• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Over tax evasion, that's a hugely different story.

She could have kept her mouth shut.
You actually believe the Chinese government about...well, anything? That's exceedingly naive.

As much as this is a shitty thing to say, directing your anger at an individual who is just as vulnerable to abuses by the Chinese government as any other individual Chinese citizens rather than the authoritarian regime itself is misplaced anger. We are talking about a country where comparing the president to winnie the poo, or being Muslim, gets you sent to a concentration camp.

Plum

May 31, 2018
She's a naturalized American. Born and raised in China.

She's still an American citizen whether by-birth or not; but in the end does that really make a difference? She's clearly had enough exposure to the outside world to have had the ability to seek out or even accept viewpoints that aren't the ones she grew up with. If she chose to ignore all that as an adult then that's her fault.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
YevQxhG.jpg

16-Persona3-2-040.jpg

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You actually believe the Chinese government about...well, anything? That's exceedingly naive.

As much as this is a shitty thing to say, directing your anger at an individual who is just as vulnerable to abuses by the Chinese government as any other individual Chinese citizens rather than the authoritarian regime itself is misplaced anger. We are talking about a country where comparing the president to winnie the poo, or being Muslim, gets you sent to a concentration camp.
And not just her, her family as well.

She doesn't get to have her own opinion here.
I doubt it. Her adoptive father is one of the richest people in China. Even if the CCP told her to post that, I'd be surprised if she didn't agree with it anyway.
The idea that money matters when it comes to retribution while living under a regime like that is ridiculous.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
She's still an American citizen whether by-birth or not; but in the end does that really make a difference? She's clearly had enough exposure to the outside world to have had the ability to seek out or even accept viewpoints that aren't the ones she grew up with. If she chose to ignore all that as an adult then that's her fault.
She was raised in China, so she's probably had this sentiment drilled into her head. I definitely agree with you, but you could say the same for a bunch of Chinese celebrities. Unfortunately, many of them support the China even though they have international exposure. I was just saying that it's not surprising she thinks this way.

Plum

May 31, 2018

I think it's OK to direct some anger here because, unlike the majority of Chinese citizens who aren't rich enough to leave the country and live elsewhere, she has the money and life experience to make herself less vulnerable to the Chinese government. She has American citizenship, after all, and she has more than enough money to weather any potential.

She also has a very big platform so her choice to comment on this will no doubt increase anti-Hong Kong and pro-Police sentiments in China which will only worsen the position of the protestors. She's effectively acting as another arm of China's propaganda machine and, due to the reasons I mentioned above, she is more than likely doing so out of her own free will instead of through coercion.

She was raised in China, so she's probably had this sentiment drilled into her head. I definitely agree with you, but you could say the same for a bunch of Chinese celebrities. Unfortunately, many of them support the China even though they have international exposure. I was just saying that it's not surprising she thinks this way.

It's not surprising, definitely.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's OK to direct some anger here because, unlike the majority of Chinese citizens who aren't rich enough to leave the country and live elsewhere, she has the money and life experience to make herself less vulnerable to the Chinese government. She has American citizenship, after all, and she has more than enough money to weather any potential.

She also has a very big platform so her choice to comment on this will no doubt increase anti-Hong Kong and pro-Police sentiments in China which will only worsen the position of the protestors. She's effectively acting as another arm of China's propaganda machine and, due to the reasons I mentioned above, she is more than likely doing so out of her own free will instead of through coercion.

It's not surprising, definitely.
She is still vulnerable to the Chinese regime. Multiple famous, wealthy people in China have faced the wrath of the Chinese government and paid for it. But yes I agree with you that she is acting as a further propaganda arm and harming the goal of the protestors. I just choose to direct my anger at the Chinese government at not those at its mercy.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
And not just her, her family as well.

She doesn't get to have her own opinion here.

