• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
There are videos of restrained protesters getting beaten. There's no excuse for that.

In cases where they're already detained and not resisting, I agree, there isn't an excuse. It's a far cry from outright killing though.

LOL, didn't know Resetera allowed CCP propagandists in here. There have been numerous videos, photo and credible witness statements that bring to light the abuses of the "HK" cops. Defending their actions is just willful ignorance at this point or deliberate propaganda.

It's just like ResetEra to assume that I'm some kind of CCP propagandist just because I happen to not agree with the movement. You do realize that's how normal civilians are getting injured by the more violent protestors, right? They disagree with their methods and then are immediately accused as some kind of Chinese government supporter. Hardly democratic behavior IMO.

I don't support the CCP at all, but I also don't support what the HK protest movement has become after the bill was withdrawn. I'm aware that there have been abuses by the HK police. But I'm also aware that the protests have gone nowhere at this point and a large portion is destruction for the sake of destruction. There are no "good sides" here, but there are good people on both sides. I know that there are protestors who don't partake in the violence that are peaceful. And I have a friend who has HK relatives in the police force that are trying their best to stop the vandalism and maintain order without excessive force.

This is not a black and white situation, but a very grey one. If you can't see that then it's just willful ignorance at this point.

Anyways to keep on topic--- this is an interesting trailer, there's no Mushu but I see a clawed bird lady on the villain's side. Are we to expect musical moments in this or will this be the first adaptation without songs?

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah..Mulan is a national hero in China, and we basically made a joke out of it. They did one of those 'street' interviews and that was the basic gist, that Mulan was a national hero that every child learned about, but we made it a joke with a talking dragon.
Is she really though? She came from one poem written by an unknown author. Maybe that gets brought up in a Chinese class or doesn't. National hero lol

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
In cases where they're already detained and not resisting, I agree, there isn't an excuse. It's a far cry from outright killing though.

It's just like ResetEra to assume that I'm some kind of CCP propagandist just because I happen to not agree with the movement. You do realize that's how normal civilians are getting injured by the more violent protestors, right? They disagree with their methods and then are immediately accused as some kind of Chinese government supporter. Hardly democratic behavior IMO.

I don't support the CCP at all, but I also don't support what the HK protest movement has become after the bill was withdrawn. I'm aware that there have been abuses by the HK police. But I'm also aware that the protests have gone nowhere at this point and a large portion is destruction for the sake of destruction. There are no "good sides" here, but there are good people on both sides. I know that there are protestors who don't partake in the violence that are peaceful. And I have a friend who has HK relatives in the police force that are trying their best to stop the vandalism and maintain order without excessive force.

This is not a black and white situation, but a very grey one. If you can't see that then it's just willful ignorance at this point.

Anyways to keep on topic--- this is an interesting trailer, there's no Mushu but I see a clawed bird lady on the villain's side. Are we to expect musical moments in this or will this be the first adaptation without songs?

You are aware that they had local council elections recently don't you where there was a high turnout and was a overwhelming victory for pro-democracy candidates, right? It showed how the people in HK see the matter and still support the protestors against the police brutality.

The violence a month or so ago came after a long history of peaceful protests in Hong Kong and the government. I don't think you can just say 'both sides' in this scenario when the government and police has all the power and authority and multiple instances when they can deescalate the situation but chose not to. You can say there good/bad people on both sides, but while protestors gets arrested, police violence have so far had no consequence.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
In this thread: a lot of white Americans dismissing Disney actually (apparently) holding true to the cultural background of the product they are making because it doesn't appeal to them.

Great.

This looks good. The only thing that makes these live action remakes worthwhile is if they take a different tack with them, which this apparently does.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Is she really though? She came from one poem written by an unknown author. Maybe that gets brought up in a Chinese class or doesn't. National hero lol

Its ancedotal, but they did one of those, street interview things and many people talked about how she was taught to them when they were in grade school, and how famous they were. It could be true or not. I guess we will see the impact of this character there.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
You are aware that they had local council elections recently don't you where there was a high turnout and was a overwhelming victory for pro-democracy candidates, right? It showed how the people in HK see the matter and still support the protestors against the police brutality.

The violence a month or so ago came after a long history of peaceful protests in Hong Kong and the government. I don't think you can just say 'both sides' in this scenario when the government and police has all the power and authority and multiple instances when they can deescalate the situation but chose not to. You can say there good/bad people on both sides, but while protestors gets arrested, police violence have so far had no consequence.

