• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just give me the full Disney afternoon back.

Seconded. Ducktales 1987 and Goof Troop are on there, so I'm hoping Rescue Rangers, Tailspin, Darkwing Duck and the rest are in too, at launch or shortly thereafter. Now all I need is some sugary cereal, comfy pajamas and I'll be good to drag my mattress to the living room and be 7 again.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
releasing only one episode per week for the new shows is...a choice that is not pro consumer - no surprises there - but that can work to milk those subs for longer, guess we'll see. hopeful netflix and amazon stay as they are now
Not everyone prefers the dump all the eps at once release either and lets not pretend that method isn't without its cons.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
releasing only one episode per week for the new shows is...a choice that is not pro consumer - no surprises there - but that can work to milk those subs for longer, guess we'll see. hopeful netflix and amazon stay as they are now
Calling it anti-consumer to not do what Netflix does seems a tad dramatic.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix and various other companies has been moving away from releasing every episode at once because it leads to people dropping their subs after a month.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I support Disney doing this 100%. Dumping entire seasons all at once is garbage and always will be. Week-to-week is how pretty much all television should be released.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Disney is coming out swinging with so much content that I don't mind 1 episode / week at all.

Hell, streaming services that do this should get some countdown pages on their apps to really drive up the hype for bigger series' releases.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
you can watch it at whatever pace you like, you know

but yeah, less options is super great

You can wait until it's all out so you can binge watch it then too.

Dumping it out all at once takes away from the community discussion and the longevity of that discussion. That's the con that comes with doing it that way.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I support Disney doing this 100%. Dumping entire seasons all at once is garbage and always will be. Week-to-week is how pretty much all television should be released.
There is a reason GOT and Breaking Bad are praised as the greats while also very good Prime/Netflix shows don't get the same mindshare.

The discussion from week to week or inbetween seasons made these shows way more fun than a whole season dumb. I'm all for this

Talal

Unbreakable
Oct 25, 2017
Is this service gonna be available worldwide or only in select countries when it launches ?

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Maybe it's time to stop charging extra for 4K now, eh Netflix?

The only reason Disney aren't charging for 4K is because there won't be enough 4K content on D+ to make it viable on launch. Once there is D+ will charge for UHD, it's incredibly expensive to provide compared to HD.

Is this service gonna be available worldwide or only in select countries when it launches ?

Only four countries.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
The simpsons is close to 700...

Is Mindhunters on this too! Awesome!

nope but Thats So Raven is on there so RIP NETFLIX lol

this would be so much more attractive if they threw more than family-friendly content on there as opposed to putting it on Hulu, but I understand the bundling decision they're going with which is smart.

love the idea of putting the bonus content on the service tho, it makes a streaming only future a lot more attractive with decisions like that.

BeeksElectric

Oct 25, 2017
If they do not have the entire Disney afternoon collection - Tale Spin, Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers, Gargoyles, and motherfucking Darkwing Duck - on Disney+ within the the first 3 months, they are leaving money in the table. I will absolutely pay for access to all of those.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
There is a reason GOT and Breaking Bad are praised as the greats while also very good Prime/Netflix shows don't get the same mindshare.

The discussion from week to week or inbetween seasons made these shows way more fun than a whole season dumb. I'm all for this
Indeed. I love to binge, but watching week to week and being able to talk about it with people certainly adds something you just can't get if you binge it all in 2 days, it also helps spread the show far wider than binging will ever do.

Weekly
"OMG did you see x last night"
"no but I'm watching tonight, cant wait"
Next day
"So..."
"zomg it was amaze, I must talk to everyone about it at work and on the socials"

Binge
"Have you seen Y yet, we watched it all this weekend"
"no its on the list, I'm working through x still"
some time later
"So I finally watched Y"
"dude that was months ago, I can remember key points, but not minutaie from each episode"

My issue in this day and age however is that with for example just Era, a thread might have 50 regulars in it and some of them will go to other places to discuss it too, so get exposed to other theories and speculation with people diving into imdb to discover who people are or forming bang on the nose theories that will invariably make it into the Era thread. Sometimes, you don't want to know (for example) what R+L=J means, but you end up finding out quite by accident. That goes the same for other shows too. It happened with Star Trek Discovery with people working out the truth about one character from an IMDB listing. The show makes you wonder, maybe suspect, but when you KNOW becase you read in a thread that the actor was confirmed already, it takes a little of the shine off it.