The idea that money matters when it comes to retribution while living under a regime like that is ridiculous.
What? Im not talking about her family being too wealthy to be punished or anything like that. Especially when the most successful female actress dissappeared for a few months. I

I'm saying that I'd be suprised if someone who grew up in one of the top 25 families in mainland China would be on the side of the protesters who are against mainland China. The patriotism is already drilled into the average persons head, it'd be even more if you're in a family like that. Your family is not getting that rich in an authoritarian country by being against the people in charge. Kids growing up in the richest families in the country aren't gonna really get exposed to negative things about the country either.

Her specific situation makes the odds even lower that she'd be on the protestors side. So even if they forced her to post that, I wouldn't be suprised if she didn't agree with it anyway.

But we'll never know

Last edited:

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Fan Bingbing disappeared for months. Scary stuff to be a celeb over there.
Liu Yifei: "Yes... I support the police... in Hong Kong....." *whispers* "Unless I could find asylum in some other country, I gotta say this shit! You know what happened to Fan Bingbig? Chinese government don't give a fuck!" *back to normal voice* "Yes,... China is right on this one... "

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Mulan was a heroic and courageous character who fought against oppression. What an utter miscast.

Plum

May 31, 2018
She is still vulnerable to the Chinese regime. Multiple famous, wealthy people in China have faced the wrath of the Chinese government and paid for it. But yes I agree with you that she is acting as a further propaganda arm and harming the goal of the protestors. I just choose to direct my anger at the Chinese government at not those at its mercy.

The thing is she's not "in China," because she has American citizenship. If the Chinese government were to make her 'disappear' then that would likely spark some kind of international incident or at the very least it would be a very obvious black mark on China's image on the world stage (which they do attempt to keep clean even if it's not exactly working). She's also the adopted daughter of, from a quick Google search, China's 12th richest entrepreneur and Chairman of one of China's biggest investment firms; that will no doubt decrease her vulnerability quite considerably.

So I think, in context, the likelihood that she said this due to some form of coercion is much less likely than the notion that she just genuinely believes this stuff and simply decided to retweet something in support of those beliefs. It's fine to direct your anger at the Chinese government but, in the end, a government has to be backed by those who genuinely support it. If it were the case that the Chinese government would have to coerce literally everyone who might make a simple retweet like this, especially if said people are part of the elite themselves, then they would have never grown as insidious as they are today.

Liu Yifei: "Yes... I support the police... in Hong Kong....." *whispers* "Unless I could find asylum in some other country, I gotta say this shit! You know what happened to Fan Bingbig? Chinese government DON'T GIVE A FUCK!"

She has American citizenship so she could move to L.A. right now and live out the rest of her days on Mulan money alone if she really wanted to. This is, at best, purely economic but it's more likely to just be her tweeting out her genuine beliefs (as if she wanted to be truly economic she just wouldn't say anything and risk angering no-one).

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
She literally left the US and moved back to China to pursue an acting career and got into the top state run film school.

She ain't saying a peep publicly against the Government. Ever.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is she's not "in China," because she has American citizenship. If the Chinese government were to make her 'disappear' then that would likely spark some kind of international incident or at the very least it would be a very obvious black mark on China's image on the world stage (which they do attempt to keep clean even if it's not exactly working). She's also the adopted daughter of, from a quick Google search, China's 12th richest entrepreneur and Chairman of one of China's biggest investment firms; that will no doubt decrease her vulnerability quite considerably.

So I think, in context, the likelihood that she said this due to some form of coercion is much less likely than the notion that she just genuinely believes this stuff and simply decided to retweet something in support of those beliefs. It's fine to direct your anger at the Chinese government but, in the end, a government has to be backed by those who genuinely support it. If it were the case that the Chinese government would have to coerce literally everyone who might make a simple retweet like this, especially if said people are part of the elite themselves, then they would have never grown as insidious as they are today.

