tabris

Oct 27, 2017
They would have been mandated soon anyways with California minimum wage increases by 2022.

Not really impressed. But hey nice for the workers for right now.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the workers who got a 33% raise four years ahead of time aren't impressed either.

18149.jpg

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
They would have been mandated soon anyways with California minimum wage increases by 2022.

Not really impressed. But hey nice for the workers for right now.
Still nice for the workers to get that four years early.

But yeah not really impressed that it took Disney this long considering they raise annual pass and ticket prices every single year or sometimes even more often. The prices are so ridiculous now that I don't see how anyone but the upper-middle class can even really afford to go to Disney.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the workers who got a 33% raise four years ahead of time aren't impressed either.

Disneyland could do more though! They are making insane profits and it's union.

Isn't the minimum wage going to be $12-13 in a year? That's not 33%.

Also it's odd for a union based role to be minimum wage.

Oct 25, 2017
That's great and all, but isn't it more like:

Union wins massive victory, secures living wage for nearly 10,000 workers.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
I always thought they made that or more already. How the hell can they afford to live in Cali on that?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I understand the need to raise minimum wage to a livable wage, and that Anaheim and Orange County (and heck, all of SoCal) are super expensive. But where does the expectation that Disneyland itself should raise wages because Disneyland is so expensive, or because Disney makes profits, come from?

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Keep in mind, this only affects union.

Those people sweating their asses off in a 49lbs costume to make your kid's dream of meeting Pluto come true? Not union.

It's one of those things where I have no idea what the fair way to go about things like this would be.

syndicalist

Oct 25, 2017
Note that there is an initiative on the upcoming ballot in Anaheim that will require city-subsidized resort companies to raise their minimum wage to $15 next year and $18 per hour in 2022. While I think the union's success should be commended, Disney may be acting to interfere and dissipate whatever momentum their may be for this initiative.

Regardless, a friend of mine just got a $2.50 immediate raise and he's been working their for years. This is going to help a hell of a lot of people here and now, and that's great.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the money Disney makes, it is a sad commentary that this is even an announcement that needed to be made

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, an extra 8k a year isn't exactly anything to scoff at but considering the average rent prices in that area...

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I always thought they made that or more already. How the hell can they afford to live in Cali on that?

I don't know anyone in California who doesn't live with family, or roommates. My 43 year old cousin could probably live on his own with his two jobs, but he's poised to inherit a house in Marina Del Rey($$$), so why leave?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I think you misunderstood me. This raise is going straight to landlords. Any further raise is going to go straight to landlords. The complete and total scarcity of housing in LA metro means a $100 minimum wage goes straight to landlords.

No no no no no I didn't. This $15 raise is a good thing for people living in their cars, that cant afford to eat and other basic needs, like food. People aren't living in homes, they are living on couches or their vehicles. They can't afford the rent as it is. Being a person in Los angeles means that yes, you're paying rent. Isn't that obvious that most disney workers aren't owning homes in orange county? I doubt they'd be working at disney for minimum wage.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...lifornia-employees-poverty-homelessness-study

New survey finds three-quarters of employees don't earn enough for basic expenses, while one in 10 have experienced homelessness

The report suggested that two-thirds of Disneyland Resort workers are food insecure, meaning they lack a sufficient quantity of affordable, nutritious food.

They include Glynndana Shevlin, a food and beverage concierge at one of the resort hotels, meaning she serves wine and appetizers to suite guests. She has worked for Disney for 30 years.

"Food-wise I try to spend under $60 a week, but that only gives me about one meal a day," she said. She can't touch the fancy appetizers she takes up to the suites – mushroom ratatouille, teriyaki beef kabobs – and she can't afford the employee cafeteria.

So yeah, they need more money. Most americans do seeing as how half of the nation is at/below poverty level. I'm sure people would be happy to pay rent and eat food versus living in their vehicles/not being able to pay rent/eat. They can't really rely on Cali to solve the home crisis with NIMBYS everywhere. So, some extra money is a good thing.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
how are the union dues? I like that the starting wage is now $15 so a lot of people get a bump and new people start there but how much does the union get?

I feel like this is very under reported. Yay union got more money/benefits but what are the costs to the workers? Hopefully low. I want Unions to survive and thrive and I want workers to not have to pay a ton for dues because at some point people won't see the value.

I feel the same way when people complain about taxes. Most people have 0 clue as to what the return on every tax dollar spent is for them.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
So about $28,800 after taxes.
Compared to the CEO's salary:
2010 – $28 million
2011 – $33.4 million
2012- $40.2 million
2013 – $34.3 million
2014 – $46.5 million
2015 – $44.9 million
2016 – $43.9 million
2017 – $36.3 million

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
So about $28,800 after taxes.
Compared to the CEO's salary:
2010 – $28 million
2011 – $33.4 million
2012- $40.2 million
2013 – $34.3 million
2014 – $46.5 million
2015 – $44.9 million
2016 – $43.9 million
2017 – $36.3 million

Yep.

The average cost of rent is also like $2,000+ (for now) in Anaheim, which would still make a roommate or two (or 3) almost an necessity if you chose to live there.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
It's a unique situation. On one hand it's impossible to ignore the contrast between Disney's incredible profits and the wages their lowest-paid workers make, on the other I'm sure they turn away hundreds of hardcore fans people for every open position.

I wonder how much variation there is in pay for people who work in the park. I could be wrong but I assume people who do stuff like play a character are making more than $15/hr, especially for roles like the princesses where they aren't wearing a mask.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm frankly quite surprised they didn't already pay them quite a bit more.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have much experience with DLR but I worked at WDW on a paid internship and in my experience that's where the vast majority of their low level employees come from, and they wouldn't benefit from a raise like this because they're not union. I know DLR has an internship program of their own I just don't know how extensive it is.