• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't following this - but where is Mushu?!

I don't know, this looks like a movie made by the CCP for some reason.

I suspect it is made to be pretty CCP friendly. It's less about Mulan as an empowered woman breaking the rules and gender standards, but more about serving the country etc.

All that about loyalty and honour reminds me of how the Hong Kong's police force changed their motto recently from "We Serve with Pride and Care" to "Serving Hong Kong with Honour, Duty and Loyalty".

New-Project-2.jpg

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I suspect it is made to be pretty CCP friendly. It's less about Mulan as an empowered woman breaking the rules and gender standards, but more about serving the country etc.
The original story of Han Mulan was about filial piety and strong confucian values.
Not sure where you're getting the other context (other than the Disney movie I guess.)

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Why do these remakes have Marvel movie cinematography. This looks cheap as fuck when assuredly the budget is high.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty impressed. Looks like they are doing more than the bare minimum on the other remakes.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I expect this to be an average to bad film that I'll personally dislike but will go on to make a billion dollars, as all of these live action remakes have done.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This one looks like it justifies the attempt by at least doing something different with the story too.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
At least this live action adaptation is somewhat different than the animation, story wise somehow. Everyone complained that The Lion King was pretty much shot for shot.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Cinematography looks great, but I don't like the performance for Mulan. Seems stilted and lacking energy in the emotional scenes, and doesn't pass for a guy, especially when she speaks. It was believable in the animated movie, but here it's a beyond-Mrs.-Doubtfire level of suspension of disbelief.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
I mean, did she openly support it, or did she "support it ---- or else"?

And forreal. Im on the side of folks not missing Mushu in this. That stuff works in a cartoon; but I'm not sure how much a wisecracking dragon fits into all this (he barely fit in the original Disney picture).
Or was it her "state approved" publicist.

Don't want your "Social Credit Score" to go down. She's too high profile right now for anything to happen to her, but your Social Credit Score also reflects on your friends and relatives. Like your parents.
So, Tweet in favor of Hong Kong Police or your parents disappear in the night.

That's the real horror of current China that everyone is ignoring.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Unless this was an arrangement created specifically for the trailer, and won't be included in the movie itself.

But in the absence of the songs, they'd be crazy not to go the orchestral/instrumental arranged route.
I believe they already confirmed the songs would appear as instrumentals.

I would die if "Be a Man" (with lyrics) appeared as a montage song. Could see Reflection being an end credits thing. Really, the other two songs ("Honor to Us All," "A Girl Worth Fighting For") are cute but I wouldn't be too hung up if they didn't appear other than as part of the score.

Mulan is weird in that it stops being a musical halfway through, so I guess I never really thought of it as one.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
looks alright still dont like that my man mushu got turned into a phoenix and probably lost his charm. Also not sure about this witch villain tbh.

will probably still end up going tho so hopin for the best like always

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
seems pretty decent
probably will be the 1st live action disney i watch

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
Looks alright, really dug the original so not sure how this will compare.

Didn't this movie have like 4 months of reshoots? I wonder why so much needed to change.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Man compare how this movie look to the work of Christopher Doyle on something like Hero... It's so far from it.

Anyway the official tweet is already full of chinese account singing its praise so I'm assuming it'll be huge there. Feels like they're doing it more for mainland China than the rest of the world. An unfortunate timing that makes me really bitter, even though I love the original story.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i dunno i think its ok, but i liked the first trailer more, i thought they would make something more historical accurate and realistic, that sorceress or something destroys that idea.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Without it being a musical I have no interest. If I want to watch a good Mulan movie I'll watch the one that came out in China a few years back.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man compare how this movie look to the work of Christopher Doyle on something like Hero... It's so far from it.

Anyway the official tweet is already full of chinese account singing its praise so I'm assuming it'll be huge there. Feels like they're doing it more for mainland China than the rest of the world. An unfortunate timing that makes me really bitter, even though I love the original story.
It's kind of funny that it's still in english. Initially I wondered if they might even go as far as to shoot every scene twice, once in english and once in mandarin but I guess that's not the case.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Mulan is also my favorite Disney film, so I'm not sure how to feel about this...

I can understand no Mushu(though I totally expected 'please guardians watch over her' to lead into Eddie Murphy showing up, lol), but no music is... not sure if want.

Also, isn't the Falcon lady supposed to be working with the not-Huns?

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks ok. Is it going to be PG? Fights are probably going to be tame and boring to keep it at that rating. Might have been more fun to stick to the original and camp it up with singing and Mushu. They went all super serious but might be handcuffed by the kids movie relation and rating.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked how relatively grounded the original was outside of the sidekicks.
Turning Mulan from a soldier to a kung-fu wire swordsman fighting a witch is definitely going to ruin it for me.