• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017
Disney's live-action remake of the animated film Mulan is facing calls for a boycott, after its star voiced support for Hong Kong's police force.

Chinese actress Liu Yifei, a naturalised US citizen, reposted a viral pro-police comment on Chinese social media platform Weibo. The territory has been convulsed by sometimes violent pro-democracy protests over the past 10 weeks.

Ms Liu had shared a Weibo post from the government-run Beijing newspaper People's Daily that read (in Chinese): "I also support Hong Kong police. You can beat me up now."
The post adds in English: "What a shame for Hong Kong."
Ms Liu shared the post and echoed the comment by saying: "I also support Hong Kong police."

But on Twitter, which is banned in China, the hashtag #BoycottMulan began gaining traction.
Twitter users accused the actress of supporting police brutality, and also pointed to the freedoms she enjoys as an American citizen.

Original Source: Hong Kong Reddit

Last edited:

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
While it's probably true all major celebs are 'forced' to do it to maintain their image and career status, it's still not a good reason to support authoritarian abuse of civilians

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Thread whining
Do we really need a thread about every opinion of every "celebrity" ?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's such an oddly written statement. Almost seems like she's saying "I support HK police and they can beat me".

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I don't blame her, I would probably shill for China too in her situation

Though if that's her actual opinion...

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do we really need a thread about every opinion of every "celebrity" ?

I was thinking that about the Shapiro thread from before but I realised that...I didn't have to read it or post in it. Wasn't worth the energy. You don't have to post/read every thread about every opinion of every "celebrity".

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
As do most people from mainland China. Why would she be any different just because she's famous?

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
I support unjustified police brutality and the beating of innocents.

Man, fuck her.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Chinese government has the power the end her career right now if she said otherwise. Don't say anything is best option oh well.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I just assumed shed be a government stooge the minute she was cast in Disney's big Mulan remake

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some celebrities attached to big projects should learn to shut the fuck up for the sake of the production. Some just don't have the cognitive development and nous to refrain from being a moron.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
She's from the mainland, so of course those are her views. I'd have been genuinely surprised if she'd felt otherwise.

Not sure vocalizing her opinions was the wisest thing.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of hope some people ask her about it when she'll be on press junket in the US. Just to see how comfortable she is shilling for the CCP while in America.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It's either that or "vacation" is some basement god knows where.
Who knows what she really thinks.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
No sane people would commit career suicide just because it is "the right thing"
...But this was an unforced admission, she wasn't being asked her opinion on this topic, she retweeted something and added a comment that was supportive of police brutality. There were so many ways to avoid this, but she did this because she wanted to, her career wasn't on the line.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Over tax evasion, that's a hugely different story.

Sure. Sure it was.
Funny how people want to criticize the regime, but then believe their bullshit cover stories when it suits them. 🤷‍♂️

Also i like how you have no problem with being secretly detained in a secret prison for months just for tax evasion, even if that was true.

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not the quality we're seeking in Mulan. Disney overlords will not be happy with it. But here is the problem with casting Chinese mainland actors, you play authoritarian games, sometimes you win authoritarian prizes.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
No sane people would commit career suicide just because it is "the right thing"
1565865222-wellidid.jpg

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sure. Sure it was.
Funny how people want to criticize the regime, but then believe their bullshit cover stories when it suits them. 🤷‍♂️

Also i like how you have no problem with being secretly detained in a secret prison for months just for tax evasion, even if that was true.
I'm not okay with it. When did I say I was okay with it? I'm just stating that Liu Yifei could've kept her mouth shut without any repercussions whereas you're comparing a person who has committed a federal crime. It was widely known that she tax evaded and the country had proof that she undertook the actions.

Plum

May 31, 2018
We wouldn't know. Given how fucked up it is I'm China, I am not surprised if someone forced her to post this

It doesn't exactly look like that to me, and even if it was that's still not a good excuse. That's especially true for Disney who will no doubt do nothing over this despite having the freedom to remove her from the film and get an actor who doesn't openly condone police brutality.

Firaga

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (A Month): Trolling over multiple posts in this thread; Recently returning from a ban for community-bashing.
Do you guys browse the internet daily searching for things to be outraged against?

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jackie Chan by far the biggest CCP shill and he is from HK. But everyone giving him a pass I dont know why?
Nobody is giving Jackie Chan a pass (i don't think). The guy is a disgrace as a human being. He runs around telling Chinese people shouldn't be free and need to be controlled. But this topic is not about him.