to you if you've got a toddler who got used to always being able to watch Aladdin on Disney+ and now they can't anymore because you wouldn't pony up $7 a month to keep the access), older shows for nostalgic millennials, etc...

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I tried to make a purchase on ShopDisney about midday yesterday but they forced me to check out as a guest because their account system wasn't working. I wonder if that had to do with processing so many Disney+ subscriptions.

Come to think of it I still haven't gotten an order confirmation. Might have to contact them tomorrow if I don't receive it after the 48 hour window has ended.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
I agree with all of that, but a service that only offers cartoons and super heroes isn't going to do it. Hulu without ads combined with Disney plus's niche content would be a huge motivator though.
Yep if/when I got Hulu no ads discounted with it then I'll re-sub.

As of now using my free week to check out Mandelorian and Pixar stuff.

Will come back when the deal and new content is better