• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
The simple fact is that with the park at 25-50% capacity there is no way the current annual pssholder program will work.

In fact, Disneyland's current ticketing protocol (non dated tickets) isn't feasible either.

we have good indications of where they are taking it though: the Flex Passport is likely the future of Disneyland tickets and passes.

I imagine Disney will move to dated tickets, we already have this to some extent with the new peak and off-peak tickets, but now it will be rigorously enforced: you will need to buy tickets for certain days at the park to prevent overcrowding.

as capacity is increased (or as they reach a point of excess capacity) they will bring back annual passes. My wager though is these will all be like the flex pass — only allowing you a couple of reservations at a time. The more expensive ones will allow Saturday's or more than just one or two visits per month. Or perhaps they will up charge you to make a reservation on holidays / Christmas week / busy Saturdays. Perhaps they will have reservations only allowing you to come in the evening hours(after 4 or 5pm).

effectively they will do more to directly control the crowds in advance so they have a more accurate thumb and pulse on the park crowd, ensuring weekends don't become miserable and incentivizing visits when the park is slower

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
Hey, I totally get this.

My wife totally becomes much happier when she's on Disney property. We're planning on retiring near a Disney property because no matter how silly it may seem to others being in the park rejuvenates her mentally.
Kinda like me in vegas

anyways the last time I had a pass was around 2005/6 when I was in college lol. That shit 400 bucks and took 2 pay checks to pay for. Got it because it my gf at the time went to cal state fullerton. We used to avoid paying for parking by parking in downtown Disney and taking the tram

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Re: the food at Disney properties, I've been lucky enough to eat at a few very-highly-regarded restaurants (The French Laundry, for one) and both the Napa Rose in California and Victoria & Albert's in Florida absolutely smoked them. I'm not even close to a foodie, but the preparation, service, and overall experience at these two locations were fantastic - enough so that we have tried to have a dinner at Napa Rose each time we make it to Disneyland.

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Re: the food at Disney properties, I've been lucky enough to eat at a few very-highly-regarded restaurants (The French Laundry, for one) and both the Napa Rose in California and Victoria & Albert's in Florida absolutely smoked them. I'm not even close to a foodie, but the preparation, service, and overall experience at these two locations were fantastic - enough so that we have tried to have a dinner at Napa Rose each time we make it to Disneyland.

V&A is very very good. So is Napa Rose. I think V&A is up there for me though probably just outside my Top 10 all time restaurant experiences. I think it'd be a solid 2 Michelin Star restaurant if not 3 if Michelin rated Orlando

WDW has a solid handful of very good restaurants.

cheduff

Oct 27, 2017
AP-Logo-2BW-300x204.jpg

Every time I see this sticker on someone's car (and I see them all the damn time in SoCal), I can't help but think about Alien vs Predator. And no one should have to think about that movie.

I just cringe when I see it. No one gives a fuck lol Disneyland loyalists are fucking weird.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
V&A is very very good. So is Napa Rose. I think V&A is up there for me though probably just outside my Top 10 all time restaurant experiences. I think it'd be a solid 2 Michelin Star restaurant if not 3 if Michelin rated Orlando

WDW has a solid handful of very good restaurants.
Absolutely. I really don't have all that much experience in the realm of fine dining (and I'm out here drinking Soylent to avoid worrying about "real food,") but we had some great meals at WDW. I loved Jiko, for example.

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Absolutely. I really don't have all that much experience in the realm of fine dining (and I'm out here drinking Soylent to avoid worrying about "real food,") but we had some great meals at WDW. I loved Jiko, for example.

jiko, Sanaa, Le cellier, California Grill, V&A's, Monsieur Paul's, Tiffins, Hollywood Brown Derby. All fantastic. Le Cellier and Tiffins are two I hit every time

and some of the mid tier and more themed restaurants are great too like the 50s prime time diner and the jungle cruise skipper canteen.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
jiko, Sanaa, Le cellier, California Grill, V&A's, Monsieur Paul's, Tiffins, Hollywood Brown Derby. All fantastic. Le Cellier and Tiffins are two I hit every time

and some of the mid tier and more themed restaurants are great too like the 50s prime time diner and the jungle cruise skipper canteen.
Ooo, Brown Derby was great! I had forgotten about that - we went for two full weeks for our honeymoon, but we're on the West Coast, and so don't really get out there often. Sanaa was good, Le Cellier didn't have much appeal for me (vegetarian, although my wife isn't and thought it was ok)...but we were both disappointed by California Grill. Maybe it was a bad night for them, but we just didn't feel like the menu was...adventurous enough? I dunno.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
When I lived in the LA area the annual pass was completely worth it. Eventually going to the parks stops being a "vacation" activity and more of a just going whenever you have free time and nothing else to do or want to just be around the parks. I'm pretty sure parking used to be included so we'd just roll up to the parks for a day of wandering around the parks, grabbing food, going on rides we felt like, maybe some merch. They cycle enough decorations, food, and merch to honestly make it worth going multiple times a month. Disneyland especially with California Adventure being right there in walking distance.

Hoping something similar replaces it once COVID is less of a concern.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I just cringe when I see it. No one gives a fuck lol Disneyland loyalists are fucking weird.
This can probably be said of all bumper stickers.