She has American citizenship so she could move to L.A. right now and live out the rest of her days on Mulan money alone if she really wanted to. This is, at best, purely economic but it's more likely to just be her tweeting out her genuine beliefs (as if she wanted to be truly economic she just wouldn't say anything and risk angering no-one).
I don't think she's being coerced, I think she truly believes it. I'm just saying that Chinese citizens don't have much of a choice except to believe and support the government. Which is why I direct my anger at the government and not individual Chinese citizens.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I don't think she's being coerced, I think she truly believes it. I'm just saying that Chinese citizens don't have much of a choice except to believe and support the government. Which is why I direct my anger at the government and not individual Chinese citizens.

But she's not a Chinese citizen, she's a Chinese/American citizen and, as such, has more of a choice than most who live in China.

She also had the choice to simply not tweet out her support and, in turn, create more harmful propaganda that will be used to support the subjugation and abuse of those in Hong Kong. I think it's perfectly fine to direct anger in her direction because it shows that, even if people can't speak out against a regime, speaking out for a regime is still harmful.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Considering the state of China, there's no way to know wether that's a genuine emotion or just pandering to the ruling party.

Which is just... sad.

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The people who think she's pressured to do this are totally off the mark. This is not a robotic propaganda statement that someone is force to put out. The tweet is inciting and deeply insensitive. "I support HK police. Hit me if you will." What the hell is that?! It's like she woke up yesterday and decided to be a trolling brat: Yeah, I support HK police, so what... come at me bro.

Oct 26, 2017
BE A COP
you must be swift as a coursing river
BE A COP
with all the force of a great typhoon
BE A COP
with all the strength of a raging fire

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
The people who think she's pressured to do this are totally off the mark. This is not a robotic propaganda statement that someone is force to put out. The tweet is inciting and deeply insensitive. "I support HK police. Hit me if you will." What the hell is that?! It's like she woke up yesterday and decided to be a trolling brat: Yeah, I support HK police, so what... come at me bro.
It's a direct quote/reference to what someone else said.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would be interesting if Disney gets dragged into this conflict because of Mulan.

Live action Mulan is geared to appeal to the Chinese movie audience. The actors are not going to criticize China unless they're very brave and/or stupid. Disney may have to decide if it's pro-Hong Kong independence or anti-Hong Kong independence.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But she's not a Chinese citizen, she's a Chinese/American citizen and, as such, has more of a choice than most who live in China.

She also had the choice to simply not tweet out her support and, in turn, create more harmful propaganda that will be used to support the subjugation and abuse of those in Hong Kong. I think it's perfectly fine to direct anger in her direction because it shows that, even if people can't speak out against a regime, speaking out for a regime is still harmful.
Fair enough

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I should mention that even if an actor/actress is not a Chinese national, they may have relatives in China who would be endangered if they were an outspoken critic of the CCP. It is very difficult to tell when someone is speaking "under duress" and when they're speaking "of their own free will" when it comes to authoritarian regimes.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
All popular Chinese actors across mainland, Hongkong and Taiwan would not like to commit a career suicide over it. Like most movie stars in Hollywood would avoid talking about Palestine's' human-right condition and condoning Israel's brutality.
That's especially true for Disney who will no doubt do nothing over this despite having the freedom to remove her from the film and get an actor who doesn't openly condone police brutality.
If you think Disney would even dare to make a political stand in current climate, you must be pretty delusional. By contrast, It will be more likely to make a statement to endorse HK government and appraise to the mainland consumers.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Disney's latest financial roadmap involves appealing heavily to the Chinese movie going audience. They are not going to overhaul their business plans or sacrifice that market for the sake of Hong Kong. I would be extremely shocked and impressed if they did. Corporations are typically less principled than governments, and most liberal governments can't even bring themselves to back Hong Kong because of the risk of ruining relations with China.

Sucks but that's market capitalism for you. Money is more importnt than liberty.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Would be interesting if Disney gets dragged into this conflict because of Mulan.

Live action Mulan is geared to appeal to the Chinese movie audience. The actors are not going to criticize China unless they're very brave and/or stupid. Disney may have to decide if it's pro-Hong Kong independence or anti-Hong Kong independence.

