PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What is HAPPENING with this show? Didn't they just announce it was actually coming out just last week?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I guess simply removing the "Oye" from the title was not the answer to the backlash lol

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I guess simply removing the "Oye" from the title was not the answer to the backlash lol
Clarification, that was never in the title. It was always called Primos, and it's just the theme song that used "oye".

2021 thread
www.resetera.com

Disney Television orders "Primos" from "Big City Greens" director. No announced platform launch yet News - Entertainment

https://deadline.com/2021/11/disney-animated-comedy-series-primos-natasha-kline-1234866563/

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
It's kinda wild how reactionary Disney is if they get dunked on even a little. I think it might be a generational thing. Back in the day, letter writing campaigns meant something because people were taking the time to address a letter to you. It's not equivalent to a like or retweet imo

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I cannot tell whether the backlash against the show was entirely manufactured or not.

I saw people take issue with the regional Spanish and with calling the fictional setting "Earthquake town" and this somehow being offensive, but I have a feeling that very little of this was genuine outrage.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's kinda wild how reactionary Disney is if they get dunked on even a little. I think it might be a generational thing. Back in the day, letter writing campaigns meant something because people were taking the time to address a letter to you. It's not equivalent to a like or retweet imo
Disney is very image conscious. Extremely.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Clarification, that was never in the title. It was always called Primos, and it's just the theme song that used "oye".

2021 thread
www.resetera.com

Disney Television orders "Primos" from "Big City Greens" director. No announced platform launch yet News - Entertainment

https://deadline.com/2021/11/disney-animated-comedy-series-primos-natasha-kline-1234866563/

I thought that was one of the major complaints beyond the criticism of racist stereotyping? The point of my joke was that they really weren't addressing the criticism, dropping the "Oye" would have been the bare minimum which I believed they did. Turns out they did nothing at all and decided to chicken out at the eleventh hour lol

DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
EDIT: Wrong show lol. So a show called Primo and a show called Primos get delayed/cancelled on the same day?!

Last edited:

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I thought that was one of the major complaints beyond the criticism of racist stereotyping? The point of my joke was that they really weren't addressing the criticism, dropping the "Oye" would have been the bare minimum which I believed they did. Turns out they did nothing at all and decided to chicken out at the eleventh hour lol
The show's creator is Mexican-American and based it on her lived experience:

"Primos is set in childhood summers spent with my cousins under one roof, and the comedy that's borne from that wonderfully hectic setting," Kline said. "As a kid, I didn't see myself or my culture represented onscreen, so I'm excited to share my family dynamic through these new Disney characters and stories."

A lot of the backlash was weird.

"Oye isn't the grammatically correct conjugation." Lots of people and dialects break grammar rules... The main character is a kid.
"The town is called Terremoto Heights. This is a reference to the Mexico City earthquake that killed thousands!" The town is Los Angeles. Terremoto Heights is the neighborhood and a reference to how in California we add random Spanish words to make things sound fancy.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The show's creator is Mexican-American and based it on her lived experience:

"Primos is set in childhood summers spent with my cousins under one roof, and the comedy that's borne from that wonderfully hectic setting," Kline said. "As a kid, I didn't see myself or my culture represented onscreen, so I'm excited to share my family dynamic through these new Disney characters and stories."

A lot of the backlash was weird.

"Oye isn't the grammatically correct conjugation." Lots of people and dialects break grammar rules... The main character is a kid.
"The town is called Terremoto Heights. This is a reference to the Mexico City earthquake that killed thousands!" The town is Los Angeles. Terremoto Heights is the neighborhood and a reference to how in California we add random Spanish words to make things sound fancy.

All that feels salvageable though, where I feel like what they can't undo is the portrayal of the characters and how they immediately come across as the production was already completed. I can totally understand Mexican-Americans or other Hispanics going "So this is all we are to them when given a show about us?".

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
All that feels salvageable though, where I feel like what they can't undo is the portrayal of the characters and how they immediately come across as the production was already completed. I can totally understand Mexican-Americans or other Hispanics going "So this is all we are to them when given a show about us?".
Well now they'll get nothing. Is that better

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
If this is really the response we get to asking Hollywood to properly represent us then we truly are fucked
If having a Mexican woman make a show about her childhood is not proper representation to you then you need to seriously reevaluate things TBH. It's a Disney kids show which would have been great for young kids.

Last edited:

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
If having a Mexican woman make a show about her childhood is not proper representation to you then you need to seriously reevaluate things TBH. It's a Disney kids show which would have been great for young kids.
Nah I think it's perfectly fair to point out that someone who wasn't born and raised in Mexico might make mistakes when writing Mexican characters. I don't want Mexican kids to see that crap

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I think it's perfectly fair to point out that someone who wasn't born and raised in Mexico might make mistakes when writing Mexican characters. I don't want Mexican kids to see that crap
You are entitled to your opinion obviously but you are gatekeeping someone elses lived experiences because it doesn't match your own.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Well now they'll get nothing. Is that better

The series was announced in 2021... they had three years to make some thoughtful changes based on the backlash from Hispanics but made no effort on that front. So are we really going to blame the people who were offended?

They have every right to feel like the show was just perpetuating stereotypes in age where representation is far more nuanced. And if "they get nothing" then it is on Disney for not feeling it was worth putting in the elbow grease to retool it where it was no longer offensive to some.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
What was the problem with the word "oye"?

I am brand new to all this controversy and am genuinely curious because I say "oye" all the time (socal Chicano)
People who don't live there were all "omg, no one says that! Do your research Disney!!!"
And then everyone smelled blood and jumped all over it.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
The series was announced in 2021... they had three years to make some thoughtful changes based on the backlash from Hispanics but made no effort on that front. So are we really going to blame the people who were offended?

They have every right to feel like the show was just perpetuating stereotypes in age where representation is far more nuanced. And if "they get nothing" then it is on Disney for not feeling it was worth putting in the elbow grease to retool it where it was no longer offensive to some.
Isn't the series literally based on the creator's own experiences growing up as a Mexican-American?

IDK complaining that a show based on someoneś own lived experiences is 'perpetuating stereotypes' feels kinda gross ngl.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

Why would they change it? It's the creative vision of the creators childhood. That sounds infinitely worse to chop apart a unique vision for some focus group tested boring stuff.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
It is infuriating to see this happen and to see the same ignorant nonsense being parroted by some people here.

There is nothing "perfectly fair" about any of this.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
What was the problem with the word "oye"?

I am brand new to all this controversy and am genuinely curious because I say "oye" all the time (socal Chicano)
"Oye" is singular and "Primos" is plural

And continuing with the thread, if the series had a date, I doubt that backlash had anything to do with that again, looks more like Disney revaluating stuff, they just laid off people from Pixar

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the series literally based on the creator's own experiences growing up as a Mexican-American?

IDK complaining that a show based on someoneś own lived experiences is 'perpetuating stereotypes' feels kinda gross ngl.

IIRC some people felt it was full of harmful stereotypes, I remember a lot of people hating the dozens of kids living in the same home part.