I'm well aware of the elections that recently took place, but that's a different matter. I was referring to the fact that there are some folks in HK who don't agree with the movement or violent methods but are either slandered or themselves brutalized. We're in the minority, but there are those of us who consider ourselves more in the neutral territory, you know?

The HK Police could be handling things a lot better but when both sides are using excessive force against one another, what do you expect would happen? Either side is going to get fed up at some point and someone is going to escalate the situation further. It should be the duty of the police to refrain from doing that, but that doesn't mean that violent protestors should get away scot free either. Arson, brick throwing and rampant vandalism of the MTR are criminal acts that invite arrest, and I don't understand what either of those things have to do with democracy. I use the term 'both sides' in this situation because while the government side does have more authoritative power, the protestor side should have the capability to deescalate their actions as well. They shouldn't be getting a free pass to do whatever they want to the city just because it's all under the banner of fighting for democratic freedoms. The day when they infiltrated and vandalized the LegCo building was when the movement lost me. That just shouldn't happen no matter what country you're in.

I don't know how this will all end, but I do want to see HK restored back to normal (or better off than before) without mainland intervention.

I think this topic (about a Disney movie of all things) has been muddled enough with this talk so if this particular discussion were to continue it would have to be done in a separate topic IMO. I think I'm done now though. :P

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Watched the trailer several times over the past few days, and each time I get the feels when I hear the orchestral Reflection start to crescendo. The lack of an animated character a la Genie from Aladdin definitely will give it a more serious vibe so I'm excited to see it!

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
timing for release is bad, during a time where CCP Mainland China nationalism is squashing dessent in Honk Kong and holding "re-education" camps for Uyghurs while holding the entire country in facial recognition 1984 dystopia

Oct 30, 2017
I'm well aware of the elections that recently took place, but that's a different matter. I was referring to the fact that there are some folks in HK who don't agree with the movement or violent methods but are either slandered or themselves brutalized. We're in the minority, but there are those of us who consider ourselves more in the neutral territory, you know?

The HK Police could be handling things a lot better but when both sides are using excessive force against one another, what do you expect would happen? Either side is going to get fed up at some point and someone is going to escalate the situation further. It should be the duty of the police to refrain from doing that, but that doesn't mean that violent protestors should get away scot free either. Arson, brick throwing and rampant vandalism of the MTR are criminal acts that invite arrest, and I don't understand what either of those things have to do with democracy. I use the term 'both sides' in this situation because while the government side does have more authoritative power, the protestor side should have the capability to deescalate their actions as well. They shouldn't be getting a free pass to do whatever they want to the city just because it's all under the banner of fighting for democratic freedoms. The day when they infiltrated and vandalized the LegCo building was when the movement lost me. That just shouldn't happen no matter what country you're in.

I don't know how this will all end, but I do want to see HK restored back to normal (or better off than before) without mainland intervention.

I think this topic (about a Disney movie of all things) has been muddled enough with this talk so if this particular discussion were to continue it would have to be done in a separate topic IMO. I think I'm done now though. :P

The degree between of crimes you are talking about here has a large gap. One side is vandalizing things, the other is abusing human beings. One side is armored up, weapons ready and supposed to be trained in dealing with these types of conflict, the other just civilians with no access to the type of material or expertise the other side has.

All I see you saying is you respect the material things better and have no empathy for people.

Protestors fight to run because getting arrested means a crime will be committed on them that won't have consequences. And the police has done nothing for people to earn their trust.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, please don't forget that the actress for Mulan supports police brutality in Hong Kong. She is trash and the movie along with it.

Tty7BwN.jpg

This!
The actress is a piece of shit. #boycottmulan

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
The degree between of crimes you are talking about here has a large gap. One side is vandalizing things, the other is abusing human beings. One side is armored up, weapons ready and supposed to be trained in dealing with these types of conflict, the other just civilians with no access to the type of material or expertise the other side has.

Both the police and the protestors have been brutalizing people in this grand conflict. There was an officer than drew his gun and shot at an approaching protestor amidst a struggle with another protestor. There wasn't a need for using that weapon in that situation and yet he did so anyways. Not long after, you've got protestors lighting a man on fire just because he disagreed with them. The gap in crimes really isn't that big, and there are many examples besides just the two mentioned here.

Also, the police may be more well equipped, but the protestor side is no slouch either. Have you seen the makeshift barricades, melee weapons, shields and body armor used in these conflicts? Not to mention the molotovs and eye blinding lasers they carry. Don't try to downplay one side.

All I see you saying is you respect the material things better and have no empathy for people.

Did you miss the part when I was talking about people being intimidated because they didn't support the movement?