When I lived in the LA area the annual pass was completely worth it. Eventually going to the parks stops being a "vacation" activity and more of a just going whenever you have free time and nothing else to do or want to just be around the parks. I'm pretty sure parking used to be included so we'd just roll up to the parks for a day of wandering around the parks, grabbing food, going on rides we felt like, maybe some merch. They cycle enough decorations, food, and merch to honestly make it worth going multiple times a month. Disneyland especially with California Adventure being right there in walking distance.

Hoping something similar replaces it once COVID is less of a concern.

I think parking (at least when I had a pass) was "free" for the upper level of passes, though I may be getting confused with other theme parks.

We had an AP when my youngest was young enough to go for free... but as soon as we had to pay for her(and the discount for even small kids is basically nothing) we changed to just occasional tickets and making it a bigger deal (staying at the hotel, etc.). It doesn't help that the price started skyrocketing.

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
This can probably be said of all bumper stickers.

I think parking (at least when I had a pass) was "free" for the upper level of passes, though I may be getting confused with other theme parks.

We had an AP when my youngest was young enough to go for free... but as soon as we had to pay for her(and the discount for even small kids is basically nothing) we changed to just occasional tickets and making it a bigger deal (staying at the hotel, etc.). It doesn't help that the price started skyrocketing.

Yeah the high tier had free parking but 10-12 years ago you could add parking for the year.

of course, they never built the required parking garage and due to pass holders generally coming with 2 or less people per car, the parking infrastructure couldn't handle it. Not was it designed To deal with short term parking. They always imagined people in Mickey and Friends would park for at least 8-10 hours.

it got so bad employees were having to park at Angel Stadium and get shuttled in

their only solution eventually was to stop allowing parking privledges and jack the parking prices but even then, it was a mess and part of the deal with Anaheim on taxes (and with the potential demand for Galaxy's Edge) was finally building the new parking garage

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
lol. Has Knott's said anything yet?
Not yet

Knotts has been rocking mobile ordering and curbside pickup for their stores this entire time, and when the closures first happened they automatically extended our annual passes to December 31st, 2021. Those things are dirt cheap and yet Knotts still rarely, if ever, hits capacity (I think Halloween for Scary Farm and maybe Christmas are the closest they ever come).

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Universal can't fill that 2019 Casey Jr. limited edition popcorn bucket shaped hole in APs' hearts.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DarthOrange Knott's just emailed me this:

Dear 2020 and 2021 Season Passholder,

We want to thank all of our Knott's Berry Farm Season Passholders for your continued patience and support during this unprecedented time. Knowing our closures have disrupted a new year, we wanted to share some important updates to the 2020 and 2021 Season Passholder benefits:

• As announced last year, 2020 and 2021 Season Passes and purchased Season Pass Add-On Products (if applicable) will be valid for all of the 2021 season, once the park opens.
  • Additionally, we will also be offering a Day for Day Extension. For every day that the park is closed in 2021, we will extend season passes for the same amount of days in 2022. This also includes Season Pass Add-On Products (if applicable).
Our Season Passholders represent some of our most loyal guests and we want to ensure that you receive a full Season of Fun as promised when you purchased your 2020 or 2021 Season Pass. This is a very unusual time for all of us and we again thank you for your understanding and loyalty to Knott's Berry Farm.

Sincerely,

Jon Storbeck
Vice President & General Manager
Knott's Berry Farm

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
DarthOrange Knott's just emailed me this:
Knotts has been terrific during the pandemic. Very communicative and straight forward. Their outdoor events have also been great and well planned to be safe. I happened to go the last day of the Knotts Merry Farm before the stay at home order was re-installed and it was great; never felt like I was in (anymore) danger or that they should've been doing more to make it safe.

Can't say the same for how Disney has handled opening downtown.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Knotts has been terrific during the pandemic. Very communicative and straight forward. Their outdoor events have also been great and well planned to be safe. I happened to go the last day of the Knotts Merry Farm before the stay at home order was re-installed and it was great; never felt like I was in (anymore) danger or that they should've been doing more to make it safe.

Can't say the same for how Disney has handled opening downtown.
I went to their Falloween event and it was insane how much seating they had and how spread out it was. Straight up covered the whole park with benches and tables

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
all my tshirts gone to waste

MWQPY49.jpg

upon-time-girl-really-loved-baby-yoda-chick-fil-ladies-tee.jpg

chick-fil-a-disney-these-are-a-few-of-my-favorite-things-t-shirt.jpg
I know at least 6 people who would unironically wear this.
So these are conservatives from the OC with no tact, because what conservative needs that?

Also Disney is gay af, so fuck them.

This is great and should make the park less crowded.
Ahaha. Doubt it. I mean, Covid probably will help curb the number of people.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Hopefully this doesn't happen in Florida. I still plan on one day retiring to Florida and being able to go to Disney world whenever I want multiple times a year. Just to take a walk around and take pictures.

Like wake up and be like "um I'm bored I'm going to Disney today"

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Really hoping Disneyworld doesn't do the same.
Hopefully this doesn't happen in Florida. I still plan on one day retiring to Florida and being able to go to Disney world whenever I want multiple times a year. Just to take a walk around and take pictures.

Like wake up and be like "um I'm bored I'm going to Disney today"
About that

www.tampabay.com

Disney stops selling new annual passes in Florida

Its California counterparts ended annual pass programs completely.

Still renewing for current passholders for now though.