It's a difficult one to navigate sometimes.

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
I don't see how a weekly release is more or less pro-consumer than the binge model. Just look at this thread, lots of people fall on either side of the equation.

Personally, I'm all for weely: more confortable, and it allows for the shows to actually be part of the conversation and have an impact, rather than be forgotten two weeks after release. And I don't see how it takes options away from the consumer. If anything, a binge release model forces you to watch it all in one weekend if you want to feel included, wheras with a weekly series you have more weeks to catch up and still participate in the conversation.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really feel like they're being stupid with the whole 'let's split up all our content across multiple streaming platforms' approach. Their whole competitive advantage is the sheer breadth of content they can offer, going back decades.

Should have put everything they could on a single platform. I know it means the price would be increased, but I think they could compete with Netflix without undercutting on price if they used the entirety of their catalogue.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're all scattered between different channels for now. Will take a few years to claw them back to the service.

Will be interesting to see what happens in Australia. All the Marvel movies are currently on an Australian only streaming service named Stan. They signed that deal last Nov for 12 months. So there should be no rights issues for all the Marvel movies to be on Disney+ Australia at launch (which is a week after the US).

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I really feel like they're being stupid with the whole 'let's split up all our content across multiple streaming platforms' approach. Their whole competitive advantage is the sheer breadth of content they can offer, going back decades.

Should have put everything they could on a single platform. I know it means the price would be increased, but I think they could compete with Netflix without undercutting on price if they used the entirety of their catalogue.

Unfortunately, the corporate thought process is "Jesus fuck, we have so much god damn content. We can't just give it all away on ONE platform!"

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017

Unfortunately, the corporate thought process is "Jesus fuck, we have so much god damn content. We can't just give it all away on ONE platform!"

Nah, I think you both have got it wrong. This is more about isolating the Disney brand and keeping the more family friendly content in it's own self contained service and app. Think about it, do you honestly expect them to advertise something like "Watch Poltergeist, exclusively on Disney+!" No, they won't. That's what Hulu is for.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I think you both have got it wrong. This is more about isolating the Disney brand and keeping the more family friendly content in it's own self contained service and app. Think about it, do you honestly expect them to advertise something like "Watch Poltergeist, exclusively on Disney+!" No, they won't. That's what Hulu is for.

Yeah, they basically want you to be able to plop Junior in front of Disney+ and keep 'em occupied for hours without ever worrying about the content.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. I love to binge, but watching week to week and being able to talk about it with people certainly adds something you just can't get if you binge it all in 2 days, it also helps spread the show far wider than binging will ever do.

Weekly
"OMG did you see x last night"
"no but I'm watching tonight, cant wait"
Next day
"So..."
"zomg it was amaze, I must talk to everyone about it at work and on the socials"

Binge
"Have you seen Y yet, we watched it all this weekend"
"no its on the list, I'm working through x still"
some time later
"So I finally watched Y"
"dude that was months ago, I can remember key points, but not minutaie from each episode"

My issue in this day and age however is that with for example just Era, a thread might have 50 regulars in it and some of them will go to other places to discuss it too, so get exposed to other theories and speculation with people diving into imdb to discover who people are or forming bang on the nose theories that will invariably make it into the Era thread. Sometimes, you don't want to know (for example) what R+L=J means, but you end up finding out quite by accident. That goes the same for other shows too. It happened with Star Trek Discovery with people working out the truth about one character from an IMDB listing. The show makes you wonder, maybe suspect, but when you KNOW becase you read in a thread that the actor was confirmed already, it takes a little of the shine off it.

It's a difficult one to navigate sometimes.

Agreed. Also discussion online sucks too. I'd rather talk about a single episode at a time with everyone rather than put episode specifics in spoiler tags in OTs or only talk about the season as a whole.