• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
when gal gadot says something nice about idf there's definitely some backlash (rightfully so if you ask me), but no one seems to care that stephen colbert visits the troops in iraq or afghanistan (just to drop the first example that comes to mind). to me there definitely seems to be a vibe that you can still label military and police institutions as being strictly good or bad if they're foreign enough, but our own institutions get more "shades of grey" evaluation.
Some people do but those are usually smaller voices from a smaller audience.

It is far more convenient for people to boycott other peoples' military/police institutions than their own, thanks to decades of pro-military, pro-police propaganda.

People will cry bloody murder if China does military exercises somewhere but when America sends her freedom loving troops to shoot brown people it's often "hoo-rah, America fuck yeah". Rare is the person who's a universal anti-imperialist.

Oct 25, 2017
to me, supporting american imperial wars (including the troops used to wage them) is also being a nationalist nutcase, and those wars are a permanent context. you wouldn't have to go to iraq or afghanistan to support them otherwise.

and i believe some whataboutism is in order at times, especially since there ain't nuthin we can do about china and their celebrities, but there might be something to be done closer to home.

Why not both? We do need to dismantle the "support our troops" mindset, but Hong Kong is front-and-center right now and it needs fuel to keep going. There will be plenty of time for the middle East, nothing is changing there anytime soon.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
China is a huge market for Disney. That is in the end all that is going to matter. The shareholders want maximum profit. They don't give a fuck about human rights.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
WKk8gOQ.png

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
a part of me wants to be sympathetic to her since I'm sure she faced hella pressure to support the Chinese police due to being from mainland China, but on the other hand I can'y ignore how irresponsible and dangerous it is to be a cheerleader for the Chinese fucking government.
Nah, she didn't face any pressure. Why would the CCP bother? The Hong Kong protests are extremely unpopular in China already, so going to this effort won't accomplish anything. Their greatest failing is to not bother making their position palatable with the Mainland so the protestors are all on their own in this.

Also as a rule, the federal government is very popular among Mainlanders to begin with. When it comes to issues regarding sovereignty and territorial integrity, the populace is generally even more aggressive than the CCP is. Nothing that Liu Yifei says is extraordinary because she's only reflecting what is already popular opinion.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
China is a huge market for Disney. That is in the end all that is going to matter. The shareholders want maximum profit. They don't give a fuck about human rights.

This is all I think it is really. With how well Disney is doing in China thanks to their movies selling well and now two theme parks in the country this is not a hornets nest they want to play with.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I just find this interesting because Disney is clearly not going to take any stance and hope everyone just forgets.

I just wonder what would happen if on an Avengers press tour one of the celebs said they loved Trump and just started showing up with a MAGA.

Thanquol

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 4, 2020
Does she still visits china? Does she have family there? That could maybe explain the reason behind it.