• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
The thing about Mulan is that outside of Mushu, there was very little in it that *required* the medium of animation, unlike Aladdin for example. It could always have been live action.

This looks decent.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Falconwoman is a fair trade for mushu, arguably the worse of Disney sidekicks

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I wasn't following this - but where is Mushu?!

I don't know, this looks like a movie made by the CCP for some reason.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty good. I've never seen the original since I was pretty much over the "whacky celebrity-voiced sidekick" Disney trope when it came out.

I am a little skeptical that they gave this to a director without much experience in action films.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Weirdly sad that the market is...very Chinese and we won't get Li Shang struggling with his sexuality

2SCIAHW.gif

Anyways, I thought it was quite a lovely trailer

Last edited:

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
It's pretty good. I guess the fact that it was a animated movie without a lot of "animated shenanigans" (except Mushu) makes it easier to switch to live action.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Without the music, my wife and children really won't care about this live action remake.

Samuel

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like every other ancient Chinese drama.. but with less charm somehow.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's because it is. The main star openly tweeted support to HK police too.

I mean, did she openly support it, or did she "support it ---- or else"?

And forreal. Im on the side of folks not missing Mushu in this. That stuff works in a cartoon; but I'm not sure how much a wisecracking dragon fits into all this (he barely fit in the original Disney picture).

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
That looks pretty rad.

Also YouTube's auto closed captioning is hilarious. Instead of "close the gates" it says "loser guy" lmao

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Pretty sure that each the commander and the emperor could take out the northern invaders solo, but I guess that's a different movie.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Looks a great deal more suited to live action than most of the remakes.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I just realized Jet Li is the emperor lol.

I see they changed the commander so their is no love relationship. Probably best since Donnie yen is wwaaaayyyyy older than Yifei

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
It was a pretty boring movie before, but it's utterly worthless without the songs now.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
This looks way more interesting than other Disney remakes.

I hope they let Mulan kill some people. Pirates lets its heroes kill people, so DIsney should be alright with it, but I dunno if they'll want to do it for one of their animated classic remakes.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Is it bad that i am glad they are not doing Mushu in this one, i just think it wouldn't work like Will Smith Genie

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, please don't forget that the actress for Mulan supports police brutality in Hong Kong. She is trash and the movie along with it.

Tty7BwN.jpg

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Huns are really disrespecting that wall.

I worry how chinese government approved this movie might be though

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
I was disappointed about this not being a musical.. but that orchestral version of Reflection is so good. Glad they kept that. I wonder if the other songs will be redone

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
We have three big budget movies made by Disney that are going to appeal to the Chinease Audience heavily (Shang-Chi, Mulan and Raya and the Last Dragon). If Shang-Chi came out in 2020 it would be a trifecta

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I do admit that this movie as a stellar cast:
Jason Scott Lee, Jet-Li, Donnie Yen, Tzi Ma, Rosalind Chao,Pei-pei Cheng

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a pretty standard Wuxia movie.....?

Without the music and comedy it is hard to see why specifically Disney needs to make this movie.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I read all of it, lol. It's hilarious.
This was hilariously amazing.

My bad, I added the final few panels if you were totally invested in the new (better) narrative.

I do admit that this movie as a stellar cast:
Jason Scott Lee, Jet-Li, Donnie Yen, Tzi Ma, Rosalind Chao,Pei-pei Cheng

Holy smokes! I didnt even recognize Jason Scott Lee but that's awesome

Apr 19, 2018
I was disappointed about this not being a musical.. but that orchestral version of Reflection is so good. Glad they kept that. I wonder if the other songs will be redone

Unless this was an arrangement created specifically for the trailer, and won't be included in the movie itself.

But in the absence of the songs, they'd be crazy not to go the orchestral/instrumental arranged route.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
My wife loves Disney and as soon as we met she forced me... I mean, she invited me to watch all of the big animations from the Disney Renaissance. I know I'm in the minority here, but I found all of them very boring... except for Mulan. I thought it would suck, but in the end, I found it super fun and exciting. I'm looking forward to watch the movie. In fact, I think this might end up even better than the animation, since the animation already had this live-action movie vibe.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
It looks pretty drab to me. I get it, this probably isn't for me but Mulan is my favorite Disney movie so kind of disappointing I'm not at all excited.