They just won't say anything because, right now, that's the most economically-sound thing to do.

And whilst the actors are probably not going to criticise China but they can definitely just not say anything about it.

All popular Chinese actors across mainland, Hongkong and Taiwan would not like to commit a career suicide over it. Like most movie stars in Hollywood would avoid talking about Palestine's' human-right condition and condoning Israel's brutality.

If you think Disney would even dare to make a political stand in current climate, you must be pretty delusional. By contrast, It will be more likely to make a statement to endorse HK government and appraise to the mainland consumers.
Well yeah, but that doesn't mean I can't criticise them for not saying or doing anything (well they can't remove her from the film now, but the point still stands).

I should mention that even if an actor/actress is not a Chinese national, they may have relatives in China who would be endangered if they were an outspoken critic of the CCP. It is very difficult to tell when someone is speaking "under duress" and when they're speaking "of their own free will" when it comes to authoritarian regimes.

I just don't think it's likely at all here. Why would the Chinese government risk threatening the (god)daughter of the 12th richest person in the country just to get a generic retweet and basic-ass comment from them? Sure it's hard to tell for sure but in this case it really does seem like the actress made this statement from her own volition.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017

I was under the impression that China does not accept dual citizenship, except for people in Hong Kong.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just don't think it's likely at all here. Why would the Chinese government risk threatening the (god)daughter of the 12th richest person in the country just to get a generic retweet and basic-ass comment from them? Sure it's hard to tell for sure but in this case it really does seem like the actress made this statement from her own volition.
It doesn't need to be a literal threat. Just the knowledge that the CCP and Disney are keeping an eye on you would prevent you from speaking out of turn.

If your point is "why did she say anything at all instead of just keeping silent", I don't know. I could buy that she really feels this way which is why she spoke out.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't surprise me. They either truly support it. Or they have to keep putting on airs or their careers are ruined.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It doesn't need to be a literal threat. Just the knowledge that the CCP and Disney are keeping an eye on you would prevent you from speaking out of turn.

If your point is "why did she say anything at all instead of just keeping silent", I don't know. I could buy that she really feels this way which is why she spoke out.

That is my entire point, yes. People are saying that her saying anything was coerced by the Chinese government which is, honestly, very far-fetched. Regimes like that would really suck if they had to force statements out of random celebrities to survive, especially ones as innocuous as this one.

But I still stand by her actually believing this. She's the (god)daughter of a member of the Chinese elite and most reports from China's mainland show that the majority do actually believe that the police are in the right. Her supporting the police is as unsurprising to me as one of Trump's kids supporting America's police.

I was under the impression that China does not accept dual citizenship, except for people in Hong Kong.

I'm not well-versed in the details, but honestly I can't imagine that China would want to risk that kind of backlash just to get this basic-ass retweet post. She's not just a random citizen, after all.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But I still stand by her actually believing this. She's the (god)daughter of a member of the Chinese elite and most reports from China's mainland show that the majority do actually believe that the police are in the right. Her supporting the police is as unsurprising to me as one of Trump's kids supporting America's police.
Alternative, her elite relation suggested her to weigh in on China's side, just as a personal favor.

(This is approach tin-foil hat levels of assumptions.)

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, Liu Yifei, why you gotta be like that? :(

I'm not very familiar with her acting career, but she did some music in the past that I liked. She notably did Mayonaka no DOOR, the first ending song to the Power Puff Girls Z anime, and it's one of my favorite songs too. Gah.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not well-versed in the details, but honestly I can't imagine that China would want to risk that kind of backlash just to get this basic-ass retweet post. She's not just a random citizen, after all.

My point was more wondering if she even is a Chinese citizen anymore. Speaking to Chinese people here in Sweden (and I've known a few) only one of them took Swedish citizenship. The others didn't because they'd have to give up their Chinese citizenship and the one that did told me that she got a lot of shit from people back in China.