You're wrong by the way. It's true that I have concern over the city's property and infrastructure, they're part of what makes the city function. But that also correlates to public safety and people's well being. I have no empathy for people that recklessly disregard and endanger other lives by throwing bricks and other objects at people trying to clean the streets of the mess that they left behind, or obstructive objects tossed onto MTR train tracks.

Protestors fight to run because getting arrested means a crime will be committed on them that won't have consequences.

Then what about the guys that just get into outright confrontations with the police?

And the police has done nothing for people to earn their trust.

On that I agree. Like how they just let people storm into the LegCo building like they owned the place. Pure cowardice on the part of the police. Also, those rumors about disguising themselves as protestors.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

The protestors isn't a singular body, at the beginning of the summer 2 million to to the streets for a peaceful march. The protest aren't just a singular organised group. The government invited the situation to escalate, they could have stopped the protestors storming the LegCo building if they really wanted, but they didn't. The protest anthems, the art movement, the human chain etc. show variety of forms of protests.

I have said at the time that the protest has to continue to change form because the violence was playing into the governments hands. They wanted to use incidents of violence to discredit the whole movement and it seemed like it was working. The elections came at the right time for the protests, because it showed that the general populace of HK did not buy into that narrative, and it gave the people a semblance of a voice. That has relieved the tension to an extent.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
This movie has CCP stink all over it.
See: this racist shit.

Protestors fight to run because getting arrested means a crime will be committed on them that won't have consequences. And the police has done nothing for people to earn their trust.
The protestors have been assaulting people as well, under the justification that they are infiltrators (aka they sound like or are mainlanders). IIRC the lead actress's comments are about a mainland journalist getting beaten by pro-Hong Kong protestors/rioters for voicing support for the Chinese government.

Oct 30, 2017

I agree that, some protesters have been rowdy and violent. But that is a decentralized organization, not even a "real" organization just a gathering of people that agree with the 5 demands. No standards are set or training given or qualifications to follow.

The bigger threat here is still the police. They are an institution. They are supposed to be better than what they have shown themselves as. They have continually committed human rights abuses worse than what the protesters have committed. Like the gap is really high here for a government institution. They show no motivation to address those wrong doings. Even your example shows that the protesters are reacting to injustice.

Whenever public officials or public service is involved there must be accountability. They are given a huge privilege and power to serve people. In literal terms they have better gear, better resources, supposedly better training and supposedly better organization. But they aren't really using those standards when it comes to dealing with this crisis.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
See: this racist shit.

The protestors have been assaulting people as well, under the justification that they are infiltrators (aka they sound like or are mainlanders). IIRC the lead actress's comments are about a mainland journalist getting beaten by pro-Hong Kong protestors/rioters for voicing support for the Chinese government.

I'm Chinese and even I see the CCP stink. It's not racist. It literally stinks of communist propaganda.

Remember that the protesters are random individuals. There might be some mob mentality, but in the end it's only a few group of bad individuals versus an organised police force who have been ordered and trained to brutalised anyone who stands against them, the HK gov and the CCP.

The police should stand for justice and rule of law. They are not. And this actress supports those POS and she herself is thus a POS. Not buts. She is a part of large mainland Chinese population that supports ethnic cleansing and that is slowly happening in HK too.

Menik

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Why is there a witch and why is she allowed to fight within the context of the movie? The whole point of Mulan is the main character being true to herself and fighting for her family under a false gender due to tradition/gender roles. Having another female there on the battlefield diminishes that a lot, doesn't it?

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
The damn orchestral version of Reflection and that "blessed with two daughters" line got me in the feels guys, fucking Disney ugh.

Why is there a witch and why is she allowed to fight within the context of the movie? The whole point of Mulan is the main character being true to herself and fighting for her family under a false gender due to tradition/gender roles. Having another female there on the battlefield diminishes that a lot, doesn't it?
I read that, in some versions of the folklore, the invaders apparently had the assistance of a witch. Not necessarily a shape-shifting witch in this case, but I think the falcon is a nice nod to the original animated film. Having a witch also gives the movie an excuse to show fantastical action sequences.

It looks like Disney is striving to be a little more faithful to the actual source material this time around and to Chinese culture of that time period. Notice how Mulan didn't cut her hair!

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mulan is my favourite of all the animated Disney films - its everything people claim Frozen to be.

While this looks like a decent take as opposed to the copy-pasta the other remakes indulge in, I dont know...

Without Make a man out of you, is it still Mulan?

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017

It looks like the witch and Mulan have some one-on-one dialogue that maybe isn't wholly antagonistic